FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Storage Compartment Door with 8" sub built in

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

What Model number Subwoofer and Amp are you using?

The search function failed me. (Or, I didn't know the Right question to begin with)...

Anyroad, I love the idea of adding an 8" sub to the storage compartment and running it through a single channel Sub amp.

(Class D best)?

My question is, Which model numbers on one, (or both), are you all using?

My new radio only has outputs for 4 channels so, I'll have to research again how to add an amp for the sub.

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Quote Originally Posted by kings1527 View Post
    Awesome finishing touch, Owen. Where can I get one of those?
    Alex
    Mine came with the JL sub woofer when I bought it ~2007 time frame. Great sounding speaker, but just last year I had to replace the rolled foam edge since it had disintegrated. Not hard to do, just a butyl rubber glue on kit I bought online. Worked great and sounds as good as new. I don't have my amp in the cubby, it's an Alpine that's mounted on my back wall.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    12306 xxxxxx RHD Twin Turbo

Club(s):  

Inspired by this thread, I will be attempting to fit an Audiobahn AW1004J into the cubbyhole door;

low profile driver so some airspace behind, but should probably try and squeeze a port or two in as well.

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    Mine came with the JL sub woofer when I bought it ~2007 time frame. Great sounding speaker, but just last year I had to replace the rolled foam edge since it had disintegrated. Not hard to do, just a butyl rubber glue on kit I bought online. Worked great and sounds as good as new. I don't have my amp in the cubby, it's an Alpine that's mounted on my back wall.
    Gotcha. I'm going to end up probably doing the same as you with the amp; hidden behind the back wall. But I'm probably not going to go with the Retrosound Model One head. It's just not a going to be a good fit with what I want to do with my speakers, sub, and amp.

I'm guessing the grill came with your sub? That's a nice finishing touch compared to leaving it bare, like how you get it from DMC CA.

Alex

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by Starglider View Post
    Inspired by this thread, I will be attempting to fit an Audiobahn AW1004J into the cubbyhole door;

low profile driver so some airspace behind, but should probably try and squeeze a port or two in as well.
    I love the look and the low profile, but 10"? Wow...that's going to be a big boom in that car! I wish they made an 8". I think I'm still going to go with the JL.

Now I'm searching for the perfect high-performance head unit that still has a retro or basic look to it. No bright LCD screen showing video or anything like that; just high performance that has iPod/iPhone connectivity and doesn't stand out too much.

Alex

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by kings1527 View Post
    Gotcha. I'm going to end up probably doing the same as you with the amp; hidden behind the back wall. But I'm probably not going to go with the Retrosound Model One head. It's just not a going to be a good fit with what I want to do with my speakers, sub, and amp.

I'm guessing the grill came with your sub? That's a nice finishing touch compared to leaving it bare, like how you get it from DMC CA.

Alex
    Try this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Inch-Unive...item2576c3bd13

That would look sweet!!!!!!!

My VIN:    10084

the model numbers for the sub-amp

http://www.jlaudio.com/xd300-1-car-a...plifiers-98266

and for the alpine

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ktp-445u/

I've got 10+ hrs on this setup and the more I listen to it the more I like it. The 8" sub packs a good punch, and talking with Danny from DMCCa he says they're installing 8" subs almost exclusively as the 10" can be overwhelming for the cabin. I might consider going with a JL 4-channel amp for the speakers if I make any changes in the future, but the wattage is adequate for my listening levels, which are pretty loud.
    Michael Todd
    St. Louis

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by cybercusp View Post
    the model numbers for the sub-amp

http://www.jlaudio.com/xd300-1-car-a...plifiers-98266

and for the alpine

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ktp-445u/

I've got 10+ hrs on this setup and the more I listen to it the more I like it. The 8" sub packs a good punch, and talking with Danny from DMCCa he says they're installing 8" subs almost exclusively as the 10" can be overwhelming for the cabin. I might consider going with a JL 4-channel amp for the speakers if I make any changes in the future, but the wattage is adequate for my listening levels, which are pretty loud.
    Michael - any input to my theory that you should be able to screw the JL XD300 to the back of the DMC-CA sub box and still have it all fit inside the cubby? If I'm remembering correctly you're the first one on here to be using both of those parts.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    10084

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Michael - any input to my theory that you should be able to screw the JL XD300 to the back of the DMC-CA sub box and still have it all fit inside the cubby? If I'm remembering correctly you're the first one on here to be using both of those parts.
    I think it would be too tight a fit. From what I could tell the K-jet control would require the amp to be placed forward of it, which will then bump it into the back of the sub. The battery compartment install was a better bet once I had the amp in hand and physically trial fit it into both compartments. I'm running the Optima yellowtop so I felt better about having a sealed battery near the amp otherwise I would have felt more nervous about battery acid spillage/fumes damaging the amp. I've checked several times and so far the amp seems happy in there, not that it's smiling and waving at me every time i look. This is a killer sound set up though. I find myself just listening to music even when I'm not in the mood just because it sounds so damn good.
    Michael Todd
    St. Louis

My VIN:    05141

To Nick,

I see you have a radio with a 7 inch fold out screen.
    3 questions for you...

1- Does the screen open completely, or is the edge above the airvents in its way?
    2- Is the screen not too bright (the car is pretty dark inside) driving at night? can you dim the screen?
    3- Are the airvents still able to blow when the screen is open? I see there is a small gap. I can immage either extreme temp is not good for the screen.

Thanks,
    Jan

Steering with power

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast