FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Washing your engine

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Washing your engine

So I sprayed out my engine bay with the pressure washer as usual, but this time I sprayed around longer than usual (In valley, timing cover, etc)

Dried the car off and went to start it and it was running like crap. Misfiring and stumbling.

Turns out water got into the #6 injector connector (Im running an efi setup) and in and around the #6 spark plug. Long story short I fried an injector and one of the coils in the coil pack. Replaced both with spares and its running better than ever.

So moral of the story is take care when washing your engine bay. Especially with these non weatherproof connectors our cars have.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Banned

My VIN:    1798

I don't even wash the car, in a traditional sense, let alone the engine. The stock electrics are too easily compromised by water/moisture IMHO, thus keeping things as dry as possible is in your and the car's best interests.

If I ever were to spray down the engine, I think I'd bag as much of the electrical connectors and the spark plug holes as I could.

On the bright side, your engine is probably squeaky clean, thus a perfect time to take and post some pics of it (even though you don't have a plastic intake cover )

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    I don't even wash the car, in a traditional sense, let alone the engine. The stock electrics are too easily compromised by water/moisture IMHO, thus keeping things as dry as possible is in your and the car's best interests.

If I ever were to spray down the engine, I think I'd bag as much of the electrical connectors and the spark plug holes as I could.

On the bright side, your engine is probably squeaky clean, thus a perfect time to take and post some pics of it (even though you don't have a plastic intake cover )
    I am going to upgrade the connectors of my injectors to more current weather proof ones and take it easy with the pressure washer. But I will still hose out the engine bay! It is one of my OCD things to have a clean and tidy engine bay and missing that cover bugs the crap out of me lol.

However I will be plunking something on top of the intake this winter or next winter that will make that little cover a moot point and look much better

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    However I will be plunking something on top of the intake this winter or next winter that will make that little cover a moot point and look much better
    This sounds exciting

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

I gently spray Scrubbing Bubbles on the hard components (intake manifold, valve covers) and wipe it all off. Does a good enough job and no high pressure water involved. I'm also a fan of the Hefty bag over the engine when the car gets a bath
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    I gently spray Scrubbing Bubbles on the hard components (intake manifold, valve covers) and wipe it all off. Does a good enough job and no high pressure water involved. I'm also a fan of the Hefty bag over the engine when the car gets a bath
    x2. I use scrubbing bubbles on the rockers and tires. Works great, dont even wipe it off.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I like to use a combination of the above- I use a mild engine cleaner calling for a cold engine, brush anything major, let is soak a while, spray again for GP, start it up and rinse it off with a garden hose (you can hear the engine change if you hit/create a bad area with the water before it gets flooded etc), then blow it all off with compressed air and go for a ride.

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    x2. I use scrubbing bubbles on the rockers and tires. Works great, dont even wipe it off.
    Godsend for the wheels, beats scrubbing every nook and cranny for an hour or two
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Scrubbing bubbles?! And here I've been backing the car into a lake to wash the engine like a sucker.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Scrubbing bubbles?! And here I've been backing the car into a lake to wash the engine like a sucker.
    make sure its on, the alt fan will splash around the water.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast