FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Convert Your A/C System to Use an Alternative Refrigerant

I'm carrying it in my cubby in case I ever encounter an R12 car that needs use of my R134 pressure gauge -- I'll screw it on long enough to use the gauge, then remove it.

Bill Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    We got it [temporarily] working by replacing it with another crappy [new] one from Autozone. When I got home I replaced it with a nice steel one from NAPA and everything was golden.
    Damn, I just got back from NAPA and Autozone. I went to NAPA first and they said they'd have to special order it (no stores in town carry it)! The guy suggested Autozone or O'reilly. Then I went to Autozone and saw the cheapo aluminum for like $13. I didn't buy it, I want the steel ones where else can I go? I don't have a Pep boys but I do have O'reilly, I'll try that I guess.

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    I'm carrying it in my cubby in case I ever encounter an R12 car that needs use of my R134 pressure gauge -- I'll screw it on long enough to use the gauge, then remove it.

Bill Robertson
    Bad recollection on my part.....

I just when to O'Reilly auto store, they had a few options for fittings but they all looked like they were aluminum. Where else can I go to find the steel fittings?

IMG_20160729_073826.jpg
    Last edited by spikeygg; 07-29-2016 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Speech to text corrections

These are the NAPA fittings you want:

NAPAFittings1.jpg NAPAFittings2.jpg

If my small town NAPA has them, they should be available nationwide.

Bill Robertson

Bill Robertson
    Awesome Bill, exactly what I needed. Thanks again!!

My VIN:    10309

The aluminum valve fitting will not break. You always have to be careful when connecting the gauge fitting to the valve because the line the valve is attached to is aluminum and weak, you are more likely to crack the line than the fitting. You always take out the original schraeder valve when topping it off with a conversion fitting otherwise it might bend the fitting underneath it and you won't be able to fill the system. Make sure you put in a can of green dye so you will be able to see a small leak should it occur.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrusn View Post
    You always take out the original schraeder valve when topping it off with a conversion fitting
    Negative on cheap aluminum ones. Hold one up to the light -- you can see right through it. They don't seal anything by themselves. What looks like a schrader valve is just a pin that flexes in a bent piece of metal. There is open space on either side of the metal piece.

Bill Robertson

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I picked up a nice working r12 machine for 100 bucks and another 100 bought me 18 cans of R12 replacement and a few cans of oil charge. I bought this over a year ago and haven't used it yet, but it's nice knowing I have it in case, especially with R-12 service being all but extinct these days.
    r12.jpgr121.jpgr122.jpgr123.jpg

Bill Robertson
    I went to NAPA and bought both 409901 and 409903 and brought them home. When I tried to thread them onto the high and low side ports I couldn't use them both. I found that the ports on my system are both 1/4", the blue topped one (409903) worked with both ports. 409901 is apparently 3/16" and was too small for my high side port. I went online and I tried manually searching for 409902 which happens to be the 1/4" version of 409901!

So I pull the schrader valves and just thread these onto the ports with some teflon tape? Is that the acceptable method for permanent installation of these fittings?

Thanks,
    -Greg

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast