FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I love the automatic

My VIN:    3519

I love the automatic

I know this is blasphemy, But having owned both I am almost loathe to say I love my automatic! It was a 'compromise' when purchasing this painted car, as the price was right. But after waking up and tuning the engine, then topping up the auto transmission, I am very pleased with the performance! Maybe it's because I am older now and the thought of romping on the clutch all day tires me out, but I am enjoying having the car do half the work!

Is anyone else pleasantly surprised with how much they enjoy their automatic D?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Other than living in a mountainous area forcing a lot of 4-3-4 shifts, I enjoy mine a lot! Manuals are fun and a bit more peppy. Autos are convenient and usually less trouble. Just depends on what you want to do and where.
    When I think about our 80's era 4x4 V6 Blazer being able to spank a D, the HP difference doesn't seem to matter anymore lol
    "Blasphemy" - Pffffft!

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

!!!

Always thought I would buy a manual DeLorean, ending up getting an automatic since it was close to me and the price was good. Been loving it ever since!!
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    4357

Cool Love my auto!!

If I was younger I would have picked a 5 speed, but with getting mine late I picked a auto and LOVE it, I'm past the age to need to show people I can handle a stick!!

My VIN:    2883

I'm the same. Originally I was adamant I had to have a 5 speed but an auto came up for sale that was such a nice car I went ahead and
    bought it anyway. I'm glad I did as the auto won me over. So much easier to drive in stop start traffic which I drive in alot of the time plus I think
    the GT character of the car suits the automatic. Just be nice if it had one more gear!
    Cheers,
    Andrew

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by AussieDMC View Post
    I'm the same. Originally I was adamant I had to have a 5 speed but an auto came up for sale that was such a nice car I went ahead and
    bought it anyway. I'm glad I did as the auto won me over. So much easier to drive in stop start traffic which I drive in alot of the time plus I think
    the GT character of the car suits the automatic. Just be nice if it had one more gear!
    The manual is definitely sportier and peppier but in parades, traffic, or hills the automatic is certainly much more pleasurable to drive. Since the Delorean is not a performance car I don't mind having an automatic. The manual does get slightly better gas mileage.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3519

Quote Originally Posted by AussieDMC View Post
    yes, i thought the same thing about the GT character of the car. good to hear that validated.

My VIN:    01955

I was in 2 minds when I was looking and bought mine due to the amount of work that was put in by the PO and Toby.

The Auto has grown on me and I find it a bit more relaxing to drive and I can spend more time keeping an eye on avoiding others wandering all over the road looking at the D. And I have driven the manual and did find this particular test car to have a lambo clutch (need like 50 kgs to engage) and a relatively long throw on the box. Wasn't pleasant to drive at all, a bit of a pain in the end. If it had a short shifter, like a MX-5/S2000, half the effort to engage the clutch then maybe a different story.

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by tom kish vin. 4357 View Post
    If I was younger I would have picked a 5 speed, but with getting mine late I picked a auto and LOVE it, I'm past the age to need to show people I can handle a stick!!
    You were handling 'the stick' just fine when I rode in your car with you - or was that Steve.... (yes, there were three of us in Tom Kish's car at DCS)

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The manual does get slightly better gas mileage.
    The best fuel economy numbers I've seen posted by auto guys is around 25mpg.

I've personally achieved 34.6 mpg with my manual car. That's nearly a 10 mpg difference - definitely more than just a slight difference, more like a substantially significant one IMHO anyway....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast