FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Storage Compartment Door with 8" sub built in

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by ydjk58 View Post
    My ten inch sub will have plenty of room in that little space. It's a dual voice coil model, and its shallow mount, made for installation behind the seats in a pickup truck
    DEFINITELY post pictures! Depending on how it turns out, I may make another one of these for a 10" sub. The only reason I started with the 8" was because I already had an 8" lying around.

My VIN:    16655

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    DEFINITELY post pictures! Depending on how it turns out, I may make another one of these for a 10" sub. The only reason I started with the 8" was because I already had an 8" lying around.
    I'm quite interested in how the 10" works out as well- I have a dual-voice 10" Kicker in a truck sub box on my package shelf at the moment and would LOVE to be able to get that space back to actually, you know, put packages. :P

My VIN:    3997

So do you have an Amplifier with the 8" sub? I am just oblivious when it comes to speakers. Or can I just tap it into the existing speaker wire for the rear speakers?
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

You'd want a separate amp, and a head unit (radio) with a subwoofer out and a switched power wire to turn the amp on and off.

It's technically possible to build or perhaps buy a black box that would take the signal to the rears and tap off it and transform it into a line level input for an amp, and to tap off the antenna wire for the amp power signal, but its not the most practical way of doing things.

I flirted with this idea a few years back and actually built this with a 10" sub:

IMAG0118.jpg

but never installed it because the amp I had turned out to be dead. In the meantime I have installed new infinity speakers that sound great, and have enough bass for my tastes (I'm happy if the low end is heard by the occupants, but not felt outside the car).

See this thread for more info on those speakers, as well as the mounting hardware you need to get to use them with an original dash... http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?57...es-of-speakers

My VIN:    7176

Club(s):   (DCH)

Here's my install. 10" square sub and a mini amp next to it. Doesn't affect the ability of the seat to go back. Sounds great...

Sub just needed a small wooden edge on the LHS and bottom edge to fit the hole. I have carpeted this edge - you can just see it between the amp and the sub.

http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/for...bwoofer#p33777
    | DCUK 027 | VIN 7176 | London, UK |

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan King View Post
    So do you have an Amplifier with the 8" sub? I am just oblivious when it comes to speakers. Or can I just tap it into the existing speaker wire for the rear speakers?
    Hey Ryan,

This is what I was going to do.

You can run your rear L & R to the amp, which will have speaker L & R and Sub output as a "through put" which means the cross over in the amp will split signal between the sub and speakers.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    3997

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Hey Ryan,

This is what I was going to do.

You can run your rear L & R to the amp, which will have speaker L & R and Sub output as a "through put" which means the cross over in the amp will split signal between the sub and speakers.
    Im just trying to make sure I understand you right...have the wires come off the radio, to the sub, then off to the rear speakers?
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan King View Post
    Im just trying to make sure I understand you right...have the wires come off the radio, to the sub, then off to the rear speakers?
    I think it depends on how many channels you have on your amp.

If it's one channel, you'd need to do this.

This will sum your stereo feeds (both pos and neg) down to mono for use with a mono sub amp.

If it's 2 or 3 channel, you can use the amp's inputs and outputs to drive the rears an sub (I think).

EDIT - Just to clarify, the 470 ohm resistors go on the tip (pos or black with white stripe from BOTH sides on the rears) and the 10K goes on the NEG (black) from both rears.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by sdg3205; 08-11-2011 at 03:01 PM.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I have an Alpine amp on my parcel shelf personally. With my current head unit, there are output wires for a subwoofer that run from the head unit to the amp. Then the amp has 2 wires that run to the subwoofer itself.

The previous vehicle I had the amp and subs in was a 98 mustang. In that car, I split off the signal to the rear speakers so that it went both to the rear speakers and to the amp. Then wires went from the amp to the sub.

Obviously the setup does depend on how many channels/inputs/outputs the amp in question has.

And an amp with 2 channels of through put will not affect your rear L and R, only use the signal to sum to mono for the sub, which IS driven by the amp.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast