FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Storage Compartment Door with 8" sub built in

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Storage Compartment Door with 8" sub built in

I've been thinking about doing this for years and just never got around to it. I apologize if it's already been done but I've personally never seen or heard of it.

Anyway here it is! It's a new driver side storage compartment door with an 8" subwoofer built into it. I know sub boxes are designed with certain spaces in mind but far as I can tell this thing works great! No rattling, crackling, and the 8" provides more than enough bass for the tiny space. Plus there's still plenty of room behind the sub to store things (non ferrous things at least)

In the past I installed an amp for a 12" I had sitting on the parcel shelf but it took up way to much room and was either the sub or the flux capacitor (not to mention WAY too much bass for the car). Obviously the flux capacitor won. I still had the amp installed so I decided tonight I was going to try to build my door with an 8" bazooka tube sub I had.

Dont mind the color, it WILL be changed. The fabric was stripped from the bazooka tube that the speaker came from both so that I knew the piece would fit with fabric, and so that I can use it now . (plus free trumps aesthetics) I'm going to shop around for a more appropriate color.

Shown below is the build process and final product:

1/2 inch particle board to start

Piece cut out with 2 aluminum tabs

Holes cut, tabs bolted on

Component fit up

Fabric glued on

Fabric fitted around holes

Components installed

Next to the original door (there's actually enough room to put the lock on the new door if I want to make it more permanent.

Here you can see the back side

Here is the finished product installed in the car. (Again dont mind the color, I'll shop around for a better fabric in the future)
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 08-03-2011 at 04:23 AM.

My VIN:    06357

Interesting !!!

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

That looks really cool! I bet you could make a few more of these and sell them...
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

How much do you want for one?

My VIN:    3639 (Sept 81-April 12, RIP), 1805

Club(s):   (DMA)

Seeing this, I should be able to fit my 10" in mine.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

DMC does this to their refurbed cars with the optional sound system, only the box is completely enclosed(no port) and slides into the opening. Mine uses a 8" sub and the system is driven from a Genesis Profile 5 amplifier hidden behind the rear deck.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by ydjk58 View Post
    Seeing this, I should be able to fit my 10" in mine.
    Yea I wondered about a 10". I had three 8" and two 12" subs lying around so I couldn't really test a 10. The 12 would have been REALLY close, but I had a 12 in the car once before and it was just WAY too much bass for me. I'm sure a 10 would fit but I doubt either the wireports or the breather hole would be able the go on the door, not that they coulnd't be put somewhere else. My 12" double sub box doesn't even have breather holes.

For the 8" sub to fit I had to cut about a 6" hole so I assume for a 10" sub you would need about an 8" hole. For the 12" I guess you would need a 10" hole but the door itself is just about 12"x12" already so it'd be pretty darn close.

Either way I'm certainly satisfied with it

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I don't think a 10" sub would work very well in that space.

Did you fill it up with fiberfill? I hear that makes subs in small spaces feel happier.

--buddy

Quote Originally Posted by nullset View Post
    I don't think a 10" sub would work very well in that space.

Did you fill it up with fiberfill? I hear that makes subs in small spaces feel happier.

--buddy
    I did not. Should I? I still have the original foam and carpet inside the compartment. I'm too familiar with the science of subwoofer design and location. Still far as I can tell it sounds great. DEFINITELY a welcome upgrade from the lack of bass coming from the 4x10s.

My VIN:    4266, Previously 11056

I think this is an awesome mod! It looks sleek and stylish and even with the light gray material, still works. I'll just have to take your word for it that the bass is good where there is no audio clips! =D great job!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast