FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Assorted Helpful Technical Photos

My VIN:    3937

Yea, 100% agree with all of you. Glad it's seen as a decent idea. I wasn't sure when I put the first couple up.

I like the idea of putting it in the Resources section or somewhere else appropriate. And for sure the thought about part numbers or cataloging or by parts manual section. I too struggle with the search function sometimes and especially when you're not looking really for what was written in a certain thread but that one picture you have a vision of and can't for the life of you remember where it was!

Maybe one of the moderators has some thoughts on this and we can come up with a plan before posting too many more? If this was back in my GE life, I'd say we should have a conference call to discuss it, lol!!

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Great stuff Jonathan!

I agree with Resources being the best place.
    As some of you may remember, Mike posted that the Resources section was being revamped. I had a skeleton roughed out including the links for most of the existing posts and was working on handling duplicate/similar information and refining categorization. Most of this was posts in the Admin Section and was awaiting input/approval when unrelated circumstances prompted me to resign/retire my position and was all there last I looked...I think it would be a good start, rough as it is... ;-) Have fun!

I would suggest the post for each set of pics be in the post's title. This would make searches, including manual ones, much easier. (I noticed a lot of the individual pics already have suitable titles to use.)

P.S. I should give Chris credit for input and support in the effort.

Parking brake cable RH 101964 routing, common leak points.

Routing of parking brake cable RH (101964) on an automatic transmission
    auto trans incl dipstick tube 2.jpgauto trans incl dipstick tube.jpgLeakers.jpg

http://store.delorean.com/p-7444-prk...e-assy-rh.aspx

Also useful images for seeing location of auto trans dipstick tube lower seal 102009 on page 4-5-2

http://store.delorean.com/p-6090-o-ring-seal.aspx

And a variety of auto trans fluid leak points.

Vacuum solenoid 101116, Distributor Cap 102606

Image shows location of attachment bracket for/with the vacuum solenoid (101116) on page 2-4-0.

http://store.delorean.com/p-6687-solenoid-vacuum.aspx

vacuum solenoid.jpg

(Note the vacuum hoses and electrical connection on the solenoid in this photo are not complete, but it still gives a better visual of the solenoid and bracket than trying to get your head back in there while the engine is still in the car.)

Also shows the distributor cap and location well, 102606 on page 3-4-0.

http://store.delorean.com/p-6833-cap-distributor.aspx

Oil pressure sensor (light) 102462 location

Image shows the location of the oil pressure sensor (light) 102462 on page 1-2-0.

http://store.delorean.com/p-6227-oil...sor-light.aspx

Oil pressure sensor light location.jpg

Note: the sensor shown here on the driver side of the vehicle is for the "idiot light" part of the oil pressure reading. If it is low, the warning light on your instrument cluster should be lit. That also means it should show as lit up if you have turned the key in the ignition to accessories but not started the engine (thus not producing any pressure... a-ha!!) The sensor/sender for the oil pressure reading itself (analog gauge) is located on the passenger side near the oil filter.

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Great thread, thanks for taking the time of posting pictures

Oil pressure sensor/sender (gauge) 102763 location

Image shows the location of the oil pressure sensor/sender (gauge) 102763 on page 1-1-1.

http://store.delorean.com/p-6093-oil...der-gauge.aspx

Oil pressure sensor gauge 102763.jpg

Note: this oil pressure sensor/sender on the passenger side of the vehicle gives the analog reading/value back to the instrument cluster gauge. It will tell you what the oil pressure of the engine is, i.e. 75 psi or thereabouts. Whether it is low or not and sets off the oil pressure warning light, is up to the oil pressure sender (light) located on the driver side. The two sensors operate independently and one can be working while the other is not.

Rheostat wiring from underneath 100814

Image shows the rheostat (100814 on page 3-6-2) wiring from underneath the shifter plate. This is on an automatic.

http://store.delorean.com/p-7033-rheostat.aspx

IMG_3187.jpgIMG_3188.jpg

The second image shows the light bulb on an automatic which lights up the PRND21 part. Those wires are still there on a manual trans and sometimes those owners have wondered what the wires are/were for. This is it.

You can also see the early style auto trans shifter stem. This is the one which has the separate collar on the stem for the shift lock mechanism. That collar is tightened onto the metal stem with a small screw pressed up against the stem. The upper plastic portion (not shown) has the button itself and a plastic sleeve that comes down over the top portion of the metal stem. That piece can often twist with or without pressing the button and allowing you to move the shifter without pressing the button. Perhaps part of the reason why the design changed in later cars?

Thanks Domi!

Mods: not sure who our forum moderators are nowadays, but could one of you move this thread over to the Resources section, please? Thx.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I have my 5 spd transmission in a million pieces so ill take some pictures. Nick has a video of the transmission disassembly that would be a excellent resource as well.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Otterstat (cooling fan switch) 100816

When troubleshooting cooling fans that aren't coming on, the suggestion to jumper the otterstat often comes up. So, where is the otterstat?

http://store.delorean.com/p-6348-coo...otterstat.aspx

It is on the driver side of the car, on the cooling pipe to the outside of the engine and lower down. You can see it from above or below, and if the piping "tee" which the switch itself sits in is facing down (as it should be to help eliminate air pockets) you will see the electrical connection better from below.

IMG_3379.jpg

This is on a stock engine set-up. If your car has been changed or swapped to something else, the location of your otterstat may have changed.

The second picture shows the jumper in place. Since you are trying to fool the car into thinking the temperature of the coolant is high enough to turn the cooling fans on, the jumper goes on the leads and not the otterstat. Thus you need a short wire (the red one in the photo) with two male spade terminals on it to connect with the two female ends of the wiring. The "how-to" of troubleshooting your cooling fan circuit can be found elsewhere on the forum here, this is just where I wanted to post the photo.

IMG_3699.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast