FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Might be a stupid one...

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

Might be a stupid one...

Feels like a dumb one, but can't seem to figure it out.

Did a tune up on the weekend, plus installing a new air cleaner and full air box
    Fired it up, hunted for idle a bit, up and down, generally ran like a bag. (Did rev up nice)
    So I figured, vacume leak well fussing with the distrubuter.
    Removed air clear box to look around. Did find one off hose, plug it in, fire it up runs great, put the air box back on top loose (no bolts in) - runs great, push down on the air box so it's tight on its flanges, bogs and will sometimes even kill the motor.

Can't see it hitting anything, what the hell am I missing?

Thanks guys!

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by Gfrank View Post
    Feels like a dumb one, but can't seem to figure it out.

Did a tune up on the weekend, plus installing a new air cleaner and full air box
    Fired it up, hunted for idle a bit, up and down, generally ran like a bag. (Did rev up nice)
    So I figured, vacume leak well fussing with the distrubuter.
    Removed air clear box to look around. Did find one off hose, plug it in, fire it up runs great, put the air box back on top loose (no bolts in) - runs great, push down on the air box so it's tight on its flanges, bogs and will sometimes even kill the motor.

Can't see it hitting anything, what the hell am I missing?

Thanks guys!
    Sounds like when you push the air box down and get a good seal around the air metering housing that the engine becomes starved for air.

I'd start by disconnecting the hose that runs off the filter box and feeds the idle air motor with clean air, and trying it with the filter box otherwise fully mounted and bolted down. That way, you'll know if the problem lies with the filter box, or possibly somewhere upstream in the air intake, or elsewhere.

Pending the results of the above test, I'd check to make sure that you have the air filter and filter box assembled correctly so that you're not inadvertently causing blockage somewhere. If you have the filter box hooked up to an intake hose of some sort (stock/OEM is paper/cardboard that connects the filter box to the hot air valve), check that as well for any kind of blockage, or if you're running the hose straight into the pontoon, make sure that there's nothing in the pontoon that's blocking the air intake.

Also, make sure that the air metering housing has the o-ring on it and that it's in good shape, as without it, it's possible to push the filter box on too tight, which pinches off the flow of air into the mixture unit.

About all I've got based on your description.

Best luck

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Are you pushing hard enough to pinch the airflow off in the air filter box? The plastic can be soft.

Thanks! If it ever stops raining I shall get out and have a look.
    Believe its a repo box, regardless got it at Dcs.

Is the box suppose to stop just at the o ring or push past it? On the metering valve?

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Thanks! If it ever stops raining I shall get out and have a look.
    Believe its a repo box, regardless got it at Dcs.

Is the box suppose to stop just at the o ring or push past it? On the metering valve?
    I didn't think that air boxes were a reproduction part. I thought they were all NOS.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I didn't think that air boxes were a reproduction part. I thought they were all NOS.
    Airboxes are NOS. Lots of them left.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

What ever they are don't much matter, thanks for it btw! Looks 100x better then my old one.

The owner before me never had all the bolts in the box to begin with. So this could have been a past problem. Took everything from the filter back off and set it aside. Just the top on, same problem, don't see any problem, must just be going down to far, in a pinch ill just put a washer under the two bolts and she seems to be happy.

Air box aside, now once it warms up I seem to have a rough idle I'm not happy with. Idles nice at around 750, then it will drop to just above 500... Dam delorean's always keep u on your feet
    Last edited by Gfrank; 07-08-2014 at 06:11 PM.

Well. It's when the air cleaner puts pressure on the fuel injection manifold. Take the air cleaner off, press down on it a bit. Dead. Have a video, still investigating, will post when I get on a computer

Looks as tho, the rubber between the metering plate? And the throttle body

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Well. It's when the air cleaner puts pressure on the fuel injection manifold. Take the air cleaner off, press down on it a bit. Dead. Have a video, still investigating, will post when I get on a computer

Looks as tho, the rubber between the metering plate? And the throttle body
    Weird.

Yes, a video would be very helpful.

Sounds like something is choking off / blocking air from getting into the intake when you put any kind of pressure on the mixture unit.

Could be a displaced gasket...

Fairly certain it's the rubber between the tb and the metering chamber, push down, crack in the rubber opens, allows air in, lose the flow, metering plate closes cutting fuel.

Now I don't seen new ones listed on dmch's web site, but someone has to be making them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast