FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Personal car related news

I don't want to be part of the Human race Roman Legion's Avatar

My VIN:    VIN in progress.

Club(s):   (DCVA) (LVDG) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    Yeah, I honestly don't know - it would be interesting to compare the mpg's obtainable with the lean burn against a small turbo diesel. I know that the Smart CRD turbo diesels average somewhere around 60 mpgs from what I've seen people report online. Thus in your car, I'm thinking it might produce averages of somewhere around 150 mpg, maybe even more.

I have a friend that owned a gen 1 insight for about 4 years. He used to average around 78 mpg's with it. I know that he did do a few efficiency mods, but have no idea what they were.

Definitely a fun little car - glad you're happy with it
    I'm still learning this car, but it's enjoyable, just doesn't have a lot of pickup like the Mustang did and I not only miss having the power, I'm driving and expecting it still, but not getting it. I'll become accustomed to the power level soon. At least regular driving of my Insight will make my shifting skills expert when I get my DeLorean. Driving this car is fun if you think about the MPG gauge as a video game, the game is like pacman, but on my fuel guage.

Use the parking brake when on an incline, then start to slip the clutch like normal. When you feel the car start pulling against the brake, start gently lowering the parking brake. That's the best way I've found to not roll backwards or soon the tires and burn the clutch.
    2004 Acura RSX Type S - Daily Driver
    1964 Chevrolet Impala SS - No, not a lowrider

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Part of my driving test, back in the day, was to do a hill start in a stick shift, just like that. Hardest part of the test as they weren't gentle inclines. You really had to feel the clutch and it was very important to take the test in the same car that you had been learning in.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Part of my driving test, back in the day, was to do a hill start in a stick shift, just like that. Hardest part of the test as they weren't gentle inclines. You really had to feel the clutch and it was very important to take the test in the same car that you had been learning in.
    Galleons had stick shift? I thought they were just made of sticks.

I'm going on a 3 hour drive to my parent's place tonight, so I'm going to be getting loads of practice. Let's hope I can finally master this.

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Legion View Post
    Yes, it's in great shape and the cars if maintained can easily exceed 350k miles. There are minor issues (All cosmetic) but I can fix them as I go.

I'm back in Virginia for the time being, I'm at a school here, trying to get my A+ certification
    Car looks good...congrats.

Good luck w/the cert. I got mine about 10 years ago before re-cert was necessary, so it's still valid although I'm now more on the network side of the house. It was pretty tough and I'm sure it's changed quite a bit in the past decade.
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 07-18-2014 at 07:46 PM.

My VIN:    10442

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Well, I've finally did it.. No, not acquire a DeLorean, that's a WIP for later, I'm trading in my car for a generation 1 Honda Insight, the aluminum car. I get it this weekend and I'm quite excited. Wonder if I can take the paint off and brush the aluminum body panels?

Just thought I'd share news that I'm so excited about with somebody. Oh and it's 5 speed.. No more of that snooze automatic for me.
    My next 'daily driver' will hopefully make it to production next year:
    www.eliomotors.com
    Anyway, it's certainly a unique vehicle. And I got to sit in a prototype of it last week.

Quote Originally Posted by beernpizzalover View Post
    My next 'daily driver' will hopefully make it to production next year:
    www.eliomotors.com
    Anyway, it's certainly a unique vehicle. And I got to sit in a prototype of it last week.
    Yeah, my friend back in Vegas is planning to buy one and personally, I can't wait to see them on the road.. Just hope they have more hill climbing power than my Insight..lol

So I left yesterday with half a tank and before I put the car up and took my ninja out to finish killing portals in Ingress, I took this picture while in auto stop which shows miles on the trip odometer, average MPG for the entire trip and how much fuel left in the tank.. Also a picture of the car and bike just because I can..lol When I got here yesterday, my average was at 65.5, but I hit a humongous hill this morning that took it down a little bit.

20140719_124137.jpg20140719_143630.jpg

I'm rather pleased with my MPG this evening. I was playing Ingress a bit, so I tacked on over 40 extra miles before going North on I-81 and I filled the tank for $27 and reset the trip odometer, this is my result.

I aimed for 75 MPG, but fell short due to a few long hills, but I did get 73.5 before the MPG hurting hills.

Banned

My VIN:    1798

I'm rather pleased with my MPG this evening. I was playing Ingress a bit, so I tacked on over 40 extra miles before going North on I-81 and I filled the tank for $27 and reset the trip odometer, this is my result.

I aimed for 75 MPG, but fell short due to a few long hills, but I did get 73.5 before the MPG hurting hills.
    If you frugally save up all of your fuel savings, you'll have the funds to purchase a decent DeLorean in no time

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast