FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Remote Clutch Bleeding Device

My VIN:    6452

Remote Clutch Bleeding Device

I just bought a remote clutch bleeding device from John at Specialty Auto Parts. Does anyone have a thought as to the easiest way to install it? I was thinking about a crows foot wrench but I do not believe that they are made in an 8mm size. My car is stock and I would rather not take it apart (intake manifold, etc.) to install this device.

Thanks,

Scot

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

I installed it from the top, w/o removing any other parts.
    Access is limited, and I recall having to lay flat over the intake, in order to be able to see and access the fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by scotstern View Post
    I just bought a remote clutch bleeding device from John at Specialty Auto Parts. Does anyone have a thought as to the easiest way to install it? I was thinking about a crows foot wrench but I do not believe that they are made in an 8mm size. My car is stock and I would rather not take it apart (intake manifold, etc.) to install this device.

Thanks,

Scot
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

My VIN:    05457

I also installed Hervey's bleeder. Love it! Bled my clutch last month just because it is so easy to do now and wanted to be sure the fluid was fresh.

There are two primary ways to install, neither require removing anything from the engine:
    1. Put a blanket over your engine and lay on top of it looking down the center, slighly to the right (passenger side). You may be able to see or feel the bleed screw that needs to be removed. You should be able to maneuver a standard socket wrench down there to unscrew the bleed screw and tighten Hervey's bleeder on.
    2. Put the car on ramps and reach up to the slave cylinder from underneath. You will have to do this blind, but if you know what you are feeling for I personally think this is more comfortable than laying on the top of the engine. I think I'm in the minority on that however.

You shouldn't need a crows foot wrench, but I could see how it might make the job easier from above. Whatever your preference is.

Neither option is easy, but you'll get it. When I first bought my car and tried to access the bleed screw I think I spent an hour just trying to find it. Now that I know what is where it isn't hard at all (though Hervey's bleeder makes it even easier). I say that just so that you don't get frustrated if it doesn't go as easy as it feels like it should.
    David Proehl

Thanks for the input. It should be arriving in a couple of days as I ordered it over a week ago. I already have the current fitting removed which I did with a 8mm deep socket and a 12 inch extension. Unfortunately, I dropped the fitting somewhere and it did not come out through the bottom. I spent a long time looking for it to no avail. It will have to become a permanent part of the car at this point.

I am hoping that I can find a way to get the remote bleeder installed and tightened in. I think that installing it "hand tight" should not bee too difficult but snugging it up might be a real challenge.

Thanks again,

Scot

My VIN:    05457

You've likely read this already in other posts, but for those that may come across this thread later:
    • Ensure teflon tape is on the bleeder extension threads, otherwise it will leak (I think Hervey sends it out with tape on the threads already)
    • When tightening with a wrench, do not do so from the top of the extension, only tighten from the base otherwise you will damage the extension
    David Proehl

I did read about the Teflon tape and tightening it from the base. My plan is to VERY GENTLY thread it in by CAREFULLY turning it from the top part (Gently) and then use a wrench on the base to tighten it in place. It is the wrench part that seems arduous due to space limitations. Any more advise?

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Any more advise?
    Keep your original bleeder fitting in the glove box. I had two of his remote bleeders fail. One leaked near the top, the other one popped apart near the base rendering the car un-driveable. Fortunately I was only a 5 minute walk from work where i borrowed a few tools and reinstalled the original. Bought fluid, topped off and bled, and finally got home.

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    Keep your original bleeder fitting in the glove box. I had two of his remote bleeders fail. One leaked near the top, the other one popped apart near the base rendering the car un-driveable. Fortunately I was only a 5 minute walk from work where i borrowed a few tools and reinstalled the original. Bought fluid, topped off and bled, and finally got home.
    Good Idea! The one that I received from John looked really well made and was welded rather well.

My VIN:    03572

Good Idea! The one that I received from John looked really well made and was welded rather well.
    I think it is just brazed which is why you don't want to use the top hex to tighten.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/