FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: left front door hinge

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    For all of the work you should be able to find one less expensive from a parts car. Very unusual for a hinge to break. Something weird must have happened to it. Was the door ever replaced? Maybe the car was in an accident or it was driven into a garage with the door open.
    My left front hinge broke shortly after I bought the car new in 1981. I've seen several left front hinges broken over the 32 years I owned the car. No idea why but it was always the left front

Bruce Benson

My VIN:    7075

So we made two new hinges. On the picture, he left one is the fixed original, and the two other, we made. It seems very good, soon I will put one new into the car.
    Attached Images

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Sidaries View Post
    So we made two new hinges. On the picture, he left one is the fixed original, and the two other, we made. It seems very good, soon I will put one new into the car.
    Very nice! The new one looks much beefier around where the torsion bar inserts. Well done!
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    7075

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    Very nice! The new one looks much beefier around where the torsion bar inserts. Well done!
    Yes. It is stronger there. This was an important request to be done.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

I had the exact same crack last winter. A friend was able to straighten it, weld it and build it up a bit to make it stronger. Works like a charm so far.

I suspect the reason the part is out of stock is that its a more common problem than anyone may have caught on to. Certainly the drivers door cycles more often than the passenger one, but there may be subtle differences in the original castings too.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    I had the exact same crack last winter. A friend was able to straighten it, weld it and build it up a bit to make it stronger. Works like a charm so far.

I suspect the reason the part is out of stock is that its a more common problem than anyone may have caught on to. Certainly the drivers door cycles more often than the passenger one, but there may be subtle differences in the original castings too.
    Where the torsion bar fits into the hinge is a pretty sloppy fit on the OEM hinges. So it may be the 6 sided bar puts more pressure on the casting than the 4 sided bar.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Metallurgically speaking, I’d say the main reason for failure is partly due too the sharp corner in the bottom of the milled slot. This creates a nasty stress riser which is a big no no for a highly stressed part like this. Those new parts have a nice radius too spread the load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4