FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help! I have a trip to make tomorrow and my gauges aren't working!

Help! I have a trip to make tomorrow and my gauges aren't working!

So I've recently completed an interior refurb and have everything back together. But...

My volt meter, temp gauge, and left turn signal aren't working. I know this has something to do with the common connector on the back of the binnacle. I've checked and the connector is inserted correctly and the contacts have been adjusted to make sure a solid connection exists. I've also checked fuse 5 and it's good. I've introduced 12v to the gauges and they do function. Is there something else I may be missing here?

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Can't you just start at the connection and work backwards with a multimeter?

ohh, just saw the back together part. Well if you are sure it's in the cluster, that's not a bad job to remove.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    3937

Did you check the black connector on the left side as well as the big white one in the middle? The schematic says those three things you mentioned are all running off the black connector. When you see them all in a line from the backside, it could be the ground for those on that connector (pin #12, which is the one on the top at the far right in the photo showing the hole where that black connector would plug into). That same ground serves all of those items you mentioned. My bet is that either the little metal tab got folded up and isn't connected well, or the circuit itself got torn somehow and it happened somewhere along that ground before it gets to the connector.

IMG_3767.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My multimeter is on my desk at work, unfortunately.

I'm suspecting it's the circuit board. I adjusted the contacts on the connector and believe it's making solid contact. I'll need to make a trip to the office and pick up my meter to confirm lack of ground continuity in the board. Damn.

My VIN:    5628

In the for sale forum, there is a guy selling an instrument cluster back....says it works

My VIN:    5628

Still for sale....

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Help! I have a trip to make tomorrow and my gauges aren't working!

Deleted
    Last edited by DMC5180; 08-23-2014 at 06:36 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Update:

I changed the printed circuit board and still nothing. It has to be the ground wire.

Where does that ground wire lead?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeaboy1 View Post
    Update:

I changed the printed circuit board and still nothing. It has to be the ground wire.

Where does that ground wire lead?
    If you suspect a problem with the ground just run a temporary wire to a known, good ground and see if that helps.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast