FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Steering Wheel Design and the DMC Badge

My VIN:    4245

Club(s):   (DMA)

Steering Wheel Design and the DMC Badge

I was organizing some old shots I got at DCS12 of Proto 1 and I couldn't help but notice the radically different three spoke wheel and the "DMC" right in the middle of the round center pad. But why is the production wheel without manufacturer markings? Was it a thoughtful decision meant to keep driver's eyes on the road, or merely a production oversight due to the timeframe/cost? Afterall, they had time to update the automatic gear selector with one.

Thanks to forum member Bikercmbc for an original steering wheel at a core price. I am redoing the wheel and trying to decide what to direction to take the center pad. I am currently running a MOMO wheel and DMCH adapter from courtesy a previous owner so I am in a good spot to take my time. Still, I wonder about the intentions behind the original design.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by PB Co View Post
    ....why is the production wheel without manufacturer markings? Was it a thoughtful decision meant to keep driver's eyes on the road, or merely a production oversight due to the timeframe/cost? Afterall, they had time to update the automatic gear selector with one.
    Good question.

Difficult to answer since the team that designed the interior hasn't surfaced to tell about it.

One guess is that it's nothing to do with driver distraction or cost-cutting but rather part of the understated and uncluttered design theme of the car.

It would be somewhat less expensive without a logo but was this a cause or a coincidence?
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    4245

Club(s):   (DMA)

No specific answers from Nick Sutton's wonderful account in The DeLorean Story. I've read it twice but still cannot recall exactly what/if anything was mentioned about the interior beyond the red and blue colors that never came to be at the factory.

Member here, Welmoed, has a beautiful embossed DMC logo on his leather covered center pad. His added leather touches and all-black center console makes it one of the cleanest custom factory looking interiors I have seen even if I can't find the picture I saved.

With the new DMCMW emblem for the Momo style wheel (as well as their prototyped center pad) my tired factory wheel is looking naked. I like the idea of a simplistic timeless interior but a blank center pad is a curious choice for an OEM.

My VIN:    Former 5452, currently in-love with 0747

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

We have the Momo Evolution Wheel already installed but I was wondering if DMCMW sells just the emblem?
    -Dusty

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by sapphirexae View Post
    We have the Momo Evolution Wheel already installed but I was wondering if DMCMW sells just the emblem?
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...l=1#post148406

My VIN:    10XXX

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by sapphirexae View Post
    I have been looking for that emblem and cannot find it. Is it available?
    Steve Liggett
    Treasure Island, FL
    1982 automatic, VIN 10XXX, grey int

Previous: VIN 5983, VIN 3670
    Who knows where my previous 1981 with 6 cylinder Chevy engine is these days (cannot find that VIN) ?

My VIN:    1776

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Good question.

Difficult to answer since the team that designed the interior hasn't surfaced to tell about it.

One guess is that it's nothing to do with driver distraction or cost-cutting but rather part of the understated and uncluttered design theme of the car.

It would be somewhat less expensive without a logo but was this a cause or a coincidence?
    I think you're right. DMC was very much trying for a classy, understated design aesthetic in everything they did. It is a common theme throughout all their promotional literature, their dealership trade dress, and even their business cards. IMHO it's one thing DMC did particularly well.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by SBL View Post
    I have been looking for that emblem and cannot find it. Is it available?
    Yes, but you need to call or email Julee. 815 459 6439 or julee(at)DeLorean.com. In stock.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    1420

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I used a belt buckle
    DMC steering wheel 005.jpg

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Metal AT shifter emblem is a beauty too

IMG_7671.jpg