FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: How to line up the four wheel lug holes with the studs

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

How to line up the four wheel lug holes with the studs

Is it just me or is holding the heavy wheel while trying to line up its four holes with the studs a true b*tch? I find myseld fondling around in the dark with an ever increasing amount of back pain .... and then, all of sudden - usually when I'm about to run out of patience and curse words - it just pops on there.

Does anyone have a trick?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Start off with cursing to begin with (four letter words work best ;-).

I put two studs at the top, level. Doubles the odds and, once you get one, the rest are relatively easy...

My VIN:    3937

Agree with Ron about the top two being level.

If you know what kind of work you're doing on the wheels, you can choose to only jack it up high enough to gain clearance under the wheel to remove it. Then, when you go to put it back on, you don't really have to lift it very high. In fact, if you get it just so, you can shimmy slide it about into place in front of the bolts and then tip the top back to catch at least the lips of the bolts and THEN lift and push once you have it on.

You're right, they are heavy and awkward to sit there balancing it. I also tend to sit squatting sort of with my legs folded so it's not so hard on your back. You can kind of lift it with your legs in that position a little bit if you know what I mean.

If any of that fails, you could have it jacked up to a height just right to cart the wheel over and under while on a creeper. I've not tried that but it sounds like something that would work.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

I have never been a very big man and it was the genetics I received from my dad as he was a small guy to. He taught me a trick that I still use when trying to put on large tires (I have 35's on my H3T) and I have taught this to my girls as well.

1. (Like it was mentioned before) Get the axle as low to the ground as possible so you don't have to lift it very high.
    2. Put the tire up close AND have the holes lined up with the bolts so a straight up lift will get it there.
    3. Sit down facing the tire and position your feet on the ground on each side of the tire.
    4. Using a combination of your feet muscles to lift on the tire and your arms, you will be able to lift the tire at least 6 inches straight up.
    5. Align at least 1 bolt and slip it on and twist the tire (raising one foot or the other) to align the other holes to slide it all the way on.
    6. Put a lug nut on one of the upper bolts. Then put the rest.

Hope this helps.

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

I just sit with my legs outstretched and with the tire sitting on my thighs, near my knees. I use the legs to maneuver the tire into place leaving me 2 hands to line things up and tighten lugs.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I find putting the round peg in the round holes works well.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

it helps a lot to pop out the center cap before trying to remount. No tools required if the wheel is off the car, just push it out... improves visibility greatly.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by wrkey View Post
    I have never been a very big man and it was the genetics I received from my dad as he was a small guy to. He taught me a trick that I still use when trying to put on large tires (I have 35's on my H3T) and I have taught this to my girls as well.

1. (Like it was mentioned before) Get the axle as low to the ground as possible so you don't have to lift it very high.
    2. Put the tire up close AND have the holes lined up with the bolts so a straight up lift will get it there.
    3. Sit down facing the tire and position your feet on the ground on each side of the tire.
    4. Using a combination of your feet muscles to lift on the tire and your arms, you will be able to lift the tire at least 6 inches straight up.
    5. Align at least 1 bolt and slip it on and twist the tire (raising one foot or the other) to align the other holes to slide it all the way on.

Hope this helps.
    I do exactly the same thing and was trying to find a short but descriptive way to explain how to do it...you nailed it on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    I just sit with my legs outstretched and with the tire sitting on my thighs, near my knees. I use the legs to maneuver the tire into place leaving me 2 hands to line things up and tighten lugs.
    Kinda like this, Owen? "All in perfect harmony and life balance"
    Delorean yoga.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by wrkey View Post

Hope this helps.
    Yes, it does. Thanks!