FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My New DeLorean Restoration Project - VIN 3676

DeLorean Owner Since 2006

My VIN:    3676

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

My New DeLorean Restoration Project - VIN 3676

The rumors are true, I own another DeLorean and will be slowly restoring her.

Full details are available here:

http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.p...on-of-VIN-3676

Though, here are a few photos for the curious:

image.jpg

IMG_20140712_163047572_HDR.jpg

IMG_20140712_163146049.jpg

image3.jpg

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Does it have a flux capacitor?

My VIN:    1710

Wow, who knew multiple folks painted their DeLoreans purple? Will you be returning it to stainless?

That's got to be one of the most rotten DeLorean undercarriages I've ever seen- I assume you're going to be tracking down a frame donor?
    Louie Golden

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    Wow, who knew multiple folks painted their DeLoreans purple? Will you be returning it to stainless?

That's got to be one of the most rotten DeLorean undercarriages I've ever seen- I assume you're going to be tracking down a frame donor?
    I haven't decided on the exterior, yet. I may have to strip it, as the paint did not hold up well during the trip back from New York.

I actually bought a spare frame for it before I had even seen the car. It's from an automatic, but adapting it to the 5-speed assembly is not impossible.

IMG_20140710_113310456_HDR.jpg

My VIN:    05457

Congrats and welcome back to ownership! Glad the car ended up in someone's hands that will get it roadworthy again!
    David Proehl

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    Congrats and welcome back to ownership! Glad the car ended up in someone's hands that will get it roadworthy again!
    Thank you. It's not going to be easy, that's for sure. I can honestly say that I've never seen a worse car. It is going to take a LONG time to fix it as almost everything is rusty and corroded.

I hope that this will, in part, dispel that myth that you can't get a cheap DeLorean. In the interest of cost, it will be carbed and an alternative to the stock climate control and headlight switch.

My VIN:    3028

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    Thank you. It's not going to be easy, that's for sure. I can honestly say that I've never seen a worse car. It is going to take a LONG time to fix it as almost everything is rusty and corroded.

I hope that this will, in part, dispel that myth that you can't get a cheap DeLorean. In the interest of cost, it will be carbed and an alternative to the stock climate control and headlight switch.

I think it will be far from cheap once you are done. Good luck with it.
    Barry

My VIN:    6125

Congrats Chad! That looks like one hell of a project but it sounds like you're up for the challenge. It's incredible how much rust there is on the current frame...I think the frame crumple extension is more air than steel.

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyvonviggle View Post
    I think it will be far from cheap once you are done. Good luck with it.
    From what I understand, it is very complete - thus everything needed is there. Obviously, the body needs to be transferred onto the replacement frame, but other than that, it's simply a matter of how nice will Chad want everything to be when he's done and how much of his time is he willing to invest in the car.

Andrew L recently bought a parts car from Texas with a seized engine, and after about a month of religiously working on it every night, and about $1,000 in parts expenditures and specialized repairs, he's just about ready to start driving the car on the road - he even has the A/C fully operable.

It all depends on how much work/effort/time you're willing to commit to a project and how nice you want everything to be in the end. But it NEVER has to be expensive unless you choose to make it so by replacing parts that could have been rebuilt/refurbished with NOS parts, buying new or NOS parts instead of decent condition used parts, farming out the labor instead of doing the work yourself, insisting upon something instead of compromising to work within your stated budget, etc.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    ...it's simply a matter....
    Heh
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast