FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Alternator Belt and A/C Compresser Belt

My VIN:    10452

Club(s):   (DOI)

Alternator Belt and A/C Compresser Belt

Does anyone have any simple instructions on how to replace both the Alternator belt and A/C Compressor belt?

My VIN:    4245

Club(s):   (DMA)

The AC belt has to come off first. You can loosen, but don't remove, the two bolts that hold the tension. Loosen the nut on the alternator tension arm, that should give you enough play. If not you might have to also give yourself a little extra play on the alternator bracket itself.

Do you or does anyone have a picture of these area's so I know where exactly to work? Also, should the battery be disconnected before doing this?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

The A/C drive belt/idler adjustment is covered on pp N:08:19-21 in the Workshop Manual.

As for photos, try photo #4 for the A/C compressor and #7 for the alternator in first post of this thread.
    LINK: http://dmctalk.org....Engine-bay-photos
    Fairly useless for your purpose but those are the general areas if you haven't found them already. Better photos would be of the front of the engine.

You don't have to disconnect the battery to renew the belts unless you decide to start prying on the alternator with any metal levers, in which case you should.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

I have checked the workshop manual. I can't find anything for the Alternator belt in terms of changing it. All I can find is they mention it a bunch of times to do various other jobs.

I am not sure my new A/C compressor belt will work because it has the same elliptical groove on the bottom as the alternator belt does. And my current A/C compressor belt is flat bottom with a tapered edges.

I still don't know which two bolts to remove by looking at the pictures. I see set's of two bolts in a few places and don't know which ones. Could you circle them in paint and repost them? I also, don't know how to find the bolt or nut that loosens the tension on the alternator belt. I am very capable of doing the job I just wish I could find detailed instructions for the non mechanic.

PM sent.

Self-correction to post #4.
    ALWAYS disconnect the car's battery when working on engine drive belts. An accidental start can hurt you there. If the car rolls and is in gear that's bad on your hands, too, so make sure it's in neutral/park and won't move before starting this job. After disconnecting the battery.

Sorry to have forgotten basic car repair safety here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    The A/C drive belt/idler adjustment is covered on pp N:08:19-21 in the Workshop Manual.

As for photos, try photo #4 for the A/C compressor and #7 for the alternator in first post of this thread.
    LINK: http://dmctalk.org....Engine-bay-photos
    Fairly useless for your purpose but those are the general areas if you haven't found them already. Better photos would be of the front of the engine.

You don't have to disconnect the battery to renew the belts unless you decide to start prying on the alternator with any metal levers, in which case you should.