FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Used Fuel Distributor

My VIN:    10268

Club(s):   (DMCNE)

Used Fuel Distributor

Hello,
    I'm hoping I could find a reasonably priced fuel distributor on the forum here. I'm trying to re-awaken 10268 after the previous owner parked it for too long with fuel in it, but I'm trying to avoid the hefty price tag for a rebuilt one. So if anyone has an old used one that isn't gunked up I'd love to hear about it! (Or if anyone has any hints or tips on the best way to clean out mine I love to hear that too (I've been soaking it in sea-foam to try an loosen things up but it doesn't seem like it is doing much).

Thank you!!

My VIN:    3519

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5442 View Post
    Hello,
    I'm hoping I could find a reasonably priced fuel distributor on the forum here. I'm trying to re-awaken 10268 after the previous owner parked it for too long with fuel in it, but I'm trying to avoid the hefty price tag for a rebuilt one. So if anyone has an old used one that isn't gunked up I'd love to hear about it! (Or if anyone has any hints or tips on the best way to clean out mine I love to hear that too (I've been soaking it in sea-foam to try an loosen things up but it doesn't seem like it is doing much).

Thank you!!
    i got mine to loosen up with acetone and carb cleaner. parked 16 years and it runs like a champ

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

I got one clean by leaving it in a metal coffee can filled with mineral spirits for a week. I never tested it on the car because I was able to find a complete Peugeot 604 intake manifold and carb setup, but the pin moved freely. I don't think there was much if any gas in it to start with.

From other posts I've seen it seems like mineral spirits is the stuff to use. It will loosen up the sludge but it isn't so harsh that it causes damage.

I also have a gunked up one with a stuck pin that I have not yet tried to free up.

Andrew

I've been apprehensive about using solvent like acetone or mineral spirits because I read both ways; they could eat at rubber or not..... are there any rubber components or seals inside the unit that I would have to worry about deteriorating if I were to soak it in one of those solvents? I opted to soak in sea-foam because I felt it would be safer.

thanks

-mike

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I've been apprehensive about using solvent like acetone or mineral spirits because I read both ways; they could eat at rubber or not..... are there any rubber components or seals inside the unit that I would have to worry about deteriorating if I were to soak it in one of those solvents? I opted to soak in sea-foam because I felt it would be safer.

thanks

-mike
    YES there are rubber parts inside, and soaking it in aggressive solvents like acetone for any length of time will destroy it.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Hello,

Thank you!!
    Contact Bill (content2772 or something like that) on dmctoday.com. He just made a post wanting 50.00 for a barely used fuel distributor
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Contact Bill (content2772 or something like that) on dmctoday.com. He just made a post wanting 50.00 for a barely used fuel distributor
    I couldn't find it, did you happen to have a link? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    YES there are rubber parts inside, and soaking it in aggressive solvents like acetone for any length of time will destroy it.

What are your thoughts on mineral spirits; the same thing? thanks

My VIN:    3519

thanks

-mike
    dont let it soak, and just use enough to fill the area around the pin when the distributor is upside down. I worked it in there are got the pin moving inside of 40 minutes. Then i flushed it with carb cleaner and gas. The seals should be able to withstand short exposure to acetone or lacquer thinner.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I couldn't find it, did you happen to have a link? thanks
    http://dmctoday.com/showthread.php?4...9303#post19303

about halfway down.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast