FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Evaluation help. What should I be paying?

Evaluation help. What should I be paying?

Found a delorean out my way, need help with the value. Because these are so low production, I'm having a hard time figuring out what I should be offering.

I've attached all the images I have of the car. The seller say's its a 1981, but the hood has the emblem and I can't make out a gas cap, which I believe indicates a late 82 or 83. It has a 5.0 ford engine in it. Carbureted, so I assume out of a mid 80's mustang. Also says it's a 5 spd manual, and from what I've found, most people just adapt engines to the stock transaxles.

I'm assuming its not in running shape, and needs wiring and interior work from what I can see / what I've been told. I also am not certain the owner has the tail section, but have yet to confirm.

Any insight is much appreciated! I hope this works out and I can join the community!
    -Rich
    Last edited by delox; 12-05-2012 at 02:07 PM.

It depends on what your plans are for her. But just judging off your info, and her state from the pics, I wouldn't offer anything more than 5k and that's more than fair for a car that doesn't run, and has been modified in who knows what ways.
    Last edited by thirdmanj; 12-05-2012 at 02:15 PM.
    1-800-273-8255

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Honestly, this one is scary. Unless you can get it for an awesome price, I'd steer clear of it. It's probably not the first winter it's sat out there and I seriously doubt the fluids were properly drained. I'm not liking the fact that it doesn't have the PRV in it, either. There's a TON of work that it'll need to go through, virtually an entire rebuild. And there are some interior parts missing that can't be ordered anymore; you'll have to find a parts car to get them.

You're looking at putting a lot of cash into it, probably $10-$15k at least. You might as well spend that money on a good, running car.

I'd offer him $4k and pay no more than $4,500 if you're looking for a serious project car.

Alex

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by delox View Post
    Found a delorean out my way, need help with the value. Because these are so low production, I'm having a hard time figuring out what I should be offering.

I've attached all the images I have of the car. The seller say's its a 1981, but the hood has the emblem and I can't make out a gas cap, which I believe indicates a late 82 or 83. It has a 5.0 ford engine in it. Carbureted, so I assume out of a mid 80's mustang. Also says it's a 5 spd manual, and from what I've found, most people just adapt engines to the stock transaxles.

I'm assuming its not in running shape, and needs wiring and interior work from what I can see / what I've been told. I also am not certain the owner has the tail section, but have yet to confirm.

Any insight is much appreciated! I hope this works out and I can join the community!
    -Rich
    Offer him $3000.00 USD cash, I know he will take it.

He is asking $4900.00 but he also stated that he need to get it out ASAP and will take less.

You will need a lot of money to fix it but if you don't have that money, you can always sell it in parts and make some money (hope not)

If you really want that car, go ahead and buy it, once is public, someone else will buy it before you.

Don't give more info if you really want it, if you don't, then let some one else from this forum to buy it.

LEVY
    Last edited by LEVY; 12-05-2012 at 02:20 PM.
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by LEVY View Post
    Offer him $3000.00 USD cash, I know he will take it.

He is asking $4900.00 but he also stated that he need to get it out ASAP and will take less.

You will need a lot of money to fix it but if you don't have that money, you can always sell it in parts and make some money (hope not)

If you really want that car, go ahead and buy it, once is public, someone else will buy it before you.

Don't give more info if you really want it, if you don't, then let some one else from this forum to buy it.

LEVY
    That is a 1000.00 dollar car tops. I would be pushing it paying a grand for that. It obviously has been neglected and bastardized extensively.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by delox View Post

I've attached all the images I have of the car. The seller say's its a 1981, but the hood has the emblem and I can't make out a gas cap, which I believe indicates a late 82 or 83.
    -Rich
    That part at least is easy. Find the VIN plate (on the drivers door jamb, if the door opens, or on the front edge of the dash - through the windscreen) and post it here. If the last 5 digits are <07200 then it is an 81.

We would appreciate knowing which car this is for the archives, anyway.

$3k would be tops. there is no way you can see the frame, and it is doubtful to be in great condition. Check that the drivers door torsion bar is there, or add another grand to your resto bill.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    That is a 1000.00 dollar car tops. I would be pushing it paying a grand for that. It obviously has been neglected and bastardized extensively.
    Bet you can get more than $1000.00 in parts.

Of course, if he is going to pay for everything, then it will be very expensive to restore. For someone handy, $3000.00 is not bad, I would buy it but it is too far away from me, if it was around the corner, I would fight that price and buy it.

LEVY
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

Thanks for the input. I had a feeling I was lovestruck by the idea of seeing one locally, and wanted a reality check. I am very handy, can fab and have done extensive frame modifications, engine builds/swaps and resto's before. I'd likely be lifting the body off the frame and cleaning it up extensively. I have no intention of restoring it to its former glory (stock resto), I feel this one is not worth it.

I would likely be yanking that old 5.0 and coming up with something unique to drop in her. Lets look at this as a rolling chassis.

I do not see any body damage, and I would redo the interior my own way.

I always want another project, so if I can get the car for under $3000 I think I'd be happy.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

That's a parts car, value it as such. If however you are planning a engine swap, this would be the car to use.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Damn, I'm a generous mother.

Of us all, Josh is most certainly the authority, with the others hitting the 3 marks and high 4s, split the difference and try for 2 or 2500. But the man says 1g.
    1-800-273-8255

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast