FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.0l bottom end/2.8 heads and valvetrain question

My VIN:    SCEDT26TXCD010186

3.0l bottom end/2.8 heads and valvetrain question

Hey all got a question here. was thinkin bout sandwiching a 3.0 bottom end in the D, but retaining the stock heads while doing so. with the 3.0 even fire bottom end, what type of valvetrain gear issues will i be up against? can i use the odd cams? the even 3.0s? Idk you all tell me....lol. someone school me here

Quote Originally Posted by Barney10186 View Post
    Hey all got a question here. was thinkin bout sandwiching a 3.0 bottom end in the D, but retaining the stock heads while doing so. with the 3.0 even fire bottom end, what type of valvetrain gear issues will i be up against? can i use the odd cams? the even 3.0s? Idk you all tell me....lol. someone school me here
    if you use the 2.8 heads you have to use even the 2.8 liners (and pistons) ..
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

My VIN:    6585

Crank also has to be matched to cams since 3.0 is even-fire, and 2.8 is odd. 3.0 also does not have a provision for an adjustable distributor on it's cams.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

this thread is what started it all...

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

it is my understanding if you want to make it even fire (complete 3.0 bottom end) you need to install the 3.0 cams in the 2.8 heads. However the drives side cam does not have a gear for the distributor. I have heard of a guy grafting this gear to a 3.0 crank and he had a k jet 3.0! Another way you can go is just drop in the entire 3.0 as is and drill out the head and graft the cam gear on the cam and install the 2.8 distributor. If you want to use your carb maniforld it needs intake spacers (1/2" I think) in the head intake ports. EIther way some work is involved. the 3.0 is a "dumb" distributor as it has no rpm output or vacuum advance. Another thing you could do is leave everything as is and run an ignition computer. You could run coil pack ignition and install a ford edis unit for spark management. Then plunk your carb on top. Would be a weird setup but I think it could work.

edit: edis will run at 10btdc all the time without any computer. So it will start but run like shit. and drive like shit. It needs a computer to tell it to advance the spark. Still i think this method would be cool, never done before.
    Last edited by Josh; 07-01-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    it is my understanding if you want to make it even fire (complete 3.0 bottom end) you need to install the 3.0 cams in the 2.8 heads. However the drives side cam does not have a gear for the distributor. I have heard of a guy grafting this gear to a 3.0 crank and he had a k jet 3.0! Another way you can go is just drop in the entire 3.0 as is and drill out the head and graft the cam gear on the cam and install the 2.8 distributor. If you want to use your carb maniforld it needs intake spacers (1/2" I think) in the head intake ports. EIther way some work is involved. the 3.0 is a "dumb" distributor as it has no rpm output or vacuum advance. Another thing you could do is leave everything as is and run an ignition computer. You could run coil pack ignition and install a ford edis unit for spark management. Then plunk your carb on top. Would be a weird setup but I think it could work.

edit: edis will run at 10btdc all the time without any computer. So it will start but run like shit. and drive like shit. It needs a computer to tell it to advance the spark. Still i think this method would be cool, never done before.
    Interesting, wonder if the odd fire crank will work with the 3.0 crankcase? Anyone done that one? although josh i like the idea of just running the new ignition side like you said to avoid all the cam gear nonsense. im trying to find the most practicle combination of parts that jive together. i feel like mix-n-matching.
    Last edited by Barney10186; 07-01-2014 at 12:45 PM.

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Interesting, wonder if the odd fire crank will work with the 3.0 crankcase? Anyone done that one?
    Yep, I have one of those ... but I have not tried firing it up yet. Maybe later this year?

I purchased the 3.0L/2.8L "hybrid" engine from Marty Maier a few years ago. Marty built the engine based on a new crate 3.0L engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    Yep, I have one of those ... but I have not tried firing it up yet. Maybe later this year?

I purchased the 3.0L/2.8L "hybrid" engine from Marty Maier a few years ago. Marty built the engine based on a new crate 3.0L engine.
    awesome rich! you know what specific internals etc your hybrid consists of?

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

awesome rich! you know what specific internals etc your hybrid consists of?
    I need to check with Marty on the specifics. The engine was purchased as part of a package deal from Marty Maier.

My VIN:    6585

I have seen that conversion of moving the distributor gear over to a 3.0 cam. that is tons, and tons of work and not really worth it.

Now the one thing that I am honestly not sure of, and this is what I would ask someone who has a cracked one of these open would be the following:

1. Are 3.0L Cylinders compatible with 2.8L Heads.
    2. Are 3.0L Connecting Rods Compatible with the 2.8L Crankshaft?
    3. Is the 2.8L Crankshaft compatible with the 3.0L Upper Crankcase?

I don't see what the problem with the pistons and cylinder heads would be. The displacement is marginal, but it's there. The real question would be if you had to swap those connecting rods out, and if the crank is a direct swap.

If the cranks cannot be swapped between blocks, that's no big deal. What you would do is use the 2.8L block in it's entirety. Then just swap over the 3.0L Pistons, Sleeves, and Crankshafts. From there you just have to see if the Connecting Rods on the 3.0L Pistons will connect to the 2.8L Crank. If not, you're gonna have to swap them out. If yes, no big deal.

You should still be able to get a Carb Conversion kit from over in the UK which includes the manifold and everything. It's meant for the 2.8L Alpine engine.

Off the top of my head, I don't know what the rod lengths, pistons sizes, or even the displacement of the cylinder heads are between the engines. So when swapping heads, I'm not sure what the final displacement or compression ratios will be though. Such a conversion should be around $2,000 or so to complete. That however is just the start. Really it should be a bit higher because you're going to want to port and polish those heads up and install some performance cams to extract even more power. Which depending would probably be another $3,000 or so. That still doesn't even figure in a proper exhaust either. But in the end I don't know what the gains would be to tell you if it would even be worth it compared to the cost. When you start looking at the work that has to be done, and the price of parts, DMCH's Stage II engine upgrade really does show itself as an honest price. The only difference in between is the labor.

The 3.0L engines have been around for about 26-17 years or so. I would think that if there were such an easy conversion to build the engine, someone would have figured it out by now and we'd probably all have it in our cars. Not that I'm trying to discourage you, but hey, I'd say to explore it more and see what you can do.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast