06-18-2014, 10:36 PM
Very, very excited!

Michael
06-18-2014, 10:39 PM
Love the tag :thumbup2:

NightFlyer
06-18-2014, 11:26 PM
LOVE Giugiaro Esprits - awesome purchase :thumbup:

Those wheels really need to be swapped out for some correct BBS wheels though....

Michael
06-18-2014, 11:37 PM
Yeah those wheels are just a bit big for the car.

It's documented how I feel about the S1 and S2 cars:

If I were to go all Top Gear Jeremy Clarkson, I would write something to the tune of(it reads better if you read in his voice):

There is just something about the S1 and S2 cars that will always appeal to me. Actually I know what that is...its a flawless design. It's a sharp, clean design void of ostentatious curves that are there only to appeal to lesser mortals. It's a simple, but elegant machine that doesn't transcend time, nor does it care to.....it's right at home in it's own hand laid skin. One look at it and you know what era this machine was born in, and it was without a doubt the beauty queen of her day....and still is the cougar of today.

DL4567
06-18-2014, 11:45 PM
Awesome! Congrats and enjoy it.

NightFlyer
06-18-2014, 11:57 PM

Ha, ha - that about sums up how I feel about most Giugiaro designs from that era :biggrin:

chris williams
06-19-2014, 03:18 AM
Very nice, great number plate as well
Chris

robvanderveer
06-19-2014, 04:43 AM
(y)

AugustneverEnds
06-19-2014, 06:13 AM
Drop Dead Gorgeous!!! Hope you have a blast with it!!

kenny
06-19-2014, 07:27 AM
Awesome and a car very close to my heart!
From the black bumpers Im guessing its an early Turbo.
Is it a dry or wet sump engine?
Personal choice but I would lose the wheels and refit the turbo decals.

I have a white one arriving next Thursday, waiting on it being shipped from the UK.
Mine is a project car though.

ALEXAKOS
06-19-2014, 07:47 AM
That is a much faster Delorean!!!!
Sweet!

Congrats buddy:)

OverlandMan
06-19-2014, 08:59 AM

I also agree, this is on my short list of cars I'd like to own one day.

At first glance I thought that car was an S3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Esprit#Turbo_Esprit_and_S3_.281980.29). But the interior dash threw me for a bit of a loop. So is it a second or third gen car?

The S2s and 3s are my personal favorites. A bit more refined than the first generation but so much cooler IMO than the Peter Stevens redesign.

Tell us more about this car!

David T
06-19-2014, 09:16 AM
You will find a lot of other people with Loti over at LotusTalk and the TurboEsprit Group on Yahoo. If you thought Deloreans had problems you ain't seen notten yet! Lotus's take a LOT of sorting out and they won't stay that way for long anyway. Among the very first things you must do is determine when the timing belts were last checked for tension and/or replaced. If it is past due you must get it done ASAP before you crash the valves into the pistons.

dustybarn
06-19-2014, 09:29 AM
Awesome

Michael
06-19-2014, 09:59 AM
You will find a lot of other people with Loti over at LotusTalk and the TurboEsprit Group on Yahoo. If you thought Deloreans had problems you ain't seen notten yet! Lotus's take a LOT of sorting out and they won't stay that way for long anyway. Among the very first things you must do is determine when the timing belts were last checked for tension and/or replaced. If it is past due you must get it done ASAP before you crash the valves into the pistons.

Someone once told me pretty much the same thing about Deloreans before I became an owner (jimjam)...they were dead wrong.

dmcjohn
06-19-2014, 11:01 AM
Awesome and a car very close to my heart!
From the black bumpers Im guessing its an early Turbo.
Is it a dry or wet sump engine?
Personal choice but I would lose the wheels and refit the turbo decals.

I have a white one arriving next Thursday, waiting on it being shipped from the UK.
Mine is a project car though.

Congrats Kenny! Looking forward to seeing pics.

opethmike
06-19-2014, 11:15 AM
The car is a 1987 Turbo HCi. I was the mechanic on the car for the previous owner for the last five years. It has been entirely problem free for those five years aside from needing new master & slave clutch cylinders.

Previous owner was putting about 6,000 miles a year on it. I'll likely be putting 2-3,000 miles on it per year.

Ozzie
06-19-2014, 12:42 PM
Beautiful car, Mike.
Congrats and enjoy.

Obviously three different type of drives, but it would be interesting to read your first hand driving impressions between it, your D, and the Elise.

john 05141
06-20-2014, 05:49 AM
very nice...
V8 version?

jan

Mcv200
06-20-2014, 08:31 AM
Sweet Ride! I'm jealous.

OverlandMan
06-20-2014, 08:37 AM
very nice...
V8 version?

jan

I'm sure the new owner will chime in but IIR the 87 HC Turbos had a 2.2 I-4 that generated 215HP and 220ftlbs torque. Keep in mind that the car weighed just under 2700 pounds.

DeLorean
06-20-2014, 09:15 AM
Love it, man it would have been nice if the Delorean had an optional box where you could select the turbo lotus engine ;)

opethmike
06-20-2014, 09:58 AM
very nice...
V8 version?

jan

No, a 1987 Turbo HCi.

Dangermouse
06-20-2014, 10:12 AM
When I get a big garage like Derek, that's one one my list too. Nice looking car.

Michael
06-20-2014, 10:24 AM
very nice...
V8 version?

jan

I think the v8 cars were introduced on the s4's alongside the 4 cyl. versions.

opethmike
06-20-2014, 12:17 PM
I think the v8 cars were introduced on the s4's alongside the 4 cyl. versions.

The V8s are monster cars, but just not 'Esprit' to me. I've grown up around Lotus cars; my father collected Elans, Europas, and Esprits; so to me, Lotus is light weight, with a four cylinder engine.

And honestly, my '87 Esprit is plenty fast enough for the street. I like big numbers as much as the next guy, but when there's so much power that you can't use a fraction of it outside of the track, then it gets stupid.

David T
06-20-2014, 12:32 PM
The V8s are monster cars, but just not 'Esprit' to me. I've grown up around Lotus cars; my father collected Elans, Europas, and Esprits; so to me, Lotus is light weight, with a four cylinder engine.

And honestly, my '87 Esprit is plenty fast enough for the street. I like big numbers as much as the next guy, but when there's so much power that you can't use a fraction of it outside of the track, then it gets stupid.

The later Lotus Esprits had more refinements with the S4s being the penultimate Lotus Esprit with a 4 cylinder motor. There is a lot to be said for the later V-8's but I agree they got away from the core principles Lotus held for years to do the V-8's. Lotus's company motto was to "add lightness". you see this happen in most cars. Look at Jags. The earliest XKE's were always the fastest. As the car aged they just kept adding things and making it heavier and more expensive. After the Lotus Esprit Lotus returned to their core and made the Elise. That thing is an overgrown go cart made for the track and is barely street legal. But is it is a LOT of fun if you can fit into it! A couple of things the V-8's still have in common with all other Lotus's, they are very finicky, prone to break down often and are EXPENSIVE to fix.
L.O.T.U.S Lots Of Things Usually Serious

opethmike
06-20-2014, 12:47 PM
Oh I know all about the Elise, Dave - I have one of those as well! :)

djdogbone
06-20-2014, 05:37 PM
Lovely car. Saw a minor resto on Wheeler Dealers....hand done wiring under the dash....wow. But those seats, love the look and color. damn lovey car. How tall can the driver be?

opethmike
06-20-2014, 05:50 PM
Lovely car. Saw a minor resto on Wheeler Dealers....hand done wiring under the dash....wow. But those seats, love the look and color. damn lovey car. How tall can the driver be?

Nothing much over six feet, that's for sure. The more important part is how wide the driver is. The seats are narrow and bolstered. At 5'9" and 165 pounds, I fit exactly.

pezzonovante88
06-21-2014, 09:12 AM
That's such a sweet Lotus. Congratulations!

chris williams
06-24-2014, 10:20 AM
L.O.T.U.S Lots Of Things Usually Serious
That's odd, over hear its: Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious, however it's not stopped me from owning a few including my best a GT3
Chris

Farrar
06-24-2014, 04:40 PM
LOTUS: Lord Of The Undercarriage Scrape.

Best I could do. :P