FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Man what did I buy!

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

A frame was for sale recently on eBay, but i don't know if its still available at this time.
    A stainless frame will be nice.

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Quote Originally Posted by Domi View Post
    A frame was for sale recently on eBay, but i don't know if its still available at this time.
    A stainless frame will be nice.
    Not very confident on those stainless frames. A nice Delo gig but it's not as durable as steel. After all, the original one lasted for 30 years on them.
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

My VIN:    06201

Something will show up, the shipping will be the biggest problem I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Slammer View Post
    Something will show up, the shipping will be the biggest problem I think.
    Nah shipping is easy... Paying for it sucks
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

My VIN:    3937

Sorry to hear about your disappointing car delivery.

$16,000 is an expensive lesson. Not the end of the world, but expensive and not one you'll forget very soon.

May I ask if you had seen these photos you posted here at the time you were planning on buying it? If so, what were your expectations? Those photos don't leave much to the imagination if you had seen them and wondered what condition the car was in. If you hadn't seen photos and thought you were getting something very different, to me this seems like something you might consider looking into legally as that car doesn't fit too many DeLorean descriptions except parts car or non-running large project. If you bought it from an advertisement with comments about it running, or in great shape, or clean or whatever, I'd say you need to speak to a lawyer for assistance. That's what I would do if I was in your shoes.

Best of luck. Keep asking your questions here as you have them as the guys here will be honest, even if the news is hard for you to hear. Don't feel bad if this didn't work for you as throwing good money after bad is worse if you continue hoping to right a wrong. From what I see in the market, you could put that entire purchase off to the side, buy a running car elsewhere, import it to Norway and still come out ahead then potentially restoring that vehicle. I can understand your import costs can be high, but fixing a project car that far gone with that many things missing can be very costly and disheartening. Don't feel ashamed if a mistake was made, just learn from it and move on.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Actually if you can weld, the frame is the least of your problems. Pieces of 16 gauges mild steel should be available locally. With patience, a hammer, snips, grinder and a welder all it takes is time. Getting the missing parts can be a long, costly process. One way to approach this is to make a list of the missing and damaged parts, put an estimate of what it will cost to acquire them, and then decide if this is a project or a parts car.
    David Teitelbaum

[QUOTE=David T;155334]Actually if you can weld, the frame is the least of your problems. /QUOTE]
    David, have you seen the images?
    Unfortunately this frame is through at joints and places that welding can not save it.
    And as soon as Geir gets it out of that body he will realize that it's worse that it seemed.

I had minor welding issues and it took me so much time and effort that I was close to consider a frame exchange.

Man... Looks really like a lot of work! But you'ill find here great restoration threads
    to support and hold up the motivation... Good luck!

My VIN:    #15768 EX #4584

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

I would suggest getting in touch with Stian in Norway and trying to purchase one of his parts cars to try to make one good one from the two. Thats probably on of the worst frames I have ever seen, (and that is what you can see) not including all the other bits that are missing.
    Chris
    Chris Williams #15768 Back on the road after 14 years. Ex#4584
    Worldwide DeLorean Owners Club: www.deloreans.co.uk Full colour DeLorean magazine shipped worldwide.
    DeLorean Essential Buyers Guide: http://deloreans.co.uk/product/delor...-buyers-guide/

My VIN:    12306 xxxxxx RHD Twin Turbo

Club(s):  

That frame looks like a write off and the cost to fix the stainless panels will be really high. The interior and fibreglass are not so hard to fix but still a lot of work. It will be a long restoration project.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast