FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Defrost switch rebuild instructions?

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    That would be great. You rebuilt it successfully?
    Well, it wasn't broken in the first place (so I hope as I also never tested it) and it seems to work again. The only function it has for me (and probably for you) is to turn the light on in the AC control fascia.
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Yup, as long as it looks like it works.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    I have never once used the defrost function. Has anyone actually used this?
    I never did until I installed the heated wide-angle convex lenses. The heater wires in the doors are energized whenever the key is on, so I did the relay-connected-to-the-defroster mod so they are only on when I want them to be.

One thing that is missing in both sets of instructions - clean the switch contacts while apart.

I'm not sure what the contact plating is, but a round or two of brass polish followed up with an alcohol-soaked cotton swab should do the trick.

Or the quick and dirty way is to pinch a business card between the contacts and pull the card out. Do that a few times per set of contacts.
    Last edited by FABombjoy; 07-24-2014 at 01:27 PM.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I used some Internet translator for the French/English.
    But all you Canadians speak French?!?!?!

Banned

My VIN:    1798

I used mine once to actually defrost the rear window 11 years ago when I was on vacation with the car in the Black Hills (which can get some pretty funky weather sometimes). Worked well. Other than that, pretty much the same as everyone else

My VIN:    11789

an old thread I know. The .pdf file early is very helpful. Is it possible to buy the brass components inside the switch?
    Currently resurrecting Vin # 11789 - One of the batch of 50 exported to the Middle East in 1982.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Switch guts.

Quote Originally Posted by SpudMurphy View Post
    an old thread I know. The .pdf file early is very helpful. Is it possible to buy the brass components inside the switch?
    I don't think so but I know how to reassemble what's there if it is there.

My VIN:    11789

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    I don't think so but I know how to reassemble what's there if it is there.
    Thanks for the reply. From the images on the pdf file - mine is missing the pin - It's a very "agricultural switch" and I'll strip it down - but all I can see at the moment is two brass components inside. All the costs are building up and was just looking to save almost £40 - which would go a long way to getting a wheel refurbed :-).

Whilst on the wheel topic (and I apologise for taking this OT), my car - one of the 50 exported to the UAE in 1982 - I believed it used early grey wheels - is the paint code available for the Wheel Restorers to get a good match? Cheers Spud
    Currently resurrecting Vin # 11789 - One of the batch of 50 exported to the Middle East in 1982.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2