FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clutch Service in San Diego

My VIN:    6452

Clutch Service in San Diego

I seem to have a classic issue with my clutch. When you first start the car, it will not go into first or reverse. If you "pump" up the clutch several times it will work OK and then when the car gets warm it seems to be better. Since I have the new steel braided line, I do not have a leak and, the master cylinder and slave were changed by DMC I am hoping that all it needs is to be bled. I understand that it could mean that the master cylinder is leaking internally but the one that is installed probably has no more than 500 miles on it and was installed by DMC. I do not drive the car very much and the total mileage is 13,000.

Since DMC is more than 75 miles away from San Diego, is bleeding the clutch line a job that could be done locally? If so are there any recommendations in the Northern San Diego area? I am not thrilled with having to drive it 150 miles to get the job done if it is possible to have it done locally. On the other hand, if this is a waste of time, because the feeling is that it is not a bleeding problem, then I would just take it to DMC.

Thoughts?

Scot

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by scotstern View Post
    I seem to have a classic issue with my clutch. When you first start the car, it will not go into first or reverse. If you "pump" up the clutch several times it will work OK and then when the car gets warm it seems to be better. Since I have the new steel braided line, I do not have a leak and, the master cylinder and slave were changed by DMC I am hoping that all it needs is to be bled. I understand that it could mean that the master cylinder is leaking internally but the one that is installed probably has no more than 500 miles on it and was installed by DMC. I do not drive the car very much and the total mileage is 13,000.

Since DMC is more than 75 miles away from San Diego, is bleeding the clutch line a job that could be done locally? If so are there any recommendations in the Northern San Diego area? I am not thrilled with having to drive it 150 miles to get the job done if it is possible to have it done locally. On the other hand, if this is a waste of time, because the feeling is that it is not a bleeding problem, then I would just take it to DMC.

Thoughts?

Scot
    It does sound like bleeding could solve the problem. First of all check the level in the reservoir. If it is low then you do have a leak somewhere. If the level is OK then bleeding the system would be the next step. Any competent shop would be capable of bleeding the clutch. Even if the level is low bleeding is still a good idea if for no other reason than to help locate what is leaking. Could be as simple as a loose bleeder nipple or a bad hose between the clutch master cylinder and the reservoir. Bleeding is not all that difficult to do, you may want to try it yourself. All you need is an assistant, some brake fluid, a wrench and a hose.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    05457

David is right, any shop should be able to bleed your clutch and that would be the first place to start.

Another option would be to reach out to other owners in the San Diego area, I'm sure there are more than a few there and I bet someone would be willing to give you a hand for 30 min to get this done.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    Former 5452, currently in-love with 0747

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

I use 'Rocky's Miatamotive' here in San Diego for local repairs. He's worked on all of our DeLoreans at some point and knows them pretty well by now. I've known Rocky for about 20 years now and he is as honest as the day is long. For a local repair, I highly recommend him, he's the best!

Or......I'm sure we could help you out. My brother is pretty mechanically savvy and we're in San Diego! I want to do a Tranny Fluid flash in 747 anyway so we could do a Transmission Day.
    -Dusty

Quote Originally Posted by sapphirexae View Post
    I use 'Rocky's Miatamotive' here in San Diego for local repairs. He's worked on all of our DeLoreans at some point and knows them pretty well by now. I've known Rocky for about 20 years now and he is as honest as the day is long. For a local repair, I highly recommend him, he's the best!

Or......I'm sure we could help you out. My brother is pretty mechanically savvy and we're in San Diego! I want to do a Tranny Fluid flash in 747 anyway so we could do a Transmission Day.
    Thanks for the tip on Rocky's Miatamotive. I live in North County so I'll try to call for appointment to take it in and have it done while I wait. I have owned the car for about 20 years and this clutch thing has just become a problem recently. I would do it myself but, it is my understanding that getting to the slave cylinder to do this is not an easy task and, considering that I am 116 years old, it is probably best that I get some assistance. I enjoy the Delorean but I am not comfortable driving it right now because I am afraid that I might not be able to get it into gear.

Damn I knew I should have come over to my buddys wedding last weekend.

For a beer I would have bled it for you. It's a 5 minute job.

By the way - 6548 says hello, he was first sold by that Honda dealership
    back then.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Be careful driving the car in this condition. A malfunctioning clutch can cause damage to the internals of the transmission because you are forcing it in and out of the gears. It can be difficult to access the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder, especially if you are not very flexible anymore.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    Damn I knew I should have come over to my buddys wedding last weekend.

For a beer I would have bled it for you. It's a 5 minute job.

By the way - 6548 says hello, he was first sold by that Honda dealership
    back then.
    Must friends are very appreciative of a visit after a large event as they now have time to talk and relate in a more relaxed atmosphere. I would suggest that you go an visit your buddy very soon. Oh, by the way, if you should decide to visit him I would be willing to up the ante to two beers and a case for the road!

Scot

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Be careful driving the car in this condition. A malfunctioning clutch can cause damage to the internals of the transmission because you are forcing it in and out of the gears. It can be difficult to access the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder, especially if you are not very flexible anymore.

I totally agree with you about driving the car and yes you are right about where I can and cannot crawl any more. That is why I really do need to find a local solution to my problem. I actually thought about an independent Volvo repair shop as they would at least be familiar with the engine. I am hopeful that a solution presents itself soon. I really am not relishing having to transport it on a trailer up to DMC in Garden Grove.

Don't you have kids, friends or a neighbour who could help ?
    It's really not that hard to do.

1-2 feet of a small clear hose,
    a (I think) 8mm wrench
    some brake fluid DOT4

And some pictures to get a feeling where to find that bleeding nipple.
    It's reachable from the passenger side of the car...

BTW - check the carpet below the clutch cylinder. If it's wet or feels
    strange - yes than it's DOT4...

...one more beer and you have convinced me to fly over :-D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast