VIN 16951 from France
Let me introduce you to VIN 16951 from August 1982. I just want to create a thread on the car to share the work done on the car over the past few years and the years to come. Nevertheless, itís not a major restoration, so I hope you donít mind a thread here?
So, I bought the car on October the 14th of 1995. The car had around 24000 miles on the odometer.
It belongs to a lady who was living in Missouri. A French guy bought it and brought it back to France and keeps it just 2 years and decided to sell it because he has too many cars. It means I am the third owner of the car.
I took a few pictures when I brought it back home. Old license plate ending 73.
Changing owner means changing license plate, this time ending by 38
Sorry guys for the quality of the pictures, but back in those days, I didnít have a digital camera and Iím not sure if it already exists.
I didnít think to take pictures of all the work done at this time and I regret it now.
Fortunately, I took a few and try to explain the little job done.
On the last pictures, I donít know if you saw it, but the front light was European, not the original sealed beam, I ordered them at D1. They had a really nice printed catalog and Internet wasnít part of my life like many of previous owners I guess, but it was fun to write and go to the post office to buy nice stamps for the USA!
Fortunately, some parts were available in a French Renault garage. I had to change the fuel accumulator a few days after being an owner. Spark & wire were changed too, to name a few parts.
I didnít think about taking picture at that timeÖ
I was younger and interested by new radio. I decided to take off the Craig to replace it with a more modern unit. Also, I have installed a rear camera because I thought it was cool to get a black & white monitor on the dashboard.
The new radio needs some power amplifier to play songs.
As an í83 model it doesnít have a clock on the dash, so replaced it by a thermometer at this time.
Like many people, I thought the car was too height for a sports car.
Old fashion way was to cut the spring to get it lower.
First time I made a mistake and cut too many spring so the front was too loo, and almost touch the groundÖ I had to ordered some new spring from D1 and cut it properly this time.
You can see the result below.
This was the first modification to the car. Time changed and improvement too.
For example, for the spring, it will be safer to change them for the set of Eibach which I already bought and changed the chock by the Spax.
Furthermore, the radio will be replaced by the original CraigÖ The camera and monitor will be removed too.
And then, time to digital pictures. (I have plenty of old silver pictures but it will take too much time to scan them all and beside they are only cruising pictures or stand still picture of the car)
So, when I had problem with my exhaust I asked how much it would cost for a brand new one, but with the shipping charge and custom tax it was very expensive. At that time even with a Swiss specialist it was expensive to buy it.
So, I asked someone to make his own exhaust in stainless to replace it. The price was almost equal to the original and will last forever. So, I decided to do it this way and the result was quite nice.
Iím sure you can find a better design nowadays but Iím happy with this one.
As a bonus, I bought for the car the new door lock module and the joe cool module
This was allowing me to see a few problems I didnít pay attention into the past.
A few wires were melted as some fuse.
So, it became urgent to repair all this until the car will burn itselfÖ
I bought a brand new fuse bow from Ed Uding.
The job was done in one day, I must say I am most confident now but have to check regularly to see what is happening here to avoid this.
After 19 years, it was time to change once again the fuel accumulator.
I spend 3 days to change it because I was unable to unbolt the screw, so painful. There is no room for your hands down there.
Fortunately, the car works fine now.