FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Radio resets if I hold both window switches down at same time...

Radio resets if I hold both window switches down at same time...

Ok so my radio will reset itself if I use the windows switches at the same time. Usually once the windows reach the top or the bottom at the same time. But sometimes it happens if I just use both window switches together. I'm avoiding it now. The radio has reset on its own as well. But I can pretty much force it to reset about 50 percent of the time with the window switches.

Its an aftermarket stereo.

Any ideas?

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Not sure exactly what is happening but when the motors hits the bottom or top of their travel they stall out. As true with any electrical motor, when the motor stalls it consumes the most amount of current it will consume. So stalling out both motors will suck up alot of current. This is what I know.

Now just pulling stuff out of thin air, lol:
    -funky radio wiring
    -bad alternator? Can't keep up to current demand and there is a moment where the car stalls, but not long enough to kill the engine?

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by papanoel View Post
    Ok so my radio will reset itself if I use the windows switches at the same time. Usually once the windows reach the top or the bottom at the same time. But sometimes it happens if I just use both window switches together. I'm avoiding it now. The radio has reset on its own as well. But I can pretty much force it to reset about 50 percent of the time with the window switches.

Its an aftermarket stereo.

Any ideas?
    You should not continue to hold the switches after the window stops. It is very hard on the window motors, switches, and lift mechanism. Lower quality radios don't have good voltage regulation and filtering so they can be very sensitive to high/low volts, spikes, and surges. Get a power capacitor on the power input to the radio and have your battery tested. You may need to run a heavier wire from the radio to a power source also.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    You should not continue to hold the switches after the window stops. It is very hard on the window motors, switches, and lift mechanism. Lower quality radios don't have good voltage regulation and filtering so they can be very sensitive to high/low volts, spikes, and surges. Get a power capacitor on the power input to the radio and have your battery tested. You may need to run a heavier wire from the radio to a power source also.
    New Battery 4 weeks old and 140 amp alternator for DMC MW
    Alpine stereo

I know you shouldn't keep pressing the window switches at the extremes but it happens as soon as it hits the extreme. which i kind of have to do to make sure the window is closed. I've stopped using both switches at same time. But the radio will still sometimes reset on its own even with one switch being used.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Not to hijack your thread, but along similar lines, my original dash clock resets when I turn the AC mode switch to AC. It's intermittent but more often than not. Like with your window switches I can only guess it's some kind of voltage spike that's causing it. Haven't had a chance to test the wiring yet.
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    Not to hijack your thread, but along similar lines, my original dash clock resets when I turn the AC mode switch to AC. It's intermittent but more often than not. Like with your window switches I can only guess it's some kind of voltage spike that's causing it. Haven't had a chance to test the wiring yet.
    No worries.

I just remembered it also happened at night with headlights on + a/c and shifting into reverse. About 50 percent of the time. But when it did happen the radio would be stuck in a reset loop. Back in neutral it would stop.

My VIN:    01955

When I bought new LED window switches, one of them always blew the radio fuse when I operated it. After speaking to Dave and Julee about it, I had the switch replaced and all was well again.

Maybe try and get another window switch to test and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by SIMid View Post
    When I bought new LED window switches, one of them always blew the radio fuse when I operated it. After speaking to Dave and Julee about it, I had the switch replaced and all was well again.

Maybe try and get another window switch to test and see what happens.
    The window switches have LEDs in them but they have been disabled.

My VIN:    01955

Quote Originally Posted by papanoel View Post
    The window switches have LEDs in them but they have been disabled.
    Have you got the old ones? Or one that still works? Worth swapping to test it.

Sounds to me like the radio isn't grounded properly (or adequately) or, the ground you are using is not adequately connected to the vehicle ground.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast