FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: left front door hinge

My VIN:    16795

left front door hinge

My left front door hinge currently looks like this..

IMG_20140831_131309.jpg

It's my understanding that the part isn't available anywhere.

Does anyone know if a part made out of aluminum would be strong enough? I have a small CNC mill and could machine a new part from aluminum fairly easily. If not aluminum what material would be best?

Also, how would I separate the two hinge pieces? It looks like the hinge shaft is press in. Is the shaft just a single diameter or does it taper or have a cap or something on one end? If I were to try to press it out does the direction matter?

Thanks

- Jason

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The part may no longer be available NOS but if you look someone will have a good used one.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3997

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    My left front door hinge currently looks like this..

IMG_20140831_131309.jpg

It's my understanding that the part isn't available anywhere.

Does anyone know if a part made out of aluminum would be strong enough? I have a small CNC mill and could machine a new part from aluminum fairly easily. If not aluminum what material would be best?

Also, how would I separate the two hinge pieces? It looks like the hinge shaft is press in. Is the shaft just a single diameter or does it taper or have a cap or something on one end? If I were to try to press it out does the direction matter?

Thanks

- Jason

If I were you, I would find an experienced local metal shop to try and reinforce it/weld it back up for you.
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

If you think you can make a new one, I'd give it a shot. Thats pretty rough. I'm not sure I'd make it out of aluminum using the same dimensions. The original isn't the best metal to begin with, (pretty sure it's just cast steel), but thats likely a little stronger than aluminum would be. Can you machine something like ASTM A36 steel?

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I'm guessing a certain vendor will eventually figure a way to reproduce them in SS. But until then there should be a reasonable supply of cars being parted out to find one.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I've seen them successfully welded, (it is a steel casting) but a parts car part is your best bet. They are out there.

No real reason to do it in stainless, I think machining something of steel will be the ultimate solution if people stop parting out cars and more break.

At this point in time the need is very low so the supply (parts cars) and demand (stuff that breaks) is about in equilibrium.

----------------------------------------------

Actually I'm not sure it's steel as I've never seen one rust. Hard to believe it's a nickel alloy (typically not very strong) but that's what it looks like. It would be interesting to know for sure.
    Last edited by DMCMW Dave; 08-31-2014 at 09:53 PM.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    If you think you can make a new one, I'd give it a shot. Thats pretty rough. I'm not sure I'd make it out of aluminum using the same dimensions. The original isn't the best metal to begin with, (pretty sure it's just cast steel), but thats likely a little stronger than aluminum would be. Can you machine something like ASTM A36 steel?
    This is what I've come up with so far.

hinge.jpg

I added more material where there was clearance.

I could do A36 steel, but it would require a lot more work, and probably cost a lot more, as I never done steel before (other than small holes and slots), so I'd likely mess up the first couple of parts.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    I'm guessing a certain vendor will eventually figure a way to reproduce them in SS. But until then there should be a reasonable supply of cars being parted out to find one.
    I would not want this part to be made out of stainless. If you replace this this part with a SS replacement, and you don't replace the roof box with stainless, all you're doing is creating a nice electron conduit that will increase the corrosion rate of the roof box every time it rains. I know in my car, every time it rains, water ends up in the torsion bar area; if not from leakage, then just when opening the door. That's all you need for some nice galvanic corrosion. The hinges will last forever, because they have the roof box to act as an anode.

I would not want this part to be made out of stainless. If you replace this this part with a SS replacement, and you don't replace the roof box with stainless, all you're doing is creating a nice electron conduit that will increase the corrosion rate of the roof box every time it rains. I know in my car, every time it rains, water ends up in the torsion bar area; if not from leakage, then just when opening the door. That's all you need for some nice galvanic corrosion. The hinges will last forever, because they have the roof box to act as an anode.
    What about 7050 aluminum?

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Challenge accepted.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast