FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 3 DeLoreans coming to Auction

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    I would think it all depends on the buyer. Some buyers might not be as clued-up as a tenured owner and give considerable weight to the bad performance reputation a stock car has. Others might see red, preferring originality above all else. The longer I own my car, the more I appreciate a wide-variety of car variations in our community from the concours (like yours) to the engine swaps like Nick's LS1 and even some of the BTTF conversions. We have a lot of creativity to be proud of.

All that said, I have no clue about this particular turbo conversion.
    Yeah, personally, I think that David is wrong (as I stated over on the other thread). IMHO, most people shopping for a strong driver level car aren't going to be deterred by the presence of a turbo kit (some will be, perhaps in the 25% range, but a vast majority won't be). And 95% of those shopping for a DeLorean are people that actually want to be able to drive the car (as opposed to looking for a museum piece / trailer queen / etc). Thus, I honestly don't see the presence of a turbo kit as significantly reducing the pool of potential interested purchasers.

Like any other non-providence'd car, the value will largely be determined by condition/presentation of the car and the supply/demand present at the chosen venue of sale. Having three cars at the same auction may have generated more bidders being interested in the marque than having a single car there would have, but at the same time, the perceived supply is also greater amongst those interested bidders, thus acting to effectively hold values down. Where you're competing for the attention of the interested bidders, the last car to cross the block will have a slight advantage merely from its order in the auction, as some will perceive it to be their last chance to bid on a DeLorean.

As to whether the turbo will command a premium or not - I see it going both ways. To someone wanting a more powerful engine, yes, I think such a buyer would be inclined to offer a premium for the turbo (albeit nothing huge, but perhaps $1k-3k more than they'd be willing to give for the exact same thing sans the turbo, depending upon the system installed and its condition). Those that don't care about the turbo but aren't deterred by it probably won't be inclined to offer a premium for the turbo, unless there are other things about the car that they really like/want/desire, and playing ball with the seller is the only way for them to get it.

That said, other than the turbo, there's nothing really remarkable about the car, but there are a few goofy peculiarities, a few of them I previously pointed out. Thus any bid over the $18k that the second car from today commanded, I'm going to largely attribute to the presence of the turbo, just as I'll likewise count it against the presence of the turbo should the bidding on the car fail to reach the established $18k sales price of today's second car.

In any respect, it will be fun and interesting to watch
    Last edited by NightFlyer; 08-29-2014 at 04:18 PM.

Banned

I'm guessing that tomorrow's car will receive a maximum bid of $21,500.

What's your best guess - post 'em now

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post

I just wanted to add that's below what I personally believe to be the fair market value of this car.

My VIN:    03037

twenty-two-five. $22,500.00

i never thought that hot-dog cart would fetch so much! sheeesh!
    ¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬
    2014 La Jolla Concours D'Elegance Volunteer
    1998 Online Gamer; Everquest, AOE, R6, WOW, SOF
    1981 DeLorean, Grey, Automatic, Flap, 12k preserved miles
    1960 Volkswagen Beetle
    1961 Cadillac Coupe DeVille - *Restoration in Progress*

Banned

Anyone catch the bid on the third car?

True that.

Not less than a month ago though, the same auction house, only in California as opposed to Auburn, Indiana, sold a DeLorean for $55k (VIN 838, low mileage, concour original car, but the description stated that it did need attention with areas such as the doors, engine, etc):

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/event...tion&category=

For me VIN 838 looked very nice... They had an estimated price of $50k - $80k if I'm right.
    But now the result for the first two other Ds is a littlebit surpise.

My VIN:    5482

Anyone catch the bid on the third car?
    I was out of town and missed it. Auctions America has not posted the results yet.
    Jeff

So LOT 5046 was sold for $30.800

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3