FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ok so not really Delorean related

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Go people watching. Observe THE HIPSTERS in their natural habitat.
    Oh my lord... The hipsters. FACEPALM!
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by spedlot View Post
    We just got in last night and plan on going to grouse mountain today. We hear it pretty awesome. Any suggestions. We are here until Monday morning.
    Yes, Grouse Mountain is a nice idea. Make sure you stop by the Grizzleys (Cooler and Grinder) and maybe check out the lumberjack and birds in motion show on the mountain. Right accross the parking lot is a pen with three wolves. They might not be out in the heat, though. You will pass by Capilano Bridge on the way to Grouse Mountain. It is very pricey though. There is a free hanging bridge in Lynn Valley, if you have a car. Check it out on the web.

Nice things to do on the weekend:
    Outdoors (always the best with great weather):
    1. walk around Stanley Park (or through it) - you can always stop at the little beaches or go into the forest if you like shade
    2. enjoy the waters at the outdoor pool at Second Beach (you will pass this area shoudl you walk around Stanley Park at the seafront)
    3. for food try Denman street on West End. They have some nice restaurants (depending on your diet).
    4. walk around False Creek. You can walk up Davie Street from False Creek and there is the RoundHouse Community Center. It is an old train garage and there is a steam powered train in a showroom. Entrance is free but donations are welcome there. Same corner has a great FOod Truck called "The loving Hut Express". Awesome (metless) burgers! You won't taste the difference to a meat burger. But that's just me.
    5. take the Seabus from Waterfront to North Vancouver Quay Market - very nice market with several restaurants. Nice area around there, too, and you have a great view of downtown Vancouver
    6. if you have a car: drive up to Cypress Bowl Road, leading up to Cypress Mountain. There is a great lookout overlooking Stanley Park and Downtown.
    7. Close to Science World is China Town, if you like to see that.
    8. Going onto the other side of English bay (which is also a great spot and at the end of Denman street) you can go to Kitsilano Beach. Nice area there and has some great icecream shops.
    9. If you like a nice sandy beach try Jericho beach in Kitsilano
    10. If you like a futuristic building, often shown in local SciFi productions, go to Queen Elisabeth Park and have a look at the Bloedel Conservatory. It is a tropical forest under a glass roof with tropical birds in it.
    11. Granville Island is a must. Located under Granville Bridge. It has a nice market and a ton of little shops. A big toy store and play area for kids and for daddy: The Granville Island Brewery!
    12. There will be VIVA Granville Block party downtown on Granville Street

Indoors:
    1. Science World at False Creek - great adventure for kids

That should fill your day a bit. I would love to meet you but I am leaving for the beach (Ocean Shores, WA) this afternoon and will return on Monday evening. Maybe next time. Let me know when you will come back.
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Grouse is good. You can hike up or take the gondola. The capilano suspension bridge is on the way. It's over priced but pretty cool.

Stanley park is a great day. You can walk, hike or ride bikes along the sea wall. There is also an aquarium in the park.

If you want to get out of the city, go to whistler for a day. Lots of awesome ways to fill a day from checking out shops in the village to white water rafting and peak to peak gondola rides.
    Yep, Whistler is noce as well, but you have to drive one hour to get there. The drive is really nice and scenic! You will pass by the Ciprus Road I mentioned in my post to get to the lookout.
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

My VIN:    6235

Thanks for the awesome suggestions. I'm looking at some different things now in the hotel lobby. We are staying at the Hyatt downtown. No car so public transportation or cab ride. Granville island is on the to do list I think tomorrow. The brewery sounds good. The concierge said there is a nice Canadian pub just a few blocks from the hotel. Not too sure how "authentic" or " Canadian" it's going to be in tourist land here downtown. I heard dim sum is really good here in china town. Any suggestions? I like the false creek train yard. How far is false creek from downtown. When I travel I like to experience more " authentic" type foods. Any suggestions close to downtown?

Too bad your not around. Would love to meet a local d owner.

Whistler sounds nice but no car and cab ride is way too much.

Thanks for the awesome suggestions. I'm looking at some different things now in the hotel lobby. We are staying at the Hyatt downtown. No car so public transportation or cab ride. Granville island is on the to do list I think tomorrow. The brewery sounds good. The concierge said there is a nice Canadian pub just a few blocks from the hotel. Not too sure how "authentic" or " Canadian" it's going to be in tourist land here downtown. I heard dim sum is really good here in china town. Any suggestions? I like the false creek train yard. How far is false creek from downtown. When I travel I like to experience more " authentic" type foods. Any suggestions close to downtown?

I work in Gastown. That's something I should have mentioned - go to Gastown, it's my favourite part of vancouver with the exception of it's high hipster density!

There's really no authentic Canadian cuisine apart from the usual sea food most of the pacific is already familiar with.

False creek is actually part of downtown, it runs under the burrard and granville bridges.

The great thing about Vancouver is that it's all relatively walkable, with the exception of getting to stanley park or english bay, which would be a hike.

The only place to avoid is east hastings and cordova between abbott and columbia. Dont go there. You wont die, but you wont feel safe. I live(d) and work a few blocks from there and still avoid that stretch.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

If you look at a map, stanley park is about the same size as our downtown core. It's huge.

remember Burrard is you major north/south travel route and west georgia is your major east/west route.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    I work in Gastown. That's something I should have mentioned - go to Gastown, it's my favourite part of vancouver with the exception of it's high hipster density!

There's really no authentic Canadian cuisine apart from the usual sea food most of the pacific is already familiar with.

False creek is actually part of downtown, it runs under the burrard and granville bridges.

The great thing about Vancouver is that it's all relatively walkable, with the exception of getting to stanley park or english bay, which would be a hike.

The only place to avoid is east hastings and cordova between abbott and columbia. Dont go there. You wont die, but you wont feel safe. I live(d) and work a few blocks from there and still avoid that stretch.
    What he said!
    - Volker Seidel -

I cannot recommend (because I never tested/tasted them, not because they are not good!) a restaurant in Chanatown, but I heard that they are good if you like the authenticity. You should also try their steam rolls! They are awesome!
    - Volker Seidel -

Ok. Well check out false creek. And I looked on the map. The bad area looks a little far for me to walk so we won't go there. Thanks for the heads up. You guys are awesome.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast