FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: left front door hinge

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Challenge accepted.
    Yea but roof boxes are the worst to replace, even if you're replacing it with stainless. Patrick C and I tried replacing one with Cliff Schmucker once without success. It was terrible to try to get it to fit right. If you do make them, the pieces almost need to be stamped with a die, instead of just made with breaks. They have to fit perfectly.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

At this point every car is different. The last batch we made had a little extra meat on the bone for fine tuning. It takes 40+ hours to fit one correctly start to finish.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    5628

can someone 3D print this thing in aluminum/Steel/SS? I saw Turbos being printed for cars on 3D printers, why can these?

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

left front door hinge

Or just contact James ( member eagle-co94) for a used spare
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

My VIN:    16795

Prototype in plastic to check the fit.

IMG_20140903_182221.jpgIMG_20140903_181500.jpgIMG_20140903_182121.jpg

I'm still not sure what material to use for the real one.

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    At this point every car is different. The last batch we made had a little extra meat on the bone for fine tuning. It takes 40+ hours to fit one correctly start to finish.
    That was our experience as well. However I guess we never put in the full 40+ hours because we never got Cliff's SS roof box installed.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I would not want this part to be made out of stainless. If you replace this this part with a SS replacement, and you don't replace the roof box with stainless, all you're doing is creating a nice electron conduit that will increase the corrosion rate of the roof box every time it rains. I know in my car, every time it rains, water ends up in the torsion bar area; if not from leakage, then just when opening the door. That's all you need for some nice galvanic corrosion. The hinges will last forever, because they have the roof box to act as an anode.
    This is a bit far fetched. What about the huge stainless steel door the hinges are attached to? This isn't causing corrosion issues with the hinges and roof box.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    This is a bit far fetched. What about the huge stainless steel door the hinges are attached to? This isn't causing corrosion issues with the hinges and roof box.
    Yes but the water flows down in the traugh, not up to the door. Not to mention, there are a lot of roof boxes out there that are rusting out on their own, let alone with stainless hinges bolted to them. I will say that truthfully, using stainless bolts would likely accelerate the corrosion much more than the hinges themselves. The roof box and hinges at least have the paint and coatings to insulate them, but the threads of the bolts are metal to metal.

EDIT: Course on that note, you probably wouldn't want to use stainless steel bolts just based on their strength. Not sure if the originals were 8.8 or 10.9 but either way, a stainless metric bolt is typically less strong than even an 8.8.
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 09-03-2014 at 09:20 PM.

My VIN:    16795

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Amazing work done, it's beautiful

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast