FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What do you know about your PO?

My VIN:    3472 (former), 1141

Club(s):   (RMDG) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I will have to nudge Kevin and get him to post here. I am the PO for his car. . . and I am also the PO for that car as well. I bought 3472 in `97, sold it in 2000 or so, bought it back and then sold it to Kevin.

Hard to cuss the PO for doing stupid things when that PO is you.

I got the car on consignment from DMC-Houston from a NY owner . . .never got any additional info on them

My current car 1141 is more interesting, I think, I have a lot of the original paperwork and receipts, and it was at one time owned by Hank Greer, former DOA president (if memory serves). Was funny seeing his name on some documents and remembering his posts from DMC-News.
    Michael Babb

My VIN:    5628

My PO

My PO is a friend of mine named Kevin. He and his wife are film makers and make family friendly films. He's is a BTTF fan and bought the car after their first film was sold into distribution. The needed start up capital for their third film so he asked if I'd like to buy. You can buy their films in Walmart. Their second film just came out not too long ago called "My Dog the Champion." http://www.walmart.com/ip/33490510

They are nice folks and he keeps tabs on the car.

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

My car was listed for sale on the .com forum, with a link to the ebay auction for it.

A quick search on the forum revealed the previous previous owner (81DMC-6720), and I contacted him to ask more details about the car, as he had done most of the work (with forum members Morpheus and Mike of DCF) on the car to put it in the condition it was in at the time.

I took a day off work and drove 4 hrs to Tampa with a friend to inspect the car, came to a deal with the owner, and he removed it from ebay.
    About 2 weeks later, after the banks finished the paperwork and stuff, I got a ride back to Tampa and drove it home

81DMC-6720 owned it from 4/05->3/07, then Precison25 from 3/07->9/09 when I bought it.
    It had originally gone to a dealer in NY, but I believe the PPO told me he got it from a guy in Michigan.
    Last edited by jackb; 09-07-2014 at 02:15 PM.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    2861

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

I purchased my car from the PO via a semi-local Craigslist ad. He was a very nice guy and loved the car very much, but due to health issues and a need for space he reluctantly needed to sell it. The story of how he purchased it was quite interesting. He was in the Army; stationed in Germany (this was 1990). He was a fan of the D and had always hoped for the opportunity to purchase one. While in Germany, he discovered that 2861 had been put up for sale at the US consulate. Apparently the owner had brought the car over from CA when he took a job there. Once his initial contract ran through, he made the decision to stay in Germany but not continue employment at the consulate. He was told that if he wished to keep the car he would have to pay all of the required taxes and fees on it, as he would no longer have the benefit of being exempt from that as a function of his job. He decided to let the car go; apparently it was a rather steep amount of money. Enter my PO. He had recently been deployed on what he explained was a risky mission, and told himself that if he made it back alive he would buy the car. He did, and he did! He had it over there for a while before his tour ended, then left Germany for Texas. The car came with him, and once back in the states he took it to DMCH (fresh from being renamed from D1) for an extensive amount of work. He had the car up until 2012 when he sold it to me. I got all of the receipts from everything that was done under his ownership, as well as all of the paperwork from Germany (which is kinda cool; all in German), and the transfer paperwork from its journey to the States. He also gave me some pictures of the car that he took while in Germany, as well as the plates that were on the car over there.

Previous to him is a bit more fuzzy. I am still trying to trace its history between the original purchaser and him. Luckily, 2861 is fortunate enough to be one of the cars that The Delorean Museum had original owner info on, which was an equestrian center in CA. I am guessing it was a company asset. I contacted them, and was told that "the owner of this facility did have a DeLorean at one time, but they have no information about it." Dead end. I contacted the original selling dealer, which not surprisingly has changed hands a time or two since then but is still around. I spoke with the general manager of the current facility, and he was nice enough to check for info for me, but came back empty. I suspect that my PO was the third owner, since the paperwork from Germany lists the name of the person that he bought it from and it didn't match the owner of the equestrian center; not to mention the whole job at the consulate thing. I don't know for sure though, he may have been associated with it for all I know. The car has a DOA sticker on it, but I don't know for sure if the owner(s) previous to him was a member. He gave me several DeLorean World magazines with the car, and they are all issues that came out during his tenure as owner, so I'm sure he was a member. I thought it might be worth checking with the DOA to see if they had any info in archives about 2861. Does anyone know if they have that sort of stuff?

Well, that's my story. Hopefully as time goes on I can discover more!
    Last edited by Mike F; 09-07-2014 at 10:31 PM.
    Mike

2861 - Aug '81, 5-speed, black interior, gas-flap.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    I thought it might be worth checking with the DOA to see if they had any info in archives about 2861. Does anyone know if they have that sort of stuff?
    They might have something if a PO was a previous member. John Truscott who has since passed away was the Membership Director, but I've no idea who has that information now. But they only have info on past members. Otherwise what data they have on all other cars is whatever they've read online about owners.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    4245

Club(s):   (DMA)

Not enough.

I bought mine from a business that only had it two years. They didn't do anything to it except run it once in a while and it was left outside during this time.

From the paperwork I found inside I can tell it used to have PA tags, TMETRVL, or something similar. Internet research reveals it was originally sold new in Texas, but more recently was in PA. I tried reaching out to the PO on Facebook but it does not seem that he gets on there too often.

I have found new metal relays with dated orange DMC 2008 stickers. Updated cooling system with DMCH radiator and an aluminum coolant tank. Suspension dated 2007. Someone at some time spent some money on it. Thanks to the PO everything works and I've already got new seat covers.

Even though some of your wiring was questionable, thanks PO, whoever you are.

TV Star. Maybe you've seen him on Pawn Stars

In a hilarious turn of events, even though Egull was in Las Vegas, he wound up moving to Ohio. A couple years later, I met my now-fiancee online, and she lives one town over from him! I looked for him in both parades I was in that have both towns involved, but didn't see him I often wonder what he would think if he saw how beautifully Egull came out -- would he be happy to see her enjoyed and still on the road, or would he be mad that I've customized her as much as I have? Wish I knew. Good news is that I do have his name, and it's rather unique, so I might be able to find him on Facebook or something

As far as what he does, he's a big rig semi-truck driver with two kids that wanted to get rid of Egull once his son turned old enough to start learning to drive. Didn't want to take the chance. He also turned down many offers from DMC FL (a.k.a. "Gulf Coast Motor Works", which they still use occasionally) to buy the car because he knew the historic documentation he had would be meaningless to them. That's why he gave it all to me, and I've digitized some of it, but at some point I've got to digitize the rest. Minus the E-Check and licensing documents, of course

So I've actually met him in person, even though I had the car shipped from halfway across the country. Great guy, and I would totally love to chat with him sometime if I ever got the chance.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    detailed ownership history
    fascinating story Mike.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    1710

DeLorean #1: (VIN 10115) I don't know much of it's history. I bought the car from a fellow DML member in 2001, Ben Boatright. He'd only owned the car 2-3 years before selling it. He was in the Atlanta area at the time, and I was in college in Charlotte.

I only had the car a couple of years before I was hit by a drunk driver, So I didn't have a whole lot of time to research it's history. Plus, this was long before the DMC Museum & other such tools were available to owners & enthusiasts. I do know it had the extra tag below the VIN plate in the door jamb that stated: "In compliance with radio interference," which probably narrows down where the car was sold new.

Last I heard, the car was in China Grove, NC and was being used as a parts vehicle for a fellow owner.

DeLorean #2: (VIN 5252) I actually know a LOT about this one. The car was bought new at Menlo Park Lincoln-Mercury, and spent nearly 2 decades registered on Castro Street in San Francisco. During it's time in California, I know it went down to DeLorean Motor Center (now DMC-California) at least once... I think it actually went twice. It's first owner was meticulous with records, and he used the car as a daily driver.

The car was then bought by a college student in Tennessee in the late '90s, and was driven from California to Tennessee & was used as his only car.

The car was sold within a year or two to Rob Starling of Winston-Salem, who used to be very active in the community. He really took the car to the next level during his ownership, and made it a rolling daily driver showpiece. I actually rode with Rob to events in the car when he owned it, and even rode around the Road Atlanta racetrack in the car with Rob during the 2001 SEDOC meet (I really miss those!).

Rob decided he wanted a Porsche, so he sold the DeLorean to a guy in Charlotte named Bob (I forget his last name... too many years of killing brain cells). He also used the car as his daily driver. He lived about a mile down the road from me, though I never knew him until he put the car up for sale. After hearing I had just lost my first DeLorean to a drunk driver, Bob insisted on lending me the car to go to the 2003 SEDOC meet I had been planning to take my first DeLorean to... this is without Bob knowing me at all. Pretty cool guy. I ended up buying the car from him a few weeks later when the insurance money came through.

I had 5252 for a few years, but ended up selling it because I just got burned out. I dedicated all my extra money & time from the age of 11 years old to saving for, then maintaining a DeLorean. By the time I'd owned & maintained 2 DeLoreans at the ripe old age of 23, I just needed a break.

Anyway, I sold 5252 to Pat Molamphy in Pinehurst, and he kept the car for 8 years. Pat insisted I come visit the car from time to time, and he let me take it on extended drives. When he was ready to sell the car last year, he offered to let me purchase the car at the same price I sold it to him. Classy guy.

I believe fellow DMC Talk member Uhair now owns 5252. Hopefully he's enjoying it- I know I miss the car every day, and I sold it 9 years ago! An interesting factoid about 5252: it was driven daily for the first 25 years of it's existence. 3, possibly 4, owners used it as their only car.
    Last edited by louielouie2000; 09-17-2014 at 01:12 PM.
    Louie Golden

2126---PO info

I found 2126 from an ebay ad in 2011---car was in Georgia, and had 15K miles---only problem, had not ran since 1990----21 years!The car was purchased new from Bill Hanna Ford in Shrevport, La,----only about 70 miles from where I live. I understand the original owner drove the car often, then died suddenly in 1990. The car still has the Louisiana inspection sticker on the windshield. The car sat in family storage till finally sold in an estate sale sometime later. The second owner, from Shrevport, soon moved to Georgia, and again stored the car. I bought the car sight unseen, and took several months to make it roadworthy---has been very dependable since----4000 miles since purchased. Perhaps I should not mention this here, but due to a recent sudden distributor problem, I had to remove intake, and while it was off, decided to build an intake /carb setup. Just completed last week---running very well now----I have temporarily boxed up all the K-Jet components----it will be no problem to return to original at some later time. I am a "Purist" for the most part on all my antiques/classics through the years, but just wanted to see how this car would perform with a carb setup.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3