FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Personal car related news

I don't want to be part of the Human race Roman Legion's Avatar

My VIN:    VIN in progress.

Club(s):   (DCVA) (LVDG) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Personal car related news

Well, I've finally did it.. No, not acquire a DeLorean, that's a WIP for later, I'm trading in my car for a generation 1 Honda Insight, the aluminum car. I get it this weekend and I'm quite excited. Wonder if I can take the paint off and brush the aluminum body panels?

Just thought I'd share news that I'm so excited about with somebody. Oh and it's 5 speed.. No more of that snooze automatic for me.

Banned

My VIN:    1798

The Stang was supposed to turn into a D, not a Honda

Interesting swap from American power to Asian economy. I thought that the motorcycle was the economy transportation, thus why the big change of plans?

Congrats if it makes you happy

My VIN:    6585

Nice! I loved the look of those generation cars. What about batteries though? Where can you get them from?
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Yeah, but I decided to hold off on the D for now and the Mustang for me is impractical as hell since it takes so much fuel to go nowhere, I don't need 300+ HP and 99% of the time I'm driving the car, I'm alone in it, so I didn't need 4 seats. The insurance is about the same for this car as the Mustang oddly enough, but the operational costs aren't nearly as high. The IMA battery is good in this one and has a grid charger to prolong the battery's lifespan. The most expensive repair on this car is battery replacement which runs like $2500 new, but the car can be driven without the battery, so it won't deadline the vehicle.

I've always loved the Insight among other cars a lot people seem to not like as much (DeLorean, VW Corrado.. et cetera). My dad is giving me crap about getting rid of my Mustang, but his reason for me keeping it isn't enough for me to keep it. I can't wait to have a different car and above all, a manual instead of the sleep-inducing automatic.

Motorcycle is great and all and I do plan to keep that for a few years and it's MPG is like 60MPG, but if you've ever ridden a sports bike with a bad back for extended periods of time, you know why a fuel efficient car is a must, plus the bike has no cargo capability.
    Last edited by Roman Legion; 07-11-2014 at 04:32 PM.

My VIN:    4266, Previously 11056

LOL, you know what? I just sold my 2011 Honds CR-Z to buy a DeLorean. It was pretty much the love child of the Insight and the CRX. It was an awesome car! It's only been 3 weeks but I miss her already, but she wasn't my dream car. 6 speed hybrid that got +45MPG and was peppy as hell. She could go, but she was somewhat like the DeLorean: looked faster than she actually was.

Congrats on your new purchase. As an IMA driver, I appreciate those cars and would buy one again.

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Kukem View Post
    LOL, you know what? I just sold my 2011 Honds CR-Z to buy a DeLorean. It was pretty much the love child of the Insight and the CRX. It was an awesome car! It's only been 3 weeks but I miss her already, but she wasn't my dream car. 6 speed hybrid that got +45MPG and was peppy as hell. She could go, but she was somewhat like the DeLorean: looked faster than she actually was.

Congrats on your new purchase. As an IMA driver, I appreciate those cars and would buy one again.
    The crz is a neat car, and had they made it all motor instead of hybrid, they would have sold like hot cakes. I work on a honda lot, and they have a hard time giving the fits, crz's and insights away. The salesman blame it on the hybrids and limited battery life/use, as well as maintenance to replace the batteries once they die. The hybrids start to fall apart at about 100k and battery replacement with labor runs about the cost of the car. I actually like the crz's but have been told countless times to steer clear....
    Soundkillr was here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kukem View Post

Thanks, I plan to keep this Insight even after getting a DeLorean, which I'm sure everyone would agree, is a good idea to keep the reliable car with great MPG as the daily driver. I'm looking forward to seeing 50-60 MPG or more soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundkillr View Post
    The crz is a neat car, and had they made it all motor instead of hybrid, they would have sold like hot cakes. I work on a honda lot, and they have a hard time giving the fits, crz's and insights away. The salesman blame it on the hybrids and limited battery life/use, as well as maintenance to replace the batteries once they die. The hybrids start to fall apart at about 100k and battery replacement with labor runs about the cost of the car. I actually like the crz's but have been told countless times to steer clear....
    I don't like the post 2006 Insights, they look like Honda applied the Prius mold to it. They don't look too bad, but the gen 1 Insight is for me and the gen 1s last over 275k miles according to the people online I talked to who own and drive them daily. Not sure about new hybrids, but gen 1 Insights can be driven with or without the battery on, but MPG suffers, but still gets great MPG with no battery.
    Last edited by Roman Legion; 07-11-2014 at 10:09 PM.

My VIN:    4245

Club(s):   (DMA)

I had no idea the first generation was made from aluminum. Get your 120 grit ready.

Been a Honda guy for a long time and I still can't part with my 95 Prelude. Your new car has a great digital dash and shares it's 3 spoke steering wheel with the S2000 IIRC. Personally I love the aero wheel covers that blend with the body.

My VIN:    3997

I too very uch want a Honda Insight. I am jealous, please post pictures.
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan King View Post
    I too very much want a Honda Insight. I am jealous, please post pictures.
    I'd recommend getting one, I apparently have a rare colour, Citrus Yellow which is highly sought after. I love this car, it has power when you need it, engine can be cut off at a stop light by putting it in neutral. Was getting over 62 MPG while on I-81 at 70 MPH with the windows down. It has great handling too. I'll post some pictures soon and the guy I traded (and got some cash on the deal) has another for sale, a silver 2000 manual for like $6k. Mine was $7k, it's in amazing shape, rare colour and had lots of work to make sure it keeps going strong. In lots of ways, it felt like it had some similar features to a DeLorean.

Yeah, if the paint ever goes, I want to DeLorean-ise it and let the bare aluminum show. The clutch is super smooth.. I basically got a collector car in a rare colour before others start to really get in on it. If it uses the S2000 steering wheel, I may go looking for one as mine shows a little age. Aluminum frame and a mix of aluminum and plastic on the body. Such a light weight car with a nice 3 cyl VETEC.

I was sad to see the Mustang drive off forever, but I am thrilled with my new car.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast