FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Fan switch dial

My VIN:    16375

Fan switch dial

The dial for my fan setting switch has fallen off. If I just put it back in the hole, it just falls back out. It doesn't grab anything and just turns round and round. What happened? I just noticed it sitting on the console. It happened over night, I think.
    Everytime I open the garage door, my car costs me a roll of toonies.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

By dial for fan speed you mean the fan speed selector knob?

Two categories of root cause:

1. The knob is not reaching the hex shaft anymore. That can happen if the fan speed switch came loose and moved backward into the panel or it can happen if the A/C faceplate came loose and moved away from the panel, popping the knob off.
    2. The knob is rounded off somehow, not able to turn the shaft even though it is reaching to the shaft.

Tests: Pull off the other 2 A/C knobs, remove the A/C faceplate, check the condition and placement of the fan speed switch. Inspect the back of the fan speed knob and try using the knob on the switch with the faceplate off.

Then repair/replace whatever you find.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    03572

It must be common for that switch to fall out of the panel. Someone had epoxied mine onto the metal panel.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    It must be common for that switch to fall out of the panel. Someone had epoxied mine onto the metal panel.
    Of the three switches the Fan speed is the loosest with virtually no friction to hold it on. I would be tempted to apply some flexible non-hardening adhesive to the shaft before installing the knob. Even a little RTV would do the job and still be pliable for removal
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Of the three switches the Fan speed is the loosest with virtually no friction to hold it on. I would be tempted to apply some flexible non-hardening adhesive to the shaft before installing the knob. Even a little RTV would do the job and still be pliable for removal
    +1

I use RTV for many parts that need to be glued. Used it for my fan switch and for the radio bracket. It's important to use a good RTV like permatex and not keep old open tubes of it for long. With a new tube the RTV hardens overnight and provides a very good bond. RTV uses moisture in the air to harden. Optimum is 50% humidity.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    16375

Easy fix. I took a look at the dial and pulled on the shaft. It sticks into the dial over half an inch. I just pulled it out a 1/4 inch, and now it catches the control end just fine.
    Everytime I open the garage door, my car costs me a roll of toonies.