FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: I hate insurance companies, a question

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I have been unfortunate enough to have been in several mutli-car pileups. In every case the last guy in paid. Yes, the insurance companies DO get together and settle up because many times the same company may be insuring several of the cars involved. When the Police get to the scene it is difficult to ascertain where first contact was made so the default is to blame the last car. We can all agree that it doesn't always happen that way. With all of the red light cameras now it usually IS the last car even though cars are stopping quickly and some may be tailgating. In this instance it does appear the last car was at fault. Typically the fewer cars involved the easier it is figure it out. In any case the sad truth is you are out of a car and it is going to cost you a LOT more than you will be paid to replace it. Insurance companies look at this in a very dollars and cents way with no regard to anyone's feelings or how long or how much you loved your car.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    4534

I admit, I am tearing up. USAA is letting me keep the car without a salvage title and they're sending me a check. Plus I found two cars yesterday in the up pull it yard with most of the parts I need and they were the same metallic blue so I don't have to repaint right away. I'm feeling very blessed.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Z View Post
    I admit, I am tearing up. USAA is letting me keep the car without a salvage title and they're sending me a check. Plus I found two cars yesterday in the up pull it yard with most of the parts I need and they were the same metallic blue so I don't have to repaint right away. I'm feeling very blessed.
    Sounds like you were able to negotiate a pretty good deal. Congratulations. Hopefully there is not much hidden damage.Would it be cheaper to buy the whole parts car or just the parts you need?
    David Teitelbaum

I just bought almost everything I need for the rear. Trunk lid, taillights, bumper cover and bracing, misc little bits, and rear wiring harnesses. The total was about 200 dollars. I still need to get the inner trunk panel. I'm not sure I want to cut one out of the junk yard or get a new part from a GM dealer. It's available from one locally.

I think it's going to be cheaper to just get the parts I need and not an entire car. I enjoyed myself in the junk yard. That's the first time I've gone to one. Usually the cars I work on don't end up in the local yards. The hood may be the hardest part to find. Seems like people like running this car into things. I might have to buy one online but now that I have some money from the insurance it won't be so bad.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981

My VIN:    First 700

Looks like there is a blue-grey hood for $100 at Bobby's auto parts in Vance AL...not all that close to you I guess.

I used www.car-part.com

Hood
    Chevy Monte Carlo GREY-BLUE 299926 $100 Bobby's Auto Parts USA-AL(Vance) E-mail 205-477-0901 / 205-477-0902

Thanks for looking but a 2004 is the sixth generation and a 99 is a fifth. Incompatible body styles.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3