FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AC Fixed / engine power low w/ AC On

My VIN:    16811

AC Fixed / engine power low w/ AC On

Hi Guys,

I finally got my AC system 100% with a new compressor, thorough flush, vac and recharge. (Thanks NightFlyer and DaveDMCMW!) Noticed with the AC on, in first gear my car could barely make it up the slight step into my garage bay without it struggling. Turn the AC off and power seems fine again. It's almost like trying to start off in 3rd gear with the AC on. The fuel system has just been redone, completely clean, new Hervey style long neck pump, tuna can W/ new screen, new cap, plugs, wires, rotor and runs good, no idle hunt. Was sputtering a bit cold after sitting for a month while I'm doing my restoration but smoothed out after warming up. Again it only seems to be struggling with the AC running. I do have the charcoal canister removed due to my engine bay restoration, but have the vac ports plugged. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Flash66; 08-20-2014 at 12:36 PM.

Banned

My VIN:    1798

What transmission does your car have?

AC Fixed / engine power low w/ AC On

Manual 83 5spd

Banned

That's really weird.

Does it only happen when the engine is cold, or warm (regular running temp) as well? Also, where does your car idle at (RPM) both with the A/C on and off?

Can you try it with the A/C engaged, but the cabin blower/fan off (on 0), and see if you get the same results or something different?

I'll have to recheck the RPM off but noticed 900 with AC on. The engine was warm and noticed after running for a good hour charging the AC and adjusting the LPS. Drove the car from my house to my shop about 500' away and noticed the loss of power. Come to think of it, it was idling a bit rough but not hunting.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Flash66 View Post
    I'll have to recheck the RPM off but noticed 900 with AC on. The engine was warm and noticed after running for a good hour charging the AC and adjusting the LPS. Drove the car from my house to my shop about 500' away and noticed the loss of power. Come to think of it, it was idling a bit rough but not hunting.
    Check the idle again (A/C both off and on) and get back to us - a video would be great if you have that capability

My VIN:    03572

I would think the AC would only take a few HP when running. I would not think you could even notice it unless your comparing the power at idle speed.

Maybe it a low voltage issue.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Will do! I just remembered that while refurbishing my entire engine compartment I remember knocking the plastic cap off of the mixture screw and it went straight to another dimension. Lost forever. I'm wondering if that vacuum leak could be bad enough to cause such a power loss. Got to figure out a good replacement for this and try again! If no luck I'll post a video. Thanks for the support fellas!

Thanks Dave, that's another thing that crossed my mind. My batt is on its last leg and jumped it off to charge the AC. Plus I'm still running the ducey and my voltages are always around 12 at best. Never any higher.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Flash66 View Post
    Thanks Dave, that's another thing that crossed my mind. My batt is on its last leg and jumped it off to charge the AC. Plus I'm still running the ducey and my voltages are always around 12 at best. Never any higher.
    Electrical power issue was one of my guesses as well, but didn't want to mention anything until we had a better understanding of the symptoms here.

I'm still running the Ducey as well, and while under regular throttle, I'm usually pegged right at 13, sometimes a little more, and sometimes a little less. When in bumper-to-bumper slow moving traffic, such as I was during the Woodward Dream Cruise this last weekend, I usually sit around 11, sometimes a little more, and sometimes a little less, in which case I rev the engine a little just to get the alternator output voltage up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast