FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Restoring old NTCs to make a coffee table

My VIN:    4534

Restoring old NTCs to make a coffee table

Just like the title says, I'm looking for a way to restore a couple of old NCTs to possibly turn into a coffee table like this:

The tires aren't in bad shape. One has low tread in the center but I could make that the bottom tire. I've got tons of aluminum around and I might even be able to score some stainless to really make it an interesting piece.

I'm going to wash and scrub them with Dawn. I'd like to put something on them to shine them up a little but I have idiotic pets that might lick these things. I don't want something toxic on the tires that might poison them. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Kenny_Z; 07-20-2014 at 10:38 AM.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    2861

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

I actually did something similar to this. I had a set of 17" 5Zigen GT8s on my Eclipse that I had removed after one of them got bent, and I made end tables out of them. There were only four, so I got two used tires that were the same size and as close a tread pattern match as I could find to raise them to the proper height. The guy at the tire shop actually gave them to me for free when I told him what I was doing with them! I scrubbed them clean, but didn't really apply anything to make them really shiny. Once they were clean they looked fine and I didn't want any greasy "tire shine" type finish to smear off onto furniture, people, etc.

IMG_2222[1].jpg

I couldn't do a storage compartment since the centers aren't hollow, but that's a pretty cool idea! I had a local glass shop cut a piece of grey glass for the top. Almost 12 years later and still working great!

Perhaps a wipe down with leather conditioner would give a nice finish without being too greasy?
    Mike

2861 - Aug '81, 5-speed, black interior, gas-flap.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Two tires stacked on top of each other is kind of wobbly. I would make a round insert to stiffen it up with a top on it. Glue it all together with some construction adhesive like Liquid Nail. Maybe have a lamp stick up out of it!
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    4534

Thanks for the information Mike. David, I think the table in the center has the two tires bolted together with the plate sandwiched between them. That's probably sturdy enough for basic use.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

Club(s):   (DCF)

Meguiars Rubber and Vinyl cleaner/protector is great for making the tires black and a second coat makes them shine. The stuff doesn't sling so it's not oily at all. I'd also put a base on them to add strength and avoid transferring rubber to any surface
    Former Owner : 4875