FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Recall Notice, FAN RELAY

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    03572

Recall Notice, FAN RELAY

I was making a software change to filter the input signal because some cars seem to have noise on that line even when you turn the engine off, the fans keep running. Well I put that software change into one unit and will send that unit off to see if it fixes that problem in that car.

Anyway, I ran across a software bug that could cause the fans not to go on. It's a rare occurrence but I don't want anyone to have that problem. So I recommend you remove my solid state fan relay (painted brown) and use a standard mechanical relay until you send the solid state one back for a software update.

The problem can happen when one signal (the AC or otterstat) turns off and the other one turns on within 1 or 2 seconds of the first one turning off.

Sorry about this inconvenience.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Dave, could this be causing the periodic flashing of the fan fail light (near continuous blinking, but comes and goes as to when). The fans have been confirmed to be working fine even when this happens. I have both of your fan modules.....
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    Dave, could this be causing the periodic flashing of the fan fail light (near continuous blinking, but comes and goes as to when). The fans have been confirmed to be working fine even when this happens. I have both of your fan modules.....
    No that would not affect the fan fail flashing. What REV is marked on your fan fail unit (if any).
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    3472 (former)

Club(s):   (DCVA) (DCUK)

Dave, my fans keep running for 20 seconds when I turn my car off, figured it was normal since the module is designed to keep powering the fans if the relay loses power in some way and I wasn't sure if it had a way to know if the car was off. Is this what you're talking about, or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    I've got them both as well. My fan fail light also had a sporadic blink, but then I cleaned the grounds for the fans and it went away. The light is designed to come on if there's some percentage of discrepancy between the two fans in the amount of amps they're drawing, it could be yours are right near that line.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Dave, my fans keep running for 20 seconds when I turn my car off, figured it was normal since the module is designed to keep powering the fans if the relay loses power in some way and I wasn't sure if it had a way to know if the car was off. Is this what you're talking about, or something else?

I've got them both as well. My fan fail light also had a sporadic blink, but then I cleaned the grounds for the fans and it went away. The light is designed to come on if there's some percentage of discrepancy between the two fans in the amount of amps they're drawing, it could be yours are right near that line.
    No the 20 seconds running is normal if the fans were running when you shut the car off. What one or two owners have found was it would run past that 20 seconds. It must be a noise caused by the fans or wiring that re triggers the relay input.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    3472 (former)

Club(s):   (DCVA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    No the 20 seconds running is normal if the fans were running when you shut the car off. What one or two owners have found was it would run past that 20 seconds. It must be a noise caused by the fans or wiring that re triggers the relay input.
    Oh ok, I haven't experienced that, but I'll send it up for the other bug. Can you PM me the address to mail to?

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Isn't Farrar the Royal Male?

At least his voice is
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"