PDA

View Full Version : DCS 2016 - why not closer to the West Coast this time?

vps3922
06-18-2014, 11:20 AM
Hi all,

I am relativeley new to this forum (and DeLorean ownership, getting 3922 on 30 Dec 2013, just to be able to sit in it on New Years Eve :approve:) and I love the community and especially all the people posting in here. I followed the picture thread of DCS 2014 and saw so may cars and people I only know from the forum adn Youtube videos. I would have loved to be there with my DeLorean and meet you all but it was just too far (36 hours of constant driving according to Google Maps) and not enough vacation left this year.

I now see that the next DCS will be in Indianapolis. Nice city for a car show, indeed. But I would wish that it would be closer to the West Coast one day. We have a lively DeLorean scene and gang on the West Coast from California to Washington and I would wish that we will one day get the opportunity to have a DCS close by as well. It could be in any state closer to the West Coast (California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington (ok, maybe too far North)). I guess DMC California and DMC NW would love to assist. Am I alone out there with this view?

So I open the floor for discussions. What does the crowd think of a DCS closer to the West Coast?
Why is there a preference to the East Coast (I do not want to spark a classic East<>West Coast discussion, just about the DCS location)?

As I said: I am new to the forum and there might be a good reason to leave DCS on the East Coast, which so far eludes me. And there might have been a discussion around it in the past.

Thank you in advance for your input! :thumbup2:

Rich W
06-18-2014, 12:25 PM
The short answer is, it's logistics and the learning curve.

Ken K. did his first DeLorean Car Show in Cincinnati (technically pre-DCS) near his home in Mason, Ohio.

The new guys at the helm for 2016 will be doing the same, with their first show closer to home. Easier, logistically.

DCS West 2009 was held in Vegas, in September, with mixed reviews for timing, attendance from the West Coast, etc.

Hi all,

I am relativeley new to this forum (and DeLorean ownership, getting 3922 on 30 Dec 2013, just to be able to sit in it on New Years Eve :approve:) and I love the community and especially all the people posting in here. I followed the picture thread of DCS 2014 and saw so may cars and people I only know from the forum adn Youtube videos. I would have loved to be there with my DeLorean and meet you all but it was just too far (36 hours of constant driving according to Google Maps) and not enough vacation left this year.

I now see that the next DCS will be in Indianapolis. Nice city for a car show, indeed. But I would wish that it would be closer to the West Coast one day. We have a lively DeLorean scene and gang on the West Coast from California to Washington and I would wish that we will one day get the opportunity to have a DCS close by as well. It could be in any state closer to the West Coast (California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington (ok, maybe too far North)). I guess DMC California and DMC NW would love to assist. Am I alone out there with this view?

So I open the floor for discussions. What does the crowd think of a DCS closer to the West Coast?
Why is there a preference to the East Coast (I do not want to spark a classic East<>West Coast discussion, just about the DCS location)?

As I said: I am new to the forum and there might be a good reason to leave DCS on the East Coast, which so far eludes me. And there might have been a discussion around it in the past.

Thank you in advance for your input! :thumbup2:

DMCVegas
06-18-2014, 12:28 PM
I'm probably going to start a fight or two here, but I'll go ahead and throw my 2ยข anyways...

Car shows on the west coast generally just don't do as well for DeLoreans. DCS did Vegas in 2009, and before that the last DeLorean show by the DOA was in Vegas in 2000 which didn't work out very well at all from what I heard. And that's been about it for anything marque-specific. Most car shows are simply attended by clubs in groups.

Part of the lower west coast attendance though I honestly believe is because with the exception of the Northwest and Arizona, most DeLoreans east of the rockies seem to be in better running condition and are much more likely to make the trek to any sort of show that is a good distance away. Western DeLorean owners just don't seem to take as good of care of their cars, and generally don't seem as involved with the culture and community. I have theories as to why this is, but the fact remains that not many out west seem to really take interest. Just look at locations of posters and car clubs on here alone.

vps3922
06-18-2014, 12:28 PM
The short answer is, it's logistics and the learning curve.

Ken K. did his first DeLorean Car Show in Cincinnati (technically pre-DCS) near his home in Mason, Ohio.

The new guys at the helm for 2016 will be doing the same, with their first show closer to home. Easier, logistically.

DCS West 2009 was held in Vegas, in September, with mixed reviews for timing, attendance from the West Coast, etc.

Hmm, so does this mean that the West Coast crowd is not as active as I think? Low attendance is not a good sign. I therefore understand that the attendance was always bigger if the place was closer to the East Coast than West Coast?

Very sad. I hope that we can change that maybe for DCS 2018 (OMG, this is far away!).

vps3922
06-18-2014, 12:34 PM
Part of the lower west coast attendance though I honestly believe is because with the exception of the Northwest and Arizona, most DeLoreans east of the rockies seem to be in better running condition and are much more likely to make the trek to any sort of show that is a good distance away. Western DeLorean owners just don't seem to take as good of care of their cars, and generally don't seem as involved with the culture and community. I have theories as to why this is, but the fact remains that not many out west seem to really take interest. Just look at locations of posters and car clubs on here alone.

Hmm, I only met a great crowd at the Pacific Northwest Delorean Club and the few Vancouver Lower Mainland People and they are taking excellent care of their cars. But I also heard that there are a few DeLorean owners right around Vancouver, BC that do not join into clubs and groups. As I said, I am a very young member of the DeLorean owner group and do not have a lot of experience with past events as most of the people on this forum. It just crossed my mind and I thought that I should open it up for discussion.

Thank you for your input!

vwdmc16
06-18-2014, 12:35 PM
Ill say this, we in the Norcal group are very active and our cars are awesome,usually...

Rich W
06-18-2014, 12:36 PM
Hmm, so does this mean that the West Coast crowd is not as active as I think? Low attendance is not a good sign. I therefore understand that the attendance was always bigger if the place was closer to the East Coast than West Coast?

Very sad. I hope that we can change that maybe for DCS 2018 (OMG, this is far away!).

Maybe a bit further Northwest might yield better results. I know the Northern California group and the Pacific Northwest group are both active,
so maybe someone like Ken M. could be convinced to organize another DCS West event, in either 2017 or 2019. (maybe?)

vps3922
06-18-2014, 12:48 PM
Maybe a bit further Northwest might yield better results. I know the Northern California group and the Pacific Northwest group are both active,
so maybe someone like Ken M. could be convinced to organize another DCS West event, in either 2017 or 2019. (maybe?)

Great idea! :thumbup2:

RammJaeger
06-18-2014, 01:06 PM
Having done a lot of traveling when I played in a band as a professional musician I'll throw my theory out there. The west coast's population is VERY spread out over a large geographical area. This means something like DCS would have to pull people in from a 1000+ miles to get very many participants. On the East Coast the population is much more dense, and so it's easier to pull in a larger group of Delorean owners from within 500 miles. With that said, I'd really like to see one farther east, and more in the middle (i.e. not so far north).

Rich W
06-18-2014, 01:16 PM
Having done a lot of traveling when I played in a band as a professional musician I'll throw my theory out there. The west coast's population is VERY spread out over a large geographical area. This means something like DCS would have to pull people in from a 1000+ miles to get very many participants. On the East Coast the population is much more dense, and so it's easier to pull in a larger group of Delorean owners from within 500 miles. With that said, I'd really like to see one farther east, and more in the middle (i.e. not so far north).

Actually, I think Ken K. did take out a map of the US and looked at both a 300 mile radius and a 500 mile radius of the DCS event location,
to estimate how many people would likely attend each show. Of course, having numbers from previous shows helped to plan later shows.

Timebender
06-18-2014, 01:23 PM
I think there's a good number of folks on the west coast/Pacific Northwest who take great care of their D's.
As far as location, Vegas makes no sense unless it was mid- November when it's semi-bearable heat-wise. DeLoreans in the hot sun are like ovens, so the desert and heat of Las Vegas loses me.

If we had a west coast show that's central, the best spot would be something like Monterey (where they have lots of car shows) or Pismo Beach. Those are both pretty reasonable drives for both Washington state and SoCal owners. And lovely vacation spots to boot.

DMCVegas
06-18-2014, 01:29 PM

That would likely be the only way to have a West Coast Show. A good concentration of dedicated owners, plus even more from Canada that could attend.

The population may be spread out, but the concentration of DeLorean owners is not. Sure, there are handfuls in the major cities with the odd stragglers here are there, and Phoenix has a good collection. But the largest concentration in the world is down in Southern California where the original sales of the cars was the highest globally. They have more cars south of the San Joaquin valley than some states or even countries. But it is also pretty much the most apathetic group too. Vegas was a good meeting place for all the mountain states and the southwest, and they just didn't show up. Even as far back as the 1980's they'd all complain about noisy fuel pumps as soon as they hit the desert. And yes while California's laws are not friendly to old cars, take a look and see where most of the parted-out cars come from. You give a basket case car to a guy from Los Angeles, and he'll part it out on eBay first chance he gets. Give it to someone from Bakersfield or somewhere else in the country, and they'll spend the next 2 years restoring it instead.

Really though the thing is that years ago after the DOA dissolved the regional chapters, the outlying owners were pretty much left on their own to fend for themselves. As a result they became damn resilient and self-reliant while building up a hardcore group of devoted owners. In turn over the years they instilled the same positive can-do attitudes and enthusiasm into the next generations that came along. Southern California people though had a different attitude about the car wanting it to become more of a prestigious car, which it could never be as they wanted it. And with the close service centers they just dropped cars off instead of working on them themselves to become more familiar with them. Granted too the DOA's controversies over the years didn't help at all and really just furthered the keeping of owners in the dark. In the end the result is just that everywhere else DeLorean owners are more devoted and as a result take better care of their cars and attend more shows.

vps3922
06-18-2014, 01:30 PM
I think there's a good number of folks on the west coast/Pacific Northwest who take great care of their D's.
As far as location, Vegas makes no sense unless it was mid- November when it's semi-bearable heat-wise. DeLoreans in the hot sun are like ovens, so the desert and heat of Las Vegas loses me.

If we had a west coast show that's central, the best spot would be something like Monterey (where they have lots of car shows) or Pismo Beach. Those are both pretty reasonable drives for both Washington state and SoCal owners. And lovely vacation spots to boot.

Oh, I love Monterey. Have been there in 2001 and I would definitely consider drivng there from Vancouver, BC.

SS Spoiler
06-18-2014, 02:28 PM
After driving for three and a half days to DCS and 4400 miles a west coast show has appeal.

Paul Cerny #2691
Kalispell, MT

DavidProehl
06-18-2014, 02:53 PM
Ill say this, we in the Norcal group are very active and our cars are awesome,usually...

:thumbup2:

It also doesn't hurt to have your expertise to help keep our cars roadworthy!

Gfrank
06-18-2014, 03:23 PM
Isn't there two big delorean shows in Vegas this year...

Rich W
06-18-2014, 04:40 PM
Isn't there two big delorean shows in Vegas this year...

The following two shows lean a little more toward BTTF, but are still DeLorean events.

Not sure if there are two shows this year, but there is at least one in Vegas in 2014:

http://www.deloreanweekend.com/

As for 2015, there should be at least one DeLorean related event on the West Coast:

http://www.weregoingback.com/Were_Going_Back_-_25th_Anniversary/Home.html

(website not completely updated yet for the BTTF 30th Anniversary, but they are already planning the events)

dmc6960
06-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Yes, it makes sense that the new guy's first show would be in his own home town. Much easier to plan when your doing it for the first time. Its certainly what I would do at the helm.

That said, having a west-coast DCS in the odd-year has significant drawbacks for me. One, I already can barely afford to attend the even-year events. Adding an additional one in the odd-year puts it out of my budget. That is the reason I missed DCS'09, not the distance (I'll drive my car anywhere in the country for one of these shows).

Now, going forward, I could reasonably see a 2018 show somewhere out west. And I would be very likely to attend. Though you probably can expect lower DeLorean turnout. The Orlando show was on an extreme end of the country and it had so many fewer cars than the other shows. Gotta find a happy medium somewhere. Perhaps going forward every third show on the west coast. Who knows. Thats for Jason to decide now. Good luck.

Rich W
06-18-2014, 05:00 PM
Date side note. Having the show on Father's Day weekend, every two years, has also limited the show, to a certain extent.

With the Corvette Show double-booked mix-up with DCS 2006, the show could have been moved to a weekend earlier or weekend later
and we would have had the whole resort to ourselves (a bit over-simplified), but Ken wanted to keep the show on the same weekend.

There was also a brand new resort nearby that was opening in July 2006 that could have been a great alternate and DCS 2006 would
have been the very first event using the hotel and all the convention space, but again, but Ken wanted to keep DCS on Father's Day.

I know how difficult it is to try to get my brother away from my sister-in-law, to help me transport my vehicles to the DCS events on
Father's Day weekend, so if the date changes each show or it is at least the fourth weekend of June, I am sure more folks will attend.

As another "date" side note, keeping the first few weeks of June "open" will help avoid conflicts with most family's kid's graduations.

beernpizzalover
06-18-2014, 05:19 PM
The following two shows lean a little more toward BTTF, but are still DeLorean events.

Not sure if there are two shows this year, but there is at least one in Vegas in 2014:

http://www.deloreanweekend.com/

Thanks for the heads-up; this is the first time I've heard about that one!

Rich W
06-18-2014, 05:25 PM
Date side note. Having the show on Father's Day weekend, every two years, has also limited the show, to a certain extent.

With the Corvette Show double-booked mix-up with DCS 2006, the show could have been moved to a weekend earlier or weekend later
and we would have had the whole resort to ourselves (a bit over-simplified), but Ken wanted to keep the show on the same weekend.

There was also a brand new resort nearby that was opening in July 2006 that could have been a great alternate and DCS 2006 would
have been the very first event using the hotel and all the convention space, but again, but Ken wanted to keep DCS on Father's Day.

I know how difficult it is to try to get my brother away from my sister-in-law, to help me transport my vehicles to the DCS events on
Father's Day weekend, so if the date changes each show or it is at least the fourth weekend of June, I am sure more folks will attend.

As another "date" side note, keeping the first few weeks of June "open" will help avoid conflicts with most family's kid's graduations.

I only make reference to these DCS 2006 "options" since there was a few comments near the end of DCS 2014 that referred to DCS 2006 as a disaster
as far as some "outcomes" were concerned. Believe me, when the double-booked fiasco came to light, there was a lot of "leg work" done for options.

Attaching a few photos taken of the new resort under construction in August of 2005. The resort made their deadline and opened on July 1, 2006.

http://www.schaumburgconventioncenter.com/

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/chirs-renaissance-schaumburg-convention-center-hotel/

This would be my vote for DCS 2018.

Rich W
06-18-2014, 05:35 PM
http://www.schaumburgconventioncenter.com/

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/chirs-renaissance-schaumburg-convention-center-hotel/

This would be my vote for DCS 2018.

Note: Located only 30 minutes away from DMC MW.

David R
06-18-2014, 07:21 PM
What was 2012 like in terms of attendance? Did being in Orlando with family-oriented attractions help attendance? Or did being so far south hurt attendance?

Rich W
06-18-2014, 07:35 PM
What was 2012 like in terms of attendance? Did being in Orlando with family-oriented attractions help attendance? Or did being so far south hurt attendance?

The location did have a major impact on the car count.

Attendance was OK, but not one of the top DCS events. Car Count was way down (lowest DCS car count) with less than 50 documented cars,
although there may have been a few more non-judged cars that were not documented. Only 10-12 cars from FL, lowest of any DCS host state.

Family friendly location meant that most folks either drove the family car, with their family, or they flew in and got a rental car.

OverlandMan
06-18-2014, 08:08 PM
Hey I'd love to have a DCS here in Dallas-Fort Worth but only for selfish reasons. If DeLorean owners are relatively evenly spread across North America, seems like mid-western United States makes the most sense for DeLorean turnout. I have no idea if this is the case or not.

Weather probably factors in too a bit. You probably wouldn't want to have one in Dallas in August for instance. Likewise, you wouldn't want to have it in January in Michigan.

I'm good with Indianapolis for 2016.

David R
06-18-2014, 08:26 PM
Bummer Orlando didn't work out that well. It's the only DCS I've been to as its right in my back yard. I'm hoping to make it to Indianapolis in 2016...God willing, with a DeLorean.

I'd like to see a future DCS in Charlotte, the car culture there is pretty active.

NightFlyer
06-18-2014, 08:34 PM
I find all the complaints about distance in relation to event locations to be interesting, as being a car person, I actually enjoy driving my car - in fact, as the old adage goes, getting there and back is practically half the fun.

And, as I mentioned during the awards presentations on Saturday night at DCS, despite having the original belts, original coolant hoses, original NCTs, original plastic header bottle, original relays, original plastic tanked radiator, original Ducey alternator, etc. on my car, I'd have no reservations about driving it cross country and back tomorrow, or its ability to do so without incident.

So what's the deal here guys? Why is it that so many DeLorean owners (most with significantly upgraded cars compared to mine) are so reluctant to actually drive their cars to events???

Personally, I don't get it....

kings1527
06-18-2014, 08:46 PM
I find all the complaints about distance in relation to event locations to be interesting, as being a car person, I actually enjoy driving my car - in fact, as the old adage goes, getting there and back is practically half the fun.

And, as I mentioned during the awards presentations on Saturday night at DCS, despite having the original belts, original coolant hoses, original NCTs, original plastic header bottle, original relays, original plastic tanked radiator, original Ducey alternator, etc. on my car, I'd have no reservations about driving it cross country and back tomorrow, or its ability to do so without incident.

So what's the deal here guys? Why is it that so many DeLorean owners (most with significantly upgraded cars compared to mine) are so reluctant to actually drive their cars to events???

Hey Josh! It was great meeting you at DCS! And thanks again for all of your help along the way here on the boards.

Yes, I myself was hoping for a show closer to the West Coast but obviously that's not going to happen for 2016. Regardless, I'll most definitely be there for Indy. It's just a question of if my car will be. It'll be about 3600 miles round trip and time will be an issue, not so much the miles. I think doing something on the West Coast would be cool, particularly if we can get Universal's Backlot rented out for a private party (which they do for private companies pretty regularly). We could have something set up at Courthouse Square, have live music, set up some cars for tech sessions, etc. There's a Hilton right across form Universal, too. Lots of possibilities but logistically for the planners, that could prove to be a problem.

At any rate, I'd just want a good turnout wherever the location may be.

Iznodmad
06-18-2014, 08:55 PM
I don't understand it either. Ultimately, an owner can trust the car or not trust the car. Upgraded or original. Stuff breaks. I've read/heard of a couple fuel issues and clutch issues that happened on the way back home for some folk from DCS. At least they tried, right? I've never trailered my car to any DCS or other delorean meet, always driven. I've always wanted to drive it across country. A large turnout like Dayton, and I would make the trip and drive out West.

NightFlyer
06-18-2014, 09:14 PM
Hey Josh! It was great meeting you at DCS! And thanks again for all of your help along the way here on the boards.

Yes, I myself was hoping for a show closer to the West Coast but obviously that's not going to happen for 2016. Regardless, I'll most definitely be there for Indy. It's just a question of if my car will be. It'll be about 3600 miles round trip and time will be an issue, not so much the miles. I think doing something on the West Coast would be cool, particularly if we can get Universal's Backlot rented out for a private party (which they do for private companies pretty regularly). We could have something set up at Courthouse Square, have live music, set up some cars for tech sessions, etc. There's a Hilton right across form Universal, too. Lots of possibilities but logistically for the planners, that could prove to be a problem.

Alex, the pleasure was truly mine - and thank you again for your truly AWESOME blog, which is indeed second to none!

I'd definitely be game for a west coast trip - in fact, I'd be looking forward to it and you could bank on me being there.

From what I see in your post, it looks like there's a planner/organizer within you :smile:

NightFlyer
06-18-2014, 09:16 PM
I don't understand it either. Ultimately, an owner can trust the car or not trust the car. Upgraded or original. Stuff breaks. I've read/heard of a couple fuel issues and clutch issues that happened on the way back home for some folk from DCS. At least they tried, right? I've never trailered my car to any DCS or other delorean meet, always driven. I've always wanted to drive it across country. A large turnout like Dayton, and I would make the trip and drive out West.

The only question on a caravan to a show out west would be who's car would take the lead :biggrin:

DMCMW Dave
06-18-2014, 09:17 PM

Hard to fit wives and kids in one. It's become something of a destination show for families.

NightFlyer
06-18-2014, 09:26 PM
Hard to fit wives and kids in one. It's become something of a destination show for families.

That's a GREAT point Dave, and something that I failed to consider (two ex-fiances, but no family yet)....

Iznodmad
06-18-2014, 10:35 PM
There are fixes for families, like having two DeLoreans. I hope to do that one day. My wife Michelle has been with me to two DCS events, but I haven't been successful in getting both my cars to a DCS yet. My two boys need to be just a bit older before taking them. It will happen eventually....

Jimmyvonviggle
06-19-2014, 12:31 AM
I agree that these shows are a great way to spend time with family, and this is the reason some choose to drive down in a van or SUV. Also driving home I almost hit some deer 3x, so I can see why some are reluctant to drive to the show.

dmc6960
06-19-2014, 12:49 AM
The only question on a caravan to a show out west would be who's car would take the lead :biggrin:

Mine.

NightFlyer
06-19-2014, 01:02 AM
Mine.

I won't argue with that :biggrin:

awildermode
06-19-2014, 11:50 AM
think doing something on the West Coast would be cool, particularly if we can get Universal's Backlot rented out for a private party (which they do for private companies pretty regularly). We could have something set up at Courthouse Square, have live music, set up some cars for tech sessions, etc. There's a Hilton right across form Universal, too. Lots of possibilities but logistically for the planners, that could prove to be a problem.

Universal Lot...I like the sound of that. ;)

Great to finally meet you at DCS. I think we live less than 10 miles from each other, so meeting you for the first time at 2000 miles away was unique. Hope to meet up again in Indy...or down the street.

andy blackmon
06-19-2014, 12:40 PM
I have attended most of the shows and all but one was a hoot. The last one in Vegas was a dud, low attendance and a lack of interest . I am in Alabama, the wife and I flew to Vegas for the show thinking that with all the Deloreans that are on the west coast we would get to meet some of the west coast owners and see their cars but the attendance was so low that this show was a dud. Maybe it was because it was Vegas ans people had other things to do beside the show, however the show in Orlando at Disney world was one of the best show we have had. When we do the west coast again and we should maybe a spot like Seattle would be better.
Andy B 03513

sdg3205
06-19-2014, 01:09 PM
I wonder if from here on out to the foreseeable future, we'll see an increasing spike in attendance?

Just considering demographics - since many of the boomers grew tired of the shows, clubs and their cars the echo generation is finally buying up their barn finds. These cars (like mine and a LOT of other newish owners in the last 1 - 5 years) are not immediately road worthy, so there is a lag time between tyne transfer of ownership and use of the car. It took almost two years before i had my car on the road. I know I missed Pigeon Forge in that time. I missed Orlando due to being on the kitty corner of the continent and really came close this year to Ohio. I'm quite confident I'll be at DCS 2016. We echo's aren't as wealthy as our boomer parents at comparable ages, so money is always a factor (but dammit are we hard workers) however i really do think we're at there back end of a time where cars are switching hands and finally being used again in their second run at life.

We should aim for 200 cars at DCS 2016, keep a counter going, and really see if we can have 2% of all DeLoreans ever produced in one place at the same time.

vps3922
06-19-2014, 02:16 PM
I think doing something on the West Coast would be cool, particularly if we can get Universal's Backlot rented out for a private party (which they do for private companies pretty regularly). We could have something set up at Courthouse Square, have live music, set up some cars for tech sessions, etc. There's a Hilton right across form Universal, too. Lots of possibilities but logistically for the planners, that could prove to be a problem.

I like the sound of that. They still have some of the props (like the Lion Estates Entry stones, etc.) and it would be just a fitting location. Well, maybe one day. :headbang:

topcop66
06-19-2014, 02:27 PM
Just throwing this out there as a reminder, 2016 will also be the next Eurofest in Belfast, Ireland.
That may split the attendance to each show somewhat, as Eurofest is usually towards the end of May and DCS is early in June.
Granted, it takes a tad more cash to attend the Ireland event in regards to travel.
Having attended the 2011 Euro event, I will be going again, as it was a FANTASTIC experience.
I have attended 2 DCS events thus far, and plan on attending more....even though they seem to leaning slightly more in the BTTF vein!

Rich W
06-19-2014, 04:50 PM
Just throwing this out there as a reminder, 2016 will also be the next Eurofest in Belfast, Ireland.
That may split the attendance to each show somewhat, as Eurofest is usually towards the end of May and DCS is early in June.
Granted, it takes a tad more cash to attend the Ireland event in regards to travel.
Having attended the 2011 Euro event, I will be going again, as it was a FANTASTIC experience.
I have attended 2 DCS events thus far, and plan on attending more....even though they seem to leaning slightly more in the BTTF vein!

We had a similar attendance issue for DCS 2006, especially with the Euro crowd, with such a close proximity between the two events (May/June).

Hopefully, this is being taken into account for DCS 2016, since the EuroFest 2016 dates are already "locked in" and the DCS dates are still "open"
based upon the availability of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, for one of the event dates within DCS 2016.

Indy can get pretty hot during the Summer, even though late June through early August would be the ideal time of year for the car show.

guss23
06-19-2014, 09:35 PM
Hello, it's the "new guy". I appreciate all of the input. I rarely post on the forum (because I just end up rambling on) but I troll it regularly. The fact of the mater is that DCSs 2016 location is .5 miles from my house. Not to mention that the town and county have given me a grant and are covering all of the facility expenses, which is big. As for the date, I can not make an immediate decision on it. It looks like it will be fathers day weekend again. I heard more complaints than approvals for this weekend but I am trying to rent the Indianapolis motor Speedway for a day and they will not confirm a date until we are 12-16 months out. They did say that traditionally, that weekend was wide open.

As you all can guess, this task is enormous! My goal is to make the event a little more affordable for the average attendee. I am already working on discounts for three local hotels of all different price ranges. I will probably have a restaurant set up inside the kitchen at the fairgrounds and food will be done and paid for restaurant style with only one meal catered. We will have food venders as well. We are going to encourage club caravan arrivals awarding the largest and encourage people to show pride in where they came from with there car. The entertainment will be different but I think it will be enjoyed. Ken and I have discussed in great detail the directions I am going and he is impressed. I am currently working on sponsors. This DCS was the most expensive costing nearly $250,000.00 in all. Unfortionatly, many of my decisions are going to be based on the level of success we have in the next few months with out target financial resources. Things are looking good.

Guys, Ken is an absolute miracle worker. He has put these shows on nearly by himself. I was absolutely floored with the lack of help he has had over the years. Thankfully, the help he has had has been dedicated and loyal. If it wasn't for Mark Levy, Video Bob, and a couple of the Ohio guys the show would be dramatically different. I worked the show heavily this year. Unfortionatly, my wife (owner of the Delorean with the pink engine and wheels) and daughter, I was not able to see them much as there was so much to be done. My partner Rick barely was able to walk away from the IT equipment to eat, let alone enjoy the show(which really sucks because he paid for everything).

I am currently forming a board of directors. We are dividing all aspects of the event and assigning them to a small group of people to make the task easier. I already have some excellent people but can use more. If any of you want to help please contact me to discuss.

As for the location, I am looking at a few locations for 2018. There are a lot of factors.

NightFlyer
06-20-2014, 12:28 AM
Hello, it's the "new guy". I appreciate all of the input. I rarely post on the forum (because I just end up rambling on) but I troll it regularly. The fact of the mater is that DCSs 2016 location is .5 miles from my house. Not to mention that the town and county have given me a grant and are covering all of the facility expenses, which is big. As for the date, I can not make an immediate decision on it. It looks like it will be fathers day weekend again. I heard more complaints than approvals for this weekend but I am trying to rent the Indianapolis motor Speedway for a day and they will not confirm a date until we are 12-16 months out. They did say that traditionally, that weekend was wide open.

As you all can guess, this task is enormous! My goal is to make the event a little more affordable for the average attendee. I am already working on discounts for three local hotels of all different price ranges. I will probably have a restaurant set up inside the kitchen at the fairgrounds and food will be done and paid for restaurant style with only one meal catered. We will have food venders as well. We are going to encourage club caravan arrivals awarding the largest and encourage people to show pride in where they came from with there car. The entertainment will be different but I think it will be enjoyed. Ken and I have discussed in great detail the directions I am going and he is impressed. I am currently working on sponsors. This DCS was the most expensive costing nearly $250,000.00 in all. Unfortionatly, many of my decisions are going to be based on the level of success we have in the next few months with out target financial resources. Things are looking good.

Guys, Ken is an absolute miracle worker. He has put these shows on nearly by himself. I was absolutely floored with the lack of help he has had over the years. Thankfully, the help he has had has been dedicated and loyal. If it wasn't for Mark Levy, Video Bob, and a couple of the Ohio guys the show would be dramatically different. I worked the show heavily this year. Unfortionatly, my wife (owner of the Delorean with the pink engine and wheels) and daughter, I was not able to see them much as there was so much to be done. My partner Rick barely was able to walk away from the IT equipment to eat, let alone enjoy the show(which really sucks because he paid for everything).

I am currently forming a board of directors. We are dividing all aspects of the event and assigning them to a small group of people to make the task easier. I already have some excellent people but can use more. If any of you want to help please contact me to discuss.

As for the location, I am looking at a few locations for 2018. There are a lot of factors.

One suggestion if I might:

A lot of the owners who attended the Indy Raceway event last year commented on how lame the actual experience of driving around the track was, because I believe they limit you to something like 35mph for liability purposes. Not sure how much it costs to rent the raceway for a day, but a better (funner) option for owners might be to rent a 1/4 mile dragstrip for the day - not to mention that it would probably be cheaper. Lucas Oil Raceway is in Indianapolis.

Just a thought :)

skill
06-20-2014, 02:48 AM

Now that's a cool idea there, renting Universal's Backlot, why not? I'm pretty sure you got San Diego's support for that!!!

topcop66
06-20-2014, 10:52 AM
Hoping they will be keeping the museum "breakout" room...that is my fave part of DCS shows !
I have spent hours in there looking at/reading the many documents and drawings.

vps3922
06-20-2014, 11:56 AM

That sounds really awesome and I hope that I will be able to make it 2016. I am not sure how I can help you to take load of your shoulders living in BC Canada, but I am game to help if I can and you wish to outsource a task the Vancouver chapter of PNDC can do.

And DCS 2018 at Universal would be my dream come true, but there are a lot of factors (including costs) to calculate. Let's see where the road will take us! (although, where we're going we don't need roads!) :clown:

kkoncelik
06-23-2014, 03:50 PM
A show is only as good as the participants so if you have more the show is better because you can do more if its less you need to deal with that.
Totally disagree that DCS Vegas was Lame we had some fun there but what you did notice was a lack of people. To break it down on Saturday only 200 people were there. Thursday 125 and Friday 174. So what I can do food and entertainment is limited to what I bring in. If you support the show then you get more like this time Christopher Lloyd, Harry Waters and Craig Haglin were there. All new guests. On the VEgas numbers over 100 people came from the east coast. Of the west coast people about 50 were vendors like DMCH or Don Steger so that show only attracted 50 people from the west coast. From that more than half attended east coast events so basically I did that show with little support that was supposed to be run by the local group that helped me plan it and then they did not show up. Yes the Local Vegas group did not show up except for 2 or three of them and we had 12 cars there for the planning meeting. They were not there for the show. If you do a show out west 100-200 is going to be good and you will be limited.

DCS Dayton actually had no more BTTF in the events than it has in the past. It was a little more obvious with this years cast but I don't think by the autograph hounds that this was a problem Chris never made it down the cars as no one gave him a chance. People always state this as fact and it has not changed since Pigeon Forge. We did add the BTTF choraliers but to me the play was awesome and over 600 people watched it so I think we did pretty good.

The rest of the show was based on DeLorean as was the Museum. The driving tour had more cars than ever before and we threw in a complete air force museum as well. The cost of this show was huge and there is no way that Jason can keep this up as I cannot either so that is why I chose to go out on top. Appreciate what you have because some day you may not have it.

I have enjoyed doing these shows for all of you over the years but it has taken a toll on my family as I spend so much time with it that I feel I missed out on a few things in life that I hope to make up on.

One individual said the show costs too much. It really has not changed by much since 1998 where it was no entertainment for the most part just the vendors. By Pigeon Forge we were getting factory workers and BTTF. This costs money. This show was in excess of $30K just for transportation of the guests remember we had 18 guests. And hotel and food and and and I have to coordinate it all.

Most of you have been extremely gracious to me and my family over the years and it was that which kept us going. But remember 50% of each show was new attendees and Dayton was no exception. Where are the rest of you. For those of you that always complained believe me you will not be missed by me at all.

I heard criticism of Jason and the Location. DUH what he did what what I have tried to do a number of years ago and he succeeded. The Indy track that is a major score right there. The fairgrounds YEA we will not be crowded like sardines, and downtown Indy around the circle well there is the 6PM news highlight reel. He saw what was liked in DCS, looked to go back to my start in 1998 and have something to build on and guess what. He did very good. He is making the show his own as it needs to be.

I have had a number of critics this show and past shows that can do it better than me or the DOA or Houston but the fact is they are speaking out of their ASS because they could never even get the invites out to something like this and have no idea of costs or whatever. Rich is correct in a number of things he said and he has seen how hectic this show is. Listen to these people and help them. I was told by one person that this show sucked and they can do better and and and. Found out they have never done anything and are always complainers. Figures.

The DOA is best set up to do a show in the West. I would never do one there again because for me I have to haul all the stuff out there. For the one that said it was lame I did not see him or anyone else offering to bring stuff to the show. That show was like Cincinnati. It was a starter and designed to see if it can work. And it actually did better than we hoped but again lack of west coast help and attendance was obvious.

I would start working with the DOA and try to get a show out west either Vegas, LA or San Francisco or Up by Toby but DO IT. As with some of these posts they are full of suggestions and short on action. It will not happen if you do not make it happen.

Support Jason, DMCH, and the DOA. They are do-ers

Talkers don't come to the show because they create their own reasons not to do something and then Bitch that they missed it.

Loved working the shows for all of you
See you at the next show this time as a guest. Whew its over LOL

Ken

and I still sign my posts cowards don't.

NightFlyer
06-23-2014, 04:10 PM
Damn right! :biggrin:

Timebender
06-23-2014, 04:19 PM
I think doing something on the West Coast would be cool, particularly if we can get Universal's Backlot rented out for a private party (which they do for private companies pretty regularly). We could have something set up at Courthouse Square, have live music, set up some cars for tech sessions, etc. There's a Hilton right across form Universal, too. .

Whereabouts in LA are you? I know Tom Tait is up in the Valencia area (works in Glendale). I'm in San Diego but always up for a drive up (commuted daily for 5 months to and from there). Hopefully I'll have my own D soon.

As cool as Universal Studios would be, I still think Pismo Beach or Monterey are more centrally located for us in SoCal (and I'm in the REAL SoCal..) and Canada.

Greg

Farrar
06-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Why is it that so many DeLorean owners ... are so reluctant to actually drive their cars to events???

My guess is that they don't want to take value off of their cars by adding lots of miles to them.

NightFlyer
06-23-2014, 05:57 PM
My guess is that they don't want to take value off of their cars by adding lots of miles to them.

That's a valid concern for those so inclined.

Farrar
06-23-2014, 06:15 PM
That's a valid concern for those so inclined.

Perhaps more or less valid, but no less frustrating, than "My wife won't let me." LOL

NightFlyer
06-23-2014, 06:35 PM
Perhaps more or less valid, but no less frustrating, than "My wife won't let me." LOL

The only response that such an excuse warrants...

:whip:

mluder
06-23-2014, 08:54 PM

I would have loved to attend DCS this year... unfortunately I just couldn't make it happen. I do intend to go next year as I really felt like I was missing out on some great fun. While I would absolutely love to drive my car out to Indiana I probably will not... Not because of the miles it would add - I have a pretty low mile car (under 15,000), and not because of the reliablilty - I think I'd make it just fine. The real reason is the amount of time it adds to the trip. What goes from a 4 day weekend turns into a total of 8 days or more when you add travel time. And really, 2 days of driving for a 3 day convention and then 2 days to drive back just doesn't pencil. Also, we're a family of 3 so if we wanted to make it a longer stay and a family vacation to justify the time it would be impossible without another car.

Just my 2 cents...

Farrar
06-23-2014, 09:58 PM
The only response that such an excuse warrants...

:whip:

Enjoy being single. :)

dmc6960
06-23-2014, 11:01 PM

Don't be fooling yourself. Adding miles to these cars INCREASES their value. My car is worth 6 digits.

NightFlyer
06-23-2014, 11:14 PM
Don't be fooling yourself. Adding miles to these cars INCREASES their value. My car is worth 6 digits.

Usually, when people refer to 'digits' in talking about the dollar value of something, they leave out the cents column... :biggrin:

J/K Jim - love ya 8)

sdg3205
06-24-2014, 01:46 AM
Also, we're a family of 3 so if we wanted to make it a longer stay and a family vacation to justify the time it would be impossible without another car.

Sounds like you just solved your problem. One more kid and a second Delorean. Get
Kim driving!

thirdmanj
06-24-2014, 01:58 AM
(two ex-fiances, but no family yet)....

I can't imagine why.

kings1527
06-24-2014, 02:08 AM
Whereabouts in LA are you? I know Tom Tait is up in the Valencia area (works in Glendale). I'm in San Diego but always up for a drive up (commuted daily for 5 months to and from there). Hopefully I'll have my own D soon.

As cool as Universal Studios would be, I still think Pismo Beach or Monterey are more centrally located for us in SoCal (and I'm in the REAL SoCal..) and Canada.

Greg

I'm in Hermosa Beach. Both Pismo and Monterey would be great locations, as well. But for people flying in, it might be difficult.

NightFlyer
06-24-2014, 02:27 AM
I can't imagine why.

I know you love me, Peter Weller :biggrin:

mluder
06-24-2014, 02:52 AM
Sounds like you just solved your problem. One more kid and a second Delorean. Get
Kim driving!

HA! She won't even drive the one we have... It scares her. Just last night I threatened to take her to an empty parking lot to MAKE her drive it.

thirdmanj
06-24-2014, 10:02 PM
I know you love me, Peter Weller :biggrin:

Not in the way you want.

NightFlyer
06-24-2014, 11:05 PM
Not in the way you want.

That's not what you were saying last night during our 'sleep-over'... :wink:

martydmc12
06-24-2014, 11:16 PM
As newly elected Vice President of the DeLorean Owners Association, and editor of DeLorean World Magazine, I can safely say that the association is planning a DOA Expo to be held on the West Coast sometime in the near future.

More to come, stay tuned.

thirdmanj
06-24-2014, 11:40 PM
That's not what you were saying last night during our 'sleep-over'... :wink:

Your delusions are your own.

NightFlyer
06-25-2014, 01:14 AM
Your delusions are your own.

Does that mean you're not taking me to Fiji anymore? :nana1:

mluder
06-25-2014, 02:26 AM
As newly elected Vice President of the DeLorean Owners Association, and editor of DeLorean World Magazine, I can safely say that the association is planning a DOA Expo to be held on the West Coast sometime in the near future.

More to come, stay tuned.

:yesss:

sdg3205
06-25-2014, 04:22 AM
Does that mean you're not taking me to Fiji anymore? :nana1:

I thought you said I was your special delusion?! Lies!!!!

NightFlyer
06-25-2014, 02:43 PM
I thought you said I was your special delusion?! Lies!!!!

Ignore all that - thirdman means nothing to me. I was only using him for Fiji. You're the only one for me, really....

Michael
06-25-2014, 04:26 PM

That response is supposed to mean that if you are married, you have no freedom or choice?

Wrong, it means you married the wrong person and/or you're too much of a wimp to affirm yourself.

Farrar
06-25-2014, 04:36 PM
That response is supposed to mean that if you are married, you have no freedom or choice?

Wrong, it means you married the wrong person and/or you're too much of a wimp to affirm yourself.

Wow, I didn't think it was possible to misread a simple statement like "Enjoy being single," but the Internet makes it possible!

What do you say to someone when they are about to take a trip? "Enjoy your trip."

"Enjoy your trip" does not mean "If you are not taking a trip, you have made the wrong choice in staying home."

"Enjoy your trip" means "I hope you enjoy your trip."

"Enjoy being single" means "I hope you enjoy being single."

Perhaps it was lost in translation from English to English.

Bob635
06-25-2014, 10:23 PM
vps3922

There is going to be a West Coast DeLorean event Oct 2 - 6 in Las Vegas. Even though this event is some 3 months away, we already have 30 people signed up for it.

You can read more about this DeLorean event at

www.deloreanweekend.com

or on Facebook at

Delorean weekend Las Vegas

or

DeLorean International Las Vegas

Bob

beernpizzalover
02-19-2015, 09:27 PM
A little Off-Topic, but have any of you car fans online here ever attended the Indianapolis 500, in person?
It's a 'bucket-list' item of mine: was thinking of attending the big race this Memorial Day weekend with my brother-in-law, and perhaps another friend.

Having never been there, I had no idea where the best seats were, where to stay at, etc.
Anyway, thought it be a nice preview opportunity to check-out the city a year in advance of the next DeLorean Car Show...

Thanks, guys!
Scott H

aotmfilms
05-02-2015, 10:41 AM

I can tell you that I will drive the piss out of mine if at all possible and will spend money to keep it running. A car is meant to be driven IMHO. (no offense to others) but sitting a car just invites bad seals. I used to be in the Military (Army/Navy) 20 years and when single I'd leave my car sitting for 6 months in storage while deployed and had nothing but trouble with seals going bad :( I want the attention of a D. It is a nice car and reminds me of my childhood.;)

aotmfilms
05-02-2015, 10:51 AM

I AM and its WONDERFUL!! ;) (Divorced since 2010 and never looking back) :D

whocruiser
05-02-2015, 06:49 PM
I can tell you that I will drive the piss out of mine if at all possible and will spend money to keep it running. A car is meant to be driven IMHO. (no offense to others) but sitting a car just invites bad seals. I used to be in the Military (Army/Navy) 20 years and when single I'd leave my car sitting for 6 months in storage while deployed and had nothing but trouble with seals going bad :( I want the attention of a D. It is a nice car and reminds me of my childhood.;)

I agree with you 100% on actually DRIVING our cars, Atomfilms! If you're close to completing your "mission" of getting your own, please do consider buying mine. It's a great car, a DMC Florida refurb with a complete frame off restoration in it's history, and I put about 6,000 miles a year on it, enough to keep everything nicely worked out, but not enough get it stressed out, LOL. More info in the Cars For Sale section here if you'd like to check me out, or drop me a PM for my cell phone number to chat.