FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: DMCH faulty part

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

DMCH faulty part

I purchased a few months ago along with other parts this manual transmission breather.
    The old one was black rubber while this replacement offered by DMCH is some other element in white color. I suppose white rubber. Can't tell anymore.

Now I finally got to mount my tranny and wanted to install this part. This new substance had hardened and broke into smaller pieces.
    Wasted

This is a very cheap part to buy and I am not making this about the lost value.
    I am more concerned about the part efficiency.

I know I would hate to have had this on my tranny and suddenly the tip ( which is sitting inside the tranny) break off and swim inside the oil.
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

My VIN:    03037

How shattering!

Not cool. I can't recall, I too received a small part that was pretty much in pieces (From TX). I know it was of some-type of poor grade plastic or some kinda-substance that was over the hill and should not of been sent out to the customer (Me). I do buy lotsa parts. Direct and in auctions. Bottom line; Where's the QA?
    ¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬
    2014 La Jolla Concours D'Elegance Volunteer
    1998 Online Gamer; Everquest, AOE, R6, WOW, SOF
    1981 DeLorean, Grey, Automatic, Flap, 12k preserved miles
    1960 Volkswagen Beetle
    1961 Cadillac Coupe DeVille - *Restoration in Progress*

My VIN:    00778 and Formerly 06770.

Have you seen their replacement glove box inserts? Wow. They must have had someone make a mold of an old one that was apparently completely different than what would fit in any of our cars. Not only does it not fit, you would have to modify it to make it kind of fit, and the guy who put on the black "flocking" (gives it that velvet look) did so with his eyes closed from across the room. Maybe he already cashed their check and didn't care. Not sure why Houston would pay for a batch of these and not reject them from the supplier. Wonder if the guy packing my order shook his head and would have liked to refuse to even send it??

I realize it's only a glove box liner, but at $94 and you can't even drop it in and go?? Come on Houston, Seriously??

I seem to remember trouble with one of Hervey's Steering Column Bushings as well. Put a little force behind it during installation and it shattered into about 38 tiny pieces. Contacted him and he refused to send a different one...made me buy another. Wow. That was a couple years ago, perhaps he has had them redone? IDK.... Oh well.

Customer is always right. Sorta....
    Last edited by GS450-Junkie; 08-18-2014 at 09:18 PM.

My VIN:    02075

Club(s):   (DMA)

I also purchased that transmission breather a year or so ago & mine too crumbled as I went to install it. Oh well, not like an itty bit of plastic in the transmission will do anything since it will be pulverized in the first hear it hits (especially how brittle it is). I thought about making my own little breather to work in that hole, but haven't done so (yet).

DMC-CA cams & custom Flowmaster muffler
    1/4 mile time - 16.792s @ 81.45MPH

Quote Originally Posted by jmettee View Post
    I also purchased that transmission breather a year or so ago & mine too crumbled as I went to install it. Oh well, not like an itty bit of plastic in the transmission will do anything since it will be pulverized in the first hear it hits (especially how brittle it is). I thought about making my own little breather to work in that hole, but haven't done so (yet).
    So what have you used to cover that transmission peep hole?
    I was thinking of tapping it with some black silicone and then puncture it.
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

IMHO there is no need for that part especially if you are not driving it in the rain much. Stay out of deep puddles.
    David Teitelbaum

I don't want to be part of the Human race Roman Legion's Avatar

My VIN:    VIN in progress.

Club(s):   (DCVA) (LVDG) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Here's my chance to legitimately say this...

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXAKOS View Post
    So what have you used to cover that transmission peep hole?
    I was thinking of tapping it with some black silicone and then puncture it.
    Leave it open. The trans has to breath. If you close it off you'll find a bunch of oil leaks you didn't know you had. Pressure will force oil out the seals. The hole is too small to let anything in of consequence. Once in a while you'll find one plugged by mud wasps.

That's the failure on the original as well, it turns in to goo and plugs the hole.

I have not ordered one for years, apparently they have gone bad in storage now.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Thank you Dave. Yes I was not going to completely shut it. More like find a method how to keep it breathing and minimize foreign substance input.