FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Recall Notice, FAN RELAY

My VIN:    03572

Recall Notice, FAN RELAY

I was making a software change to filter the input signal because some cars seem to have noise on that line even when you turn the engine off, the fans keep running. Well I put that software change into one unit and will send that unit off to see if it fixes that problem in that car.

Anyway, I ran across a software bug that could cause the fans not to go on. It's a rare occurrence but I don't want anyone to have that problem. So I recommend you remove my solid state fan relay (painted brown) and use a standard mechanical relay until you send the solid state one back for a software update.

The problem can happen when one signal (the AC or otterstat) turns off and the other one turns on within 1 or 2 seconds of the first one turning off.

Sorry about this inconvenience.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Dave, could this be causing the periodic flashing of the fan fail light (near continuous blinking, but comes and goes as to when). The fans have been confirmed to be working fine even when this happens. I have both of your fan modules.....
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    Dave, could this be causing the periodic flashing of the fan fail light (near continuous blinking, but comes and goes as to when). The fans have been confirmed to be working fine even when this happens. I have both of your fan modules.....
    No that would not affect the fan fail flashing. What REV is marked on your fan fail unit (if any).
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    3472 (former)

Club(s):   (DCVA) (DCUK)

Dave, my fans keep running for 20 seconds when I turn my car off, figured it was normal since the module is designed to keep powering the fans if the relay loses power in some way and I wasn't sure if it had a way to know if the car was off. Is this what you're talking about, or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    I've got them both as well. My fan fail light also had a sporadic blink, but then I cleaned the grounds for the fans and it went away. The light is designed to come on if there's some percentage of discrepancy between the two fans in the amount of amps they're drawing, it could be yours are right near that line.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Dave, my fans keep running for 20 seconds when I turn my car off, figured it was normal since the module is designed to keep powering the fans if the relay loses power in some way and I wasn't sure if it had a way to know if the car was off. Is this what you're talking about, or something else?

I've got them both as well. My fan fail light also had a sporadic blink, but then I cleaned the grounds for the fans and it went away. The light is designed to come on if there's some percentage of discrepancy between the two fans in the amount of amps they're drawing, it could be yours are right near that line.
    No the 20 seconds running is normal if the fans were running when you shut the car off. What one or two owners have found was it would run past that 20 seconds. It must be a noise caused by the fans or wiring that re triggers the relay input.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    3472 (former)

Club(s):   (DCVA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    No the 20 seconds running is normal if the fans were running when you shut the car off. What one or two owners have found was it would run past that 20 seconds. It must be a noise caused by the fans or wiring that re triggers the relay input.
    Oh ok, I haven't experienced that, but I'll send it up for the other bug. Can you PM me the address to mail to?

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I noticed that my Fan Fail light is on when the car has been shut off and the fans run for the 20 seconds you programmed. I also have both solid state relays.

But it never comes on when driving. The fans start fine and the car keeps its cool. Is this supposed to light the light?
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

Quote Originally Posted by vps3922 View Post
    I noticed that my Fan Fail light is on when the car has been shut off and the fans run for the 20 seconds you programmed. I also have both solid state relays.

But it never comes on when driving. The fans start fine and the car keeps its cool. Is this supposed to light the light?
    It's not normal but probably one of your fans has higher or lower current than the other fan when your battery voltage is low (engine off). I would not worry about that unless you see it when driving.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    6679

Is there a way we can apply this update ourselves?

Sending internationally is a royal pain in the...
    Chris

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    It's not normal but probably one of your fans has higher or lower current than the other fan when your battery voltage is low (engine off). I would not worry about that unless you see it when driving.
    I kept an eye on that when driving around today. It was quite hot today. The car kept its cool and the fans were working fine. I noticed that the fan fail light is coming on when the car is not in movement. It stayed off when the car was on the highway but came on when I stopped at a traffic light (engine still running). I stopped it in the garage and the light came on again. Initially flashing and then solid on. It stayed on for the 20 seconds after the engine was turned off and went off after that. I had a stopover at my friend Dave's and he checked with me the fans and they both came on and were working fine. I also checked the fuses in your fan module and they are both fine.

I am not sure what is going on.
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast