PDA

View Full Version : DCS 2014 Awards

Iznodmad
06-16-2014, 11:51 AM
Just thought I would open this up and see who among us here in DMCTalk got awards. Here is mine. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/16/e4uva2ub.jpg

I registered both my cars, but was only able to take my daily driver #16128. I was shocked and honored to achieve "Best Of Show". http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/16/dadyte8e.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/16/uqape7uq.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/16/ja9usyge.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/16/ry2ydy8a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/16/su8ugy2y.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/16/7ynyme9u.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/16/yqy5anu4.jpg

My car neighbor was Lenny. Nice to meet you Lenny. You have a fantastic car. Right across from me was Jonathan. Great to meet you as well. There were several others as well that I finally got to put a face with a name/handle. I wish we could all get together more often. Guess it will be another couple of years....

RammJaeger
06-16-2014, 12:00 PM
How do I get my engine to look that nice :)

Iznodmad
06-16-2014, 12:06 PM
Step one...send it to DPI. Step 2...don't let it get too dirty. I give it a mini detail monthly. This is 2 years and about 25,000 miles after the work was completed. Looks as good as when it was fresh. I did drive the car sparingly the week before DCS, and spent lots of time with a steam cleaner and q-tips, so all I had to do was get the grime from driving it up to Ohio off before the judging. No trailers for me!

Jonathan
06-16-2014, 12:36 PM
Likewise Darren. Tons of good memories from the weekend and +1 on seeing each other more often/again.

You mentioned you felt shocked and honored, however undeserving definitely isn't one way to describe you or your car from what I saw. Your car was really, really nice. I know many use this phrase about good cars and great cars and yours was amazing. The attention to detail I think it was you stressed to me makes the difference and I can see that.

You came over to my car when I was trying to understand what the expectations are for me or the car for judging and was talking about what nooks and crannies to clean, etc. And then you said, "oh, and your brake pedal pad is on upside down." I just put it back on the correct way when I got home this afternoon :)

It's bizarre how well most of us know our cars but cannot see things not right about them when we so rarely have something to compare it to. I have had my face an inch from that brake pedal and many other times I'd seen it and it never occurred to me it was installed 180 degrees off (thick part of pad down not up).

I learned quite a few little things from other owners like the door lights are supposed to have two diodes to turn the warning light on with either door, but only the door's lights of the one actually open are supposed to illuminate. A car neighbor spotted my door lights later on as it got dark and the passenger was on when the driver was open.

Dave S. came over to look at my car on Thursday and I was thrilled to show him what his help got me to 7 years after buying it. He asks me if I have a 13 mm wrench and in about 2 minutes it was zip-zip and we had made an adjustment to the louvre position I didn't even know wasn't in the right spot.

I didn't enter the judging formally, but my intention all along was just to learn about what isn't quite right on my car and I got that anyway. Thanks Darren and others.

Jeremy Popp
06-16-2014, 12:42 PM
Just thought I would open this up and see who among us here in DMCTalk got awards. Here is mine.....

Congrats on the award, I talked to you briefly while Christopher Lloyd was near your car.

My car took 1st place in the 30k-40k category. I know there were cleaner cars than mine, but they must have been in different categories. Great show overall.

gulwng3
06-16-2014, 02:34 PM
Hey Darrin, I was scratching my head when you didn't win 1st place in your division, but then all was right with the world when you won Best in Show. I've never been to a car show where the Best in Show wasn't a first place winner in their division, but whatever...

We won 3rd place in the modified division with our red Delorean. I guess the Stage I exhaust put us in that division, which was good since the competition was fierce in the painted D division... ;o)

Andy

Hokie
06-16-2014, 03:20 PM
Best of Show with your daily driver? That is absolutely incredible! Congrats. Darren!

Flash66
06-16-2014, 03:23 PM
Step one...send it to DPI. Step 2...don't let it get too dirty. I give it a mini detail monthly. This is 2 years and about 25,000 miles after the work was completed. Looks as good as when it was fresh. I did drive the car sparingly the week before DCS, and spent lots of time with a steam cleaner and q-tips, so all I had to do was get the grime from driving it up to Ohio off before the judging. No trailers for me!

And just curious ball park, what does DPI charge for this?

Dangermouse
06-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Pics of these award winners please :wave2:

Iznodmad
06-16-2014, 10:01 PM
I don't know what DPI charges for engine appearance packages. I had a ton of work completed in early 2012. I'm sure it is different depending upon engine condition of course.

I'll tell you this about DPI though. I arrived at the hotel parking lot Thursday afternoon and just happen to pull in a parking spot right where Josh was standing. I mention to him that my outer door seals had come loose. We talk about a few other things and he leaves. About 10-15 minutes later, he shows back up with sealant and fixes my door seal right then and there. That's the type of service DPI provides. In fact, there are a couple of pics of Josh in action on the Grenex Media FB page providing this service I mention. Check it out.

Citizen
06-16-2014, 10:37 PM
I was shocked and honored to achieve "Best Of Show".

I don't know why you were shocked, I saw your car, and it is beautiful!

Thomas

Jimmyvonviggle
06-17-2014, 12:20 AM
I don't know what DPI charges for engine appearance packages. I had a ton of work completed in early 2012. I'm sure it is different depending upon engine condition of course.

I'll tell you this about DPI though. I arrived at the hotel parking lot Thursday afternoon and just happen to pull in a parking spot right where Josh was standing. I mention to him that my outer door seals had come loose. We talk about a few other things and he leaves. About 10-15 minutes later, he shows back up with sealant and fixes my door seal right then and there. That's the type of service DPI provides. In fact, there are a couple of pics of Josh in action on the Grenex Media FB page providing this service I mention. Check it out.

I was wondering what Josh was doing, thanks for clearing that up.

Flash66
06-17-2014, 05:21 AM

I'm sure he's a jam up guy. I've read only great things about Josh, and his services. But I'm in Vegas and he's in Ohio, so I was just hoping for a ball park of what someone else paid for the service. I guess I'll just contact him direct. My car is now with the rear fascia and back plate off, along with the compressor, and the engine is now very accessible as I am starting to do some restoration, and of course pics of Josh's work start cropping up leaving me with a different feeling of how good I'll do compared to the meticulous photos I've recently seen. To be honest, my engine runs superbly but the bay looks tired and weathered. You know the barnacles of oxidation, loss of color to most components and the pontoon is also not uniform black any longer. I just did a thorough cleaning over the weekend with steam and degreaser and now its clean but honestly it looked better dirty.... I was thinking to go ahead and remove the quarters to give the pontoon a fresh coat of black, venture into the VOD and start removing, blasting parts with media, repainting and send some out for powder coat. My car is vin 16811 and a very nice 83. Interior is 98% and my undercarriage despite some black undercoat is in very good shape as well. I was thinking if I could get what is left that needs to be done including transportation to Josh for around 7k, I just may let him have it. As much as I love doing some restoration on my D, the thought of writing a check and getting close to a new car is sounding pretty darn good. I'm really not looking forward to breaking, drilling and tapping a butt load of bolts and studs or just getting myself pissed off on a daily basis. I would also imagine he'd have it done much faster than I could. But also the fear of getting many phone calls or emails while he has the car saying "you need this and you need that" is also a little scary. I dunno, I had her since 99 and still in love, so she's worth it. What? Huh? No, not you honey... I was talking about my car! ;)

Bitsyncmaster
06-17-2014, 06:08 AM
I got third place for the 20 to 30 Kmile cars. But after the drive home, I'm now above 30 Kmiles so now I would have more cars to compete with. I don't do much cosmetic work on my car so I guess there were small numbers of cars I competed with.

tommyrich
06-17-2014, 07:42 AM
I was genuinely surprised, there were severl nice swaps there...

gulwng3
06-17-2014, 09:35 AM

Is that a French spelling of Engine Conversion? :hysterical:

Andy

Iznodmad
06-17-2014, 09:50 AM
I don't know why you were shocked, I saw your car, and it is beautiful!

Thomas

I was shocked/surprised because there were so many very nicely prepped cars there. #16128 is my daily driver DeLorean. I drove it up there in 2-3 rainstorms, and it was filthy on arrival. Other cars came in on enclosed trailers, or very local cars that didn't have far to drive, or cars that are not driven much at all. I figured my only chance was the mileage category, and when I didn't hear my name called for that category, I though that was it. Apparently I was wrong.

I have no idea what I said up on stage, that was frightening to me. I just wanted off that stage. Someone in the crowd shouted out, "tell us about the car". And I started rambling. Later on I will write the history of my car, that's probably what the lady wanted, but I was suffering from stage fright at the time. I'm not a public speaker by any means. On the old Dmctalk site, I had the history of my car....but that is long gone.

Thanks again to everyone, and congrats to all the other winners. I saw all your cars and they looked great. I hope more winners step forward and let us all know who you are and what you got.

Nicholas R
06-17-2014, 05:27 PM

You bested me again Tom!! One of these days :wink:

At least they spelled "Conversion" right on second place, lol http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/18/ugytybaz.jpg

tommyrich
06-17-2014, 09:48 PM
At least they spelled "Conversion" right on second place, lol

Touche...but I still won't trade :) ... Seriously though, your car is awesome. You should be proud!

Tom

P.S. It was also great to finally meet you!

awildermode
06-18-2014, 11:23 AM

Is yours the one with the closing doors?

tommyrich
06-18-2014, 12:39 PM
Is yours the one with the closing doors?

Yes, or... Dave and I call them "anti-launchers". I will try to post a video, but it has been a crazy week. We got home at midnight Sunday. The car we were following blew its clutch on the way home...on a Sunday...in rural Ohio. Took several hours to get a tow. I haven't caught up yet. :-)
Tom

awildermode
06-18-2014, 01:03 PM
Yes, or... Dave and I call them "anti-launchers". I will try to post a video, but it has been a crazy week. We got home at midnight Sunday. The car we were following blew its clutch on the way home...on a Sunday...in rural Ohio. Took several hours to get a tow. I haven't caught up yet. :-)
Tom

That was the awesomest mod I have ever seen on a DeLorean. I was too occupied with picking up my jaw off the floor, and for got to take pictures/video of it. Wow, just WOW!

Now, make the hood, louvre, and engine cover do it. :giddy:

Timebender
06-18-2014, 01:14 PM
Did you replace your gas door struts with linear actuators for that? If so what size?

Dangermouse
06-18-2014, 01:22 PM
So who were the 1-2-3 in Best Painted and Best Modified?

vin6635
06-18-2014, 01:22 PM
I won first place in the 60-70k class at this year's DCS. In 2010 I won 2nd in the 40-60k class. In the past four years I replaced my eyebrowed fascia with a fiberglass fascia and replaced my original carpet with the Houston replacement set. Most everything else was the same. Next time I'll most surely be in the +70k class and I have a few ideas of additional things I want to take care of before then.

Great to meet so many of you this past weekend!

Rich R

Project Vixen
06-18-2014, 01:50 PM
No awards this time for Project Vixen. =( At our last show (Pheasant Run) we took first in the 'under 10k miles' category. They only had an 'under 20k miles' this time, which had some truly amazing cars! It was a honor to be parked among them.

But to quote Walt Disney, “Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new [gullwing] doors and doing new things… and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

We learned a lot of new things and got a LOT of great ideas at the show. It gives me motivation to improve and "keep moving forward"!

Rich W
06-18-2014, 02:30 PM

Non-Concours judging was a bit different this time and so were the categories. Only the cars under the tents were judged,
with a few exceptions that were "Exhibit Only" such as Proto-1. The D Rex and the DeLorean Limo were not under the tents.

Although I do not recall all of the categories, I believe the mileage classes encompassed both painted and stock finished cars
and the only other class for painted cars was the "Painted - Modified" class, so no extra class for "Painted" stock/mild custom.

There was a "Best Engine Swap" class, but no "Best Modified" class (IIRC). Marty Maier has a very nice mild custom turbo car
and I believe he was a winner in one of the mileage classes, not in a modified class.

gulwng3
06-18-2014, 02:58 PM

Actually, there were separate classes for Best Painted and Best Modified.

Best Painted:
#1 = Curtis (no surprise there!)
#2 = the black D with yellow interior (very clean car)
#3 = a red Delorean from Ohio (very nice overall)

Best Modified:
#1 = dunno
#2 = dunno
#3 = our red Delorean with Stage I exhaust (my wife accepted the award)

Sorry I don't know most owners names - I met a few folks, but mostly was in the vendor tent buying and trading parts rather than taking pics and being social... ;o)

Andy

Rich W
06-18-2014, 03:16 PM

Best Painted:

Best Modified:
#1 = dunno
#2 = dunno

Sorry I don't know most owners names - I met a few folks, but mostly was in the vendor tent buying and trading parts rather than taking pics and being social... ;o)

Andy

I will have to go with Andy's assessment of the class naming, since I was not paying that close attention to the announced classes.

Ken had previously named classes such as "Painted - Modified" and "Un-Painted - Modified", which always seemed a bit unusual "naming"
for a car show where most of the cars are "Un-Painted" or stock finish.

protodelorean
06-19-2014, 12:45 PM

Best Painted:

Best Modified:
#1 = dunno
#2 = dunno

Andy

The Black/Yellow D is me. :wave2:

Nicholas R
06-19-2014, 09:28 PM
Touche...but I still won't trade :) ... Seriously though, your car is awesome. You should be proud!

Tom

P.S. It was also great to finally meet you!

Thanks man, your car was just as awesome and amazingly clean, inside and out. Seriously, I'm so impressed by how clean your engine bay is. It actually puzzles me some. I feel like I've got wires everywhere between all the extra engine sensors, EFI, Coil packs etc. I know you've got all the same stuff but somehow, all of yours are invisible! Haha. You electrical guys... Seriously though; amazing routing and organization. :thumbup:

Tom

You guys deserve and award for these alone. I'm still just impressed at the mechanics of what you accomplished, given what a mechanical disadvantage you hat to work with at the shock mount! So cool.

Best Painted:

Best Modified:
#1 = dunno
#2 = dunno

Andy
Modified
1. Sean AKA "fluxat88mph"
2. Patrick C

tommyrich
06-19-2014, 10:02 PM
Thanks man, your car was just as awesome and amazingly clean, inside and out. Seriously, I'm so impressed by how clean your engine bay is. It actually puzzles me some. I feel like I've got wires everywhere between all the extra engine sensors, EFI, Coil packs etc. I know you've got all the same stuff but somehow, all of yours are invisible.

You mean yours actually runs?!? The judges don't actually check that:biggrin:

NightFlyer
06-19-2014, 11:38 PM
You mean yours actually runs?!? The judges don't actually check that:biggrin:

Nice one Tom :thumbup:

The concours judges definitely checked though :biggrin:

dmruschell
06-20-2014, 12:02 AM
My fiancee and I had decided to take her car, since hers in an automatic and mine is a stick, and she doesn't really drive stick. I figured I'd let her drive if I got tired of it. We didn't win any awards, but I would have won one with my car. There were only 2 cars that were judged in the 50-60k mile category, and mine would have been the third. Oh well.