FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: SMD LEDs for the Binnacle/Dash Lights

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    Check Fuse #6.

I kept blowing it and found that my Hazard Switch was loose internally and was creating a short. The faulty switch would also take out fuse #4 as well.

A reverse polarity insertion has yet to take out either a fuse or an LED for me.
    I checked 5 and 6 (dash instruments and hazard/horn) - no issues. I don't think I checked 4 or 8 - and looking at some more schematics it looks like 8 could definitely be to blame. Will report back, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    I checked 5 and 6 (dash instruments and hazard/horn) - no issues. I don't think I checked 4 or 8 - and looking at some more schematics it looks like 8 could definitely be to blame. Will report back, thanks!
    Yep, fuse #8 was it. Not quite sure how I blew it, but with all the lamp swapping I can totally see how it could happen. Will keep an eye on the headlamp switch to see if it might be shorting internally, it's an original switch and I know they have a tendency to melt. Thanks!

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

Yep, fuse #8 was it. Not quite sure how I blew it, but with all the lamp swapping I can totally see how it could happen. Will keep an eye on the headlamp switch to see if it might be shorting internally, it's an original switch and I know they have a tendency to melt. Thanks!
    I guess you blew the fuse because you didn't alter the connection wires of the wedge foot of the hazard and main light signal LEDs.
    For some odd reason the socket's electrical connetion are different from the "ordinary" wedge sockets.
    Each of the wires is folded around the foot.
    You'll have to cut each wire just a bit before the fold (at the right side of course so the remaining part still connects to the LED unit).
    Once that's done, insert the LED's wedge carefully into the switches socket, preventing the wires to bend.
    When fully seated, your signal should light with pressing the switch and not blow a fuse.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

Quote Originally Posted by WelmoedJ View Post
    I guess you blew the fuse because you didn't alter the connection wires of the wedge foot of the hazard and main light signal LEDs.
    For some odd reason the socket's electrical connetion are different from the "ordinary" wedge sockets.
    Each of the wires is folded around the foot.
    You'll have to cut each wire just a bit before the fold (at the right side of course so the remaining part still connects to the LED unit).
    Once that's done, insert the LED's wedge carefully into the switches socket, preventing the wires to bend.
    When fully seated, your signal should light with pressing the switch and not blow a fuse.
    Yep, cleaning up those leads and replacing #8 got things working great. Looks fantastic, but I wasn't happy with how the white LEDs looked behind the red panels for the fan fail, rear defrost and door lock indicators - much too bright and pink. I just ordered some red ones (and an amber, just to try it out for the defogger) instead.

My VIN:    1968

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

How much room is there for the bulbs? I wanted to put in blue leds, but yours don't come in blue from that source. I found these (regular leds) but the heads seem kind of big. Is there room there? Do they need to go through a hole that might be too small?
    GP194F-5B.gif

I know I will find out when I take the binnacle out, but want to order the bulbs first :-)
    Thanks!
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by aludden View Post
    How much room is there for the bulbs? I wanted to put in blue leds, but yours don't come in blue from that source. I found these (regular leds) but the heads seem kind of big. Is there room there? Do they need to go through a hole that might be too small?
    GP194F-5B.gif

I know I will find out when I take the binnacle out, but want to order the bulbs first :-)
    Thanks!
    Alex
    I don't know where specifically you want to put those, but I can almost guarantee that they won't fit... most of the bulb locations are rounded tubes that just won't accept a bulb like that, period. Not without modifications to the panels anyway.

I do think that SuperbrightLEDs had blue versions of just about every bulb you'd need for the dash - maybe not SMD, but definitely traditional LEDs.....

I don't know where specifically you want to put those, but I can almost guarantee that they won't fit... most of the bulb locations are rounded tubes that just won't accept a bulb like that, period. Not without modifications to the panels anyway.

I do think that SuperbrightLEDs had blue versions of just about every bulb you'd need for the dash - maybe not SMD, but definitely traditional LEDs.....
    Thanks for the info. I want them for the dash illumination. I just ordered most of the other leds in the car from Superbright, but I wanted blue for the dash and the doors, and these are 1/3 the price of the ones from Superbright (and I need 11 of them). I will keep looking.

In the original post of this thread, it is mentioned that those bulbs won't fit the doors, yet on the lists I have seen from Superbright, the doors and dash have the same WLEDs. Are they really different? Would these bigger ones fit on the doors?

Thanks!
    Alex

My VIN:    05141

I had blue Led's in my binacle 2 years ago, but I went back to white. It was just... too blue, it felt uncomfortable in my eyes.
    But by putting them back to white, I forgot the day-counter. But afterwards, I kind of like it that way. I have blue lights in my doors, and in my console, it all blends in very nicely now. Especially with my new blue digital clock.

John
    Attached Images

Steering with power

Quote Originally Posted by john 05141 View Post
    I had blue Led's in my binacle 2 years ago, but I went back to white. It was just... too blue, it felt uncomfortable in my eyes.
    But by putting them back to white, I forgot the day-counter. But afterwards, I kind of like it that way. I have blue lights in my doors, and in my console, it all blends in very nicely now. Especially with my new blue digital clock.

John
    Cool! Thank you for the pictures! I see that you put blue LEDs on the ac panel. I thought they wouldn't work because of the red bands on the dial, but I actually like it in your pictures. The white ones I ordered are on their way... :-(

One thing I am concerned on the dash is that generally I don't like the dash to be too bright, and the LEDs are not dimmable as I understand? (although I read one post where someone said they were) Which ones did you get? Superbright?

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

For instrument light you need 4x WLED-CW6 (cool white).
    They have 6 LEDs and are not too bright for the dash.
    Supplier SuperBrightLeds.com, USD 3.74 ea.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

Quote Originally Posted by john 05141 View Post

John
    There is that kickass logo on the wheel again. I read your response to my query about but I didn't see it say what exactly it is made of and how you installed it. Thanks!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast