Sorry to bring life back to an old thread, but I'm in the process of researching a 3.0 build with 2.8 heads as a long-term project. While both of my 2.8s are running well at the moment, since the supply of reasonably used 2.8's has pretty much dried up, I am looking into options for a 3.0 build down the road. The plan is as follows:

* 3.0 Block, Crank and Pistons

* 2.8 heads and cams retimed for the even-fire of the 3.0. (This will be a good opportunity to upgrade to performance cams)

* Custom distributor likely built by combining a early 80's BMW even-fire 6 cylinder distributor with a stock DMC unit. (In the alternative, Farrar's car is using a modified AMC/Jeep 4.2 distributor)

* Peugeot 604 Intake and Carb

* Mechanical Fuel Pump

Based upon the posts of others in the thread, the 2.8 and 2.7 heads can be mated to the 3.0 block. Furthermore, as evidenced by Farrar's recent 3.0 swap, the 2.8/2.7 cams can be utilized in the 3.0. So why not run the stock 3.0 bottom end with the stock 2.8 heads retimed for even-fire operation? I'm trying to avoid drilling holes in 3.0 heads, making intake adapter plates and dealing with alternator / AC compressor fitment issues that go along with using the 3.0 heads.

My question is how would I go about setting-up the timing chains on the above referenced design? According to my research, the 2.8 and 3.0 use the exact same timing chains. While I wasn't able to verify the timing gear part numbers for the 3.0 vs the 2.8, it is interesting to note that the even fire Volvo B280F uses the same cam and crank timing gears as the odd-fire B28F.

If anyone has a set of 3.0 and 2.8 timing gears laying around could you post a comparison picture?

Also what head gaskets does one use when installing 2.8 heads on a 3.0? The 3.0 head gaskets appear to be a 3.0 exclusive.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Andrew