FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cardboard build.

/[_][_]==DMC==[_][_]\ Freaky Beetle's Avatar

My VIN:    2812

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    That's pretty impressive.
    Thanks! It was for an event at my work. I think my build budget was less than $100 (including the smoke machines). I built a 1:18ish DeLorean out of cardboard as a kid as well. Funny how things come around again.
    Last edited by Freaky Beetle; 08-25-2014 at 11:43 PM.
    Jai Johnston1981 DMC-12 : 2812 : Black Interior : Automatic
    2012 Beetle Turbo
    1998 Widebody New Beetle
    1968 Beetle (Under Restoration)

My VIN:    3610

Cad file did not help

The cad file didn't have measurements for the exhaust fins. That's all I need. I have a lot of cardboard, but without the fun measurements I can't do anything.

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean3610 View Post
    The cad file didn't have measurements for the exhaust fins. That's all I need. I have a lot of cardboard, but without the fun measurements I can't do anything.
    I would propose to get a print of a movie screen shot of the rear fascia measure it with your d rear fascia and try to compare n figure out the dimensions.
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean3610 View Post
    Its drawn on a 1:1 scale. You can measure it / insert dimensons

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Here you go...

They should be 11x17 sheets at a scale of 3"= 1'-0"
    TM-D_2013-07-16-Layout1 (2).pdfTM-D_2013-07-16-Layout1.pdf
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    4534

Quote Originally Posted by Freaky Beetle View Post
    Here is my cardboard setup from many years ago. I just winged it for the most part.
    That is awesome. Very impressive.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

Just thought I'd post this since I'm getting "back in the swing of things" as it were.

I originally started with Egull's BTTF vents being made out of pizza boxes, as seen here:

Then, using 3x3 foot sheets of aluminum, I crafted two vents from that mock-up and have been driving around with them ever since. They've survived a steady 105 MPH without deforming, so needless to say they're quite sturdy! Here's how they looked when I was spotted on Instagram last week:

A couple relevant blog posts that show detail shots of how I managed to secure it to the louvers:
    http://vin559.com/?54
    http://vin559.com/?61

Tomorrow I'll be working on replacing the "star pattern" LED's with LED tubes bought from SuperBrightLED's to make it look better.

Neat fact: while a single piece of 2x1 foot aluminum doesn't cover the full top of the vent, it has two benefits: 1) it greatly improves aerodynamics by allowing the air to go straight through the vents (which is partially how it survived such high speeds), and 2) it sits ABOVE the rooflline, so rear visibility is entirely unobstructed. Here's a couple shots to show what I mean:

Note that the vertical portions are still visible, which is good since you can verify they're still there :P

One drawback to this though: if you intend on driving it all over the place with it installed (like I do), the louver struts need to be upgraded to stronger variants. They'll open, but I can feel it struggling the more I do it.

My VIN:    17082

Club(s):   (DOI)

Wow. No offense, but those are MASSIVE! I'm blown away that the downforce at 105MPH didn't destroy the louver. I'd also be a little worried the cops might see those as obstructing the brake/reverse lights.
    - Devon

83 Canadian Spec - Manual, Grey, Fixed Pulls, Flat Hood

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Yes those are a bit too tall. The angle is right though
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

Quote Originally Posted by LordFly View Post
    Wow. No offense, but those are MASSIVE!
    None taken -- that was by design

I'm blown away that the downforce at 105MPH didn't destroy the louver.
    Me too, although I will say that they shake like crazy side-to-side, particularly when you're next to a semi truck and get all the turbulence. Looking into an additional piece of aluminum to go flat across the rearmost louver (with the vents in it) to help with that, since it seems to be sliding there.

I'd also be a little worried the cops might see those as obstructing the brake/reverse lights.
    Me too, which is why I mounted additional lights in the different sections. Top row is brake lights, second-to-top has sequential turn signals, and the bottom row has reverse in the middle, and parking lights in the outer. Second-to-bottom row is empty since that's the row I see through. Mimics all the stock taillight functionality to avoid trouble with the law (and I've had a few cops tailing me from time to time to verify this, but never been pulled over in it yet)

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXAKOS View Post
    Yes those are a bit too tall. The angle is right though
    That's actually what I went off of, but it didn't look bold enough for my tastes, so I made them bigger. You can cut two of the side pieces out of one 3x3 foot piece of aluminum, but barely have any leftover.

Also, major, MAJOR note I totally forgot about: if you drive fast with them on, do yourself a massive favor and put some kind of cushion or weatherstipping or something on both the vents and the louvers. I managed to rub the paint off the louvers and the rear fascia, which Josh now has to repaint when I get around to it...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast