FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 3.0l bottom end/2.8 heads and valvetrain question

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by Barney10186 View Post
    kinda hate to dismantle it cuz the car actually is a good car.
    They were really nice cars for what they were.

And that's a really solid/good looking Monaco for $375!
    Last edited by NightFlyer; 07-07-2014 at 07:56 PM.

My VIN:    SCEDT26TXCD010186

monaco2.jpgmonacoeng.jpgbest part is its purple!!!! lol. im cursed

Banned

monaco2.jpgmonacoeng.jpgbest part is its purple!!!! lol. im cursed

anyone used the oem chrysler 3.0 engine management?

after reviewing some wiring diagrams on the monacos oem ecm, it appears to me that simply retaining the wiring and computer from the monaco would be fairly simple to just wire up what i need to get it live. or am i one of the lucky people who just happens to have an entire running donor car?

Banned

after reviewing some wiring diagrams on the monacos oem ecm, it appears to me that simply retaining the wiring and computer from the monaco would be fairly simple to just wire up what i need to get it live. or am i one of the lucky people who just happens to have an entire running donor car?
    This is a question I posed a while back, and never did get a straight answer from anyone.

Personally, I don't see why you couldn't use the donor ECU and fuel management system. This is something that Farrah was always interested in pursuing as a long term project.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Ill just relay the PM to this thread for future reference:

This is basically as everyone assumes going into a 3.0 swap haha. There is one issue and its is a big one... The crankshaft position sensor. It reads off a large ring mounted to the flexplate and is mounted to the eagle bellhousing. You will be removing both. Steve S (protodelorean) tried to weld this trigger wheel to his flywheel and cut a hole in the delorean bellhousing and mounted the CPS and he could not get it to fire. I asked him about this at DCS, as it is documented in his blog and he said he never measured so many times or double triple quadroople checked anything so much... like he went all out trying to line this sensor and trigger wheel up. And still no dice. So I didnt even bother. He had a full car as well.

If you did get it running you would be limited with upgrades. You could not tune for cams, porting, exhaust, intake, etc... Upgrading these things would probably lose you power as the computer would try to compensate and without remapping the spark and fuel maps it would run pretty bad. There would be no way to do any tuning to the eagle computer.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Ill just relay the PM to this thread for future reference:

This is basically as everyone assumes going into a 3.0 swap haha. There is one issue and its is a big one... The crankshaft position sensor. It reads off a large ring mounted to the flexplate and is mounted to the eagle bellhousing. You will be removing both. Steve S (protodelorean) tried to weld this trigger wheel to his flywheel and cut a hole in the delorean bellhousing and mounted the CPS and he could not get it to fire. I asked him about this at DCS, as it is documented in his blog and he said he never measured so many times or double triple quadroople checked anything so much... like he went all out trying to line this sensor and trigger wheel up. And still no dice. So I didnt even bother. He had a full car as well.

If you did get it running you would be limited with upgrades. You could not tune for cams, porting, exhaust, intake, etc... Upgrading these things would probably lose you power as the computer would try to compensate and without remapping the spark and fuel maps it would run pretty bad. There would be no way to do any tuning to the eagle computer.
    That's pretty much what other responses said - there's no practical way of doing it easily (relatively speaking of course, as no swap is truly plug and play easy) and that it doesn't make much sense to do it the hard way because of the inherent limitations.

Makes sense, unless you're one those types who likes doing things the hard way for minimum gain (something that I've been accused of being a few times here and over on Today)

dang. gotta be another way to get that crank sensor/signal issue resolved. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Cool

so did anyone answer the will the odd fire crank just plop right into a 3.0 crankcase? bill seemed fairly opposed to this but im curious if the option is there.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

I can understand the desire to do the 3.0 swap, based on my surprising first encounter with an Eagle Premier. It was 1992, and I was driving my beloved 1987 black Scirocco 16V, on a deserted road. An Eagle passed me, but I was not going to let a four door sedan get the best of me. Well, to summarize a 30 minute drive..... I couldn't catch him.

Oh well, on another note, now I understand my attraction to the Delorean, as I found out that the original Scirocco was also designed by Giugiaro.

Good luck with the swap!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast