FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Dmc 12 3519 runs and drives!!!!!!

My VIN:    3519

3519 runs and drives!!!!!!

After WEEKS of work and many hundreds of dollars. My Delorean has started and driven under it's own power for the first time in 16 years!

Some of you may have seen that I had a strange hard start issue. After scooping out pounds of varnish from the tank and replacing all the fuel pump components. i was unable to get the car to start and run. It would start only if i removed the fuel pump fuse and ran it off of accumulator pressure only. Running it that way confirmed that the car did in fact run. but was not able to get consistent fuel delivery.

I replaced the cold start valve, but the old one appeared to be OK anyway, so no, that wasn't it. I cleaned a checked all the injectors and they checked out ok. The symptoms did not match that of a bad warm up regulator, so I ruled that out for now. Frequency valve seemd to work. So what was it?

After many calls to both Stephen at DMCH and Danny at DMCCA, Danny finally suggested i check the plunger in the fuel distributor. It could be stuck wide open and causing a hyper rich situation that was flooding my cylinders. I removed the fuel distributor and sure enough, it was stuck fast. 45 minutes with a touch of acetone sitting on it and it was free. I reassembled everything and she runs beautifully!

Everything seems to work ok except the blower motor for the hvac system. The angle drive even works! (for now)
    Last edited by Denverdelorean; 07-30-2014 at 12:34 AM.

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Denverdelorean View Post
    After WEEKS of work and many hundreds of dollars. My Delorean has started and driven under it's own power for the first time in 16 years!

Some of you may have seen that I had a strange hard start issue. After scooping out pounds of varnish from the tank and replacing all the fuel pump components. i was unable to get the car to start and run. It would start only if i removed the fuel pump fuse and ran it off of accumulator pressure only. Running it that way confirmed that the car did in fact run. but was not able to get consistent fuel delivery.

I replaced the cold start valve, but the old one appeared to be OK anyway, so no, that wasn't it. I cleaned a checked all the injectors and they checked out ok. The symptoms did not match that of a bad warm up regulator, so I ruled that out for now. Frequency valve seemd to work. So what was it?

After many calls to both Stephen at DMCH and Danny at DMCCA, Danny finally suggested i check the plunger in the fuel distributor. It could be stuck wide open and causing a hyper rich situation that was flooding my cylinders. I removed the fuel distributor and sure enough, it was stuck fast. 45 minutes with a touch of acetone sitting on it and it was free. I reassembled everything and she runs beautifully!

Everything seems to work ok except the blower motor for the hvac system. The angle drive even works! (for now)
    Congratulations for bringing her back! I wish you lots of fun with her (are DeLoreans female?...hmmm...might explain why they are a dick magnet and not a chick magnet )!

!This blog entry contains coarse language. Viewer discretion is strongly advised!
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

My VIN:    06960

Ahem, I dont believe you mentioned anywhere in your previous thread that the car had sat for 16 years! A stuck plunger would have been one of my (and many of us) first suggestion.

Details details!

Glad you got it working.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    3519

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    Ahem, I dont believe you mentioned anywhere in your previous thread that the car had sat for 16 years! A stuck plunger would have been one of my (and many of us) first suggestion.

Details details!

Glad you got it working.

Yeah, i found that little detail to be helpful to Danny as well. He asked what started my problems, and i said nothing, it has been sitting for over a decade! Live and Learn.

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

Congratulations!
    Good job getting her back to driving condition.
    Enjoy!
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

My VIN:    * 5945 * Oct, 31, 1981. FranKenDeLorean

Club(s):   (DCF)

Now you can relax and enjoy the car..

Reminds me when I had a similar fuel issue over the holidays. I pretty much took apart and cleaned my whole fuel system and failed to notice the kinked line coming out of my accumulator being my troubles. What I had least expected had been true. Oh well, at least I know everything else is good now. At least you did a good thorough cleaning and don't have to worry about it for a long while!

--Randy
    ** A wave is like an empty canvas, waiting for a masterpiece -- unknown **
    ** VIN 5945 - FranKenDeLorean Oct 31, 1981 ** SpaceCoast, FL, USA ** DMCTalk Member/DMCOwner Since 2005

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Bravo!!! Fire her up and let her run

reminds me I should probably fix my angle drive one of these days, 2 years and I've relied on a Garmin GPS
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6