FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Binnacles, dashes, and glove box covers

My VIN:    10480

Binnacles, dashes, and glove box covers

I have been working on a restoration process for binnacles at the request of a friend. The process is pretty much figured out now, and I can offer to restore binnacles if folks are interested.

poster1.jpg
    DSC00994.jpg

Here is a before and after set of pics. It's hard to discern texture in the shots, but I can achieve a texture very close to the orginal binnacle surface.

The question is.... is there a need for dashes and glove box covers as well? The reason I ask is that I have an oven set up to process the binnacles and glove box covers, but would need to set up another one to process dashes, due to their length. Since I can't duplicate the faux leather texture of the dash and glove box cover, these would be done in the same texture as the binnacle. If enough folks show interest, I'll do it.

I am offering the binnacle restoration service at $425 + shipping + core, and expect there would be a price break on a full matched set, so it might work out around $1000-1200 + shipping + cores.

I would appreciate any input, so feel free to comment. Regards, Jonathan

Here's a pic of a restored glove box cover

Forgot to take a "before" shot of this one. And no, the signature isn't going to be included in future restorations, sorry.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    4357

Quote Originally Posted by renaissanceman400 View Post
    I have been working on a restoration process for binnacles at the request of a friend. The process is pretty much figured out now, and I can offer to restore binnacles if folks are interested.

DSC00994.jpg
    poster1.jpg

Here is a before and after set of pics. It's hard to discern texture in the shots, but I can achieve a texture very close to the orginal binnacle surface.

The question is.... is there a need for dashes and glove box covers as well? The reason I ask is that I have an oven set up to process the binnacles and glove box covers, but would need to set up another one to process dashes, due to their length. Since I can't duplicate the faux leather texture of the dash and glove box cover, these would be done in the same texture as the binnacle. If enough folks show interest, I'll do it.

I am offering the binnacle restoration service at $425 + shipping + core, and expect there would be a price break on a full matched set, so it might work out around $1000-1200 + shipping + cores.

I would appreciate any input, so feel free to comment. Regards, Jonathan
    How much for just the glove box cover?

Quote Originally Posted by tom kish vin. 4357 View Post
    How much for just the glove box cover?
    Glove box cover is $75 to restore, plus shipping costs (core to me, restored cover back to you). I will be posting more info in the "services offered" section in a few minutes, so feel free to take a look there too. With my regards, Jonathan

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Can you elaborate on the restoration a bit, please?

Are you repairing the existing binnacle cover, or replacing it completely? If so, what is it being replaced by.

Any concerns of high ambient interior temperatures on restored binnacle for southern states?

Do you do black binnacles as well?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

restoration process details

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Can you elaborate on the restoration a bit, please?

Are you repairing the existing binnacle cover, or replacing it completely? If so, what is it being replaced by.

Any concerns of high ambient interior temperatures on restored binnacle for southern states?

Do you do black binnacles as well?

Please look at the attached PDF file, which describes what is involved in restoring a binnacle, glove box cover, or (maybe soon) dash. I use an existing core that has the steel reinforcing structure intact, remove distorted exterior material, then rebuild the exterior back to original shape. Over this, I apply 3 laminates of thin fiberglass in epoxy to stabilise the entire exterior surface and pevent future cracking. It sounds like a lot, but actually ends up adding only about .010 -0.016" to the skin thickness, so there are no appreciable surface offsets. The binnacle is then baked at temps. up to 225 deg. F., which ensures it will remain geometrically stable at anticipated dash temps around 200 deg.F. experienced by those cars that reside in southern states. Then surface texture and paint gets applied. I manufacture and install a new instrument cluster bezel on my binnacle restorations. The original is a bit flimsy, so I make one out of glass/epoxy laminate that is a lot stronger and thermally stable.

The glove box cover is restored in much the same way. I don't like the way the steel backer relates to the urethane cover, allowing an edge lift, so I laminate glass all the way to the back (underside) of the cover to fix the visual issue and key-in (lock) the top surface in place. The dash restoration would follow the principles of the glove box cover.

I can suppply any color finish a customer would like, and have black and grey paint stocks. I have heard concerns expressed about paint being used in dash applications, so I inquired with SEM (paint manufacturer) about their paint being subjected to 200 deg. F. combined with high UV exposure, and they felt there would be no problem. I would say that to err on the side of caution and use a removable reflective dash cover would be a great insurance plan.

Please note, the factory glove box cover and dash have faux-leather textures. I can only duplicate the binnacle surface texture, which is less pronounced, so there would be a divergence from "factory" if I restore the glove box cover and dash. However, they would all match in both color and texture.

online flyer - new bezel.pdf

My VIN:    3299

I have seen his results at his workplace; it is very impressive. With Stephen finishing up his limited fiberglass binnacle run, this is an excellent opportunity for people to have yet another great option for binnacle restoration.

Since I have Stephen's binnacle, I gave Jonathan my old one to help him build a small inventory. Maybe he'll have some "before and after" photos. I have held one of his finished products, looked at the texture at multiple angles in the light, and seen no imperfections in the particular binnacle I was looking at.

His work really is pretty awesome, and for us to have TWO options in one year is just mind boggling.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Restored binnacle texture

The surface texture of a restored binnacle, using SEM products.

DSC01007.jpg

trying out photobucket

Please excuse if this doesn't work, I'm a newbie to social networking images

restored texture example

restored glove box

restoration in progress

a restored binnacle

comparison of restored vs. old

Last edited by renaissanceman400; 07-07-2014 at 08:45 AM.