FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 21st Century tail light circuit boards

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    Hey Dave,

Will this be a good location to easily add a trailer connector for DeLoreans with a trailer hitch installed? Just curious.

Thanks,
    Rich W.
    I would not want to add any load to the OEM connectors. So it's a conditional yes, but I would (at the same time) do the pigtail thing.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by alexwolf1216 View Post
    How do these leds compare to the super bright ones recommended previously? I just ordered and installed the flasher relay, and cleaned up my boards but want to make the jump to leds.
    I'm currently running 1 Cree + 12 side firing SMDs on my car:

Not a self styled 'Guru'

Quote Originally Posted by alexwolf1216 View Post
    How do these leds compare to the super bright ones recommended previously? I just ordered and installed the flasher relay, and cleaned up my boards but want to make the jump to leds.
    When I switched to LED's last year, after consulting Ozzies blog and the great guide he put together, when I was compiling my shopping list on superbrights website, I came across and ultimately went with these 1156 45 smd led bulbs instead for the taillights.
    http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...led-tower/526/ Cost difference on the 18 smd vs 45 smd bulbs is negligible.

And also a pair of 1157 45 smd led bulbs for the front indicators: http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...ed-tower-/814/
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

My VIN:    3060

So I already have LEDs on my boards so I could just order the incandescent version and pop those out and pop my LEDs in, right? The boards are the same right? The difference is only if they come with LEDs or not, right?

Just wondering.

DMC Texas 800-872-3621 or +1-281-441-2537 DMCH James's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 10570 and 6776

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    So I already have LEDs on my boards so I could just order the incandescent version and pop those out and pop my LEDs in, right? The boards are the same right? The difference is only if they come with LEDs or not, right?

Just wondering.
    Correct - well, if you order the LED ones they come with a LED-compatible flasher unit.
    James Espey, President
    DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
    http://www.lcassicdmc.com

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCH James View Post
    I'll put up a side-by-side comparison of incandescent and LED tomorrow.

The "alternate wiring mode" is to accommodate owners whose tail light harness connectors have failed - the little holes in the board near where the standard connector attaches? These are designed to accept wires from a standard (http://www.delcity.net/store/5!Way-C...or-Loop/p_8774) trailer harness. Cut the offending connector off your tail light harness and attach/solder as required.
    Have you posted this anywhere yet? I'm still looking forward to it as I'm considering these boards.

My VIN:    5439

Club(s):   (DOI)

The new boards looks great! Just bought a set, can't wait to install

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

I received my new tail boards, (with LED option), on the 15th. I installed them, (minus the blinkers), a week later.
    I checked them all out during/after installation, Headlights on and such and Loved what I saw. I turned the key on to see the backup lights. Nice....
    This morning was the first time I was able to see how they did at dawn/dark.
    After starting the car, I was Shocked seeing the brake lights running in my mirror? (Reflection on my garage door). I depressed the brake pedal and the lights got brighter. Humph, That's right.
    I shut the car off and they shut off. Turned the key to ON and nothing happened. Good. Started it again they were ON?
    I've found that if the key is ON, nothing. If I hit Start the Brake lights come on in Tail/marker light(?) mode. They still get brighter when I use the brake. (Like they should).

My question, What the heck is going on? I did another test, If I hit the starter, (Thus activating the outside Brake lights), but don't start the car, I can hear a NEW Buzzing in the engine compartment?

NO, this is a New buzzing I've never heard before. Sounds like it's around the Ballast resistor.?

There was nothing wrong with my old boards. I Upgraded because I figured they might fail me at the worst time. I think I'm re-installing my old boards. (With the LED's)...

George.
    Last edited by refugeefromcalif; 08-26-2014 at 08:48 PM.
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by refugeefromcalif View Post
    There was nothing wrong with my old boards. I Upgraded because I figured they might fail me at the worst time. I think I'm re-installing my old boards. (With the LED's)...

George.
    Well, that doesn't sound very promising at all....

Is there anyway that you can make a video of the situation and post it, as trying to the follow the written description of what's going on is somewhat vague/nebulous.

From what I've taken away from your description, this is what's happening:

When the engine's running, and with the headlight switch engaged (in either the parking/running light only or full on illumination positions), the brake lights are on even though the brake switch isn't being activated by a depression of the brake pedal.

But when you do depress the brake pedal, the brake light positions get even brighter.

Is that right?

If so, then yeah, that sounds pretty messed up - there's clearly some bleeding/leakage occurring on the board's traces or some other problem in the design or production process that's causing the problem. While I'd chalk it up to a fluke single product defect, the fact that both your boards are doing the same thing would suggest otherwise.

Hopefully you'll get an official response from the vendor soon.

Best luck

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by refugeefromcalif View Post
    I received my new tail boards, (with LED option), on the 15th. I installed them, (minus the blinkers), a week later.
    I checked them all out during/after installation, Headlights on and such and Loved what I saw. I turned the key on to see the backup lights. Nice....
    This morning was the first time I was able to see how they did at dawn/dark.
    After starting the car, I was Shocked seeing the brake lights running in my mirror? (Reflection on my garage door). I depressed the brake pedal and the lights got brighter. Humph, That's right.
    I shut the car off and they shut off. Turned the key to ON and nothing happened. Good. Started it again they were ON?
    I've found that if the key is ON, nothing. If I hit Start the Brake lights come on in Tail/marker light(?) mode. They still get brighter when I use the brake. (Like they should).

My question, What the heck is going on? I did another test, If I hit the starter, (Thus activating the outside Brake lights), but don't start the car, I can hear a NEW Buzzing in the engine compartment?

NO, this is a New buzzing I've never heard before. Sounds like it's around the Ballast resistor.?

George.
    http://www.pjgrady.com/product/tail-...ircuit-boards/

If all else fails and you still want improved boards, try ^^. These things have been out for years, make that decades. I have had mine in since I bought my car over 5 years ago with no problems. I'm glad DMCH finally got wise to their boards needing improvement, but they are a bit late to the party.

As far as your boards go, the brake lights may not function anymore unless the ignition is on(probably because of the LED option?). The only way to make sure is have a friend get in the car, command them to brake, light, reverse, turn signal, etc. and view for yourself from outside the car. As long as everything works with the engine/ignition on you should be fine. As far as I know, the ONLY function that works with ignition power off is brake, and your running lights of course with lights on. Turn signals and reverse will not function unless ignition is in the run(#2) position....that's with incadesant bulbs, LED's may be totally different.
    Last edited by Michael; 08-26-2014 at 09:19 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast