FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fuel pump awesomeness! (Sarcasm)

My VIN:    5482

So what's the trick to getting the baffle/basket out of the tank. I was reading the instructions on the fuel pump removal and it said something about releasing a tab and the assembly comes apart in two... what am I missing here?
    Jeff

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Howdy Jeff,
    There is a little molded-in stud inside the tank that the innards of the tank components (baffle etc) are mounted to. Just undo the little nut and eveything will come loose. All parts can be gently compressed to fit through the hole to get them out of the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    Howdy Jeff,
    There is a little molded-in stud inside the tank that the innards of the tank components (baffle etc) are mounted to. Just undo the little nut and eveything will come loose. All parts can be gently compressed to fit through the hole to get them out of the tank.
    I already took the 10mm nut off the stud and the assembly is loose. It just felt like I was going to break something when I was trying to pull it out. The tank access hole is too small and the assembly too large (ship-in-a-bottle anyone?). I saw something about a tab to separate the assembly into 2 pieces but I haven't solved this puzzle yet.
    Jeff

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    I already took the 10mm nut off the stud and the assembly is loose. It just felt like I was going to break something when I was trying to pull it out. The tank access hole is too small and the assembly too large (ship-in-a-bottle anyone?). I saw something about a tab to separate the assembly into 2 pieces but I haven't solved this puzzle yet.
    You have to disassemble the baffle into it's parts so you can bend the parts to fit through the hole to get them out of the tank. The real fun is putting it all back together inside the tank with one hand by feel only! That is a big reason to go with the newer design. It plops right in. No muss, no fuss, no drama, really simple.
    David Teitelbaum

I started cleaning out the tank this weekend. It wasn't nearly as bad as I initially thought but still certainly in need of a good scrubbing. Here's a link to my repair blog: http://dmctx.blogspot.com/2014/09/cl...ents-part.html
    Jeff

My VIN:    1052

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    There is a little molded-in stud inside the tank that the innards of the tank components (baffle etc) are mounted to.
    Hello Delorean owners, what would you do if that molded-in stud separated from the bottom of the tank? I do not really want to have it melted back to the original place, because knowing the local `experts` it can only go wrong. Shall I just leave the baffle moving freely in the tank or is there a more modern solution to replace this whole antique fuel pick-up/baffle stuff? I see Specialtauto has an alternative solution but I also found negative comments about it.
    Last edited by Szabi; 03-29-2015 at 12:29 PM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Szabi View Post
    Hello Delorean owners, what would you do if that molded-in stud separated from the bottom of the tank? I do not really want to have it melted back to the original place, because knowing the local `experts` it can only go wrong. Shall I just leave the baffle moving freely in the tank or is there a more modern solution to replace this whole antique fuel pick-up/baffle stuff? I see Specialtauto has an alternative solution but I also found negative comments about it.
    You get that stud hot and melt it back into the bottom of the tank being careful not to make a hole. Or you can try epoxy but I doubt if you will have good results that way.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03572

I think the new DMCH fuel pump with sender has it's own baffle so would not need that stud.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    6631

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

The new DMCH and the new integrated SpecialTAuto units don't utilize external baffles at all. The fuel pickup (at least on SpecialT) is attached to the unit directly, and has a small mesh screen, not dissimilar from the original filter at the end of the pickup line. You don't use the old stud with the new units at all, as they are only secured from the top.

I've been running the SpecialT one for a few days now, and so far so good. Using the old baffle as a jaunty hat when I go out.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

The Hervey "tuna can" is easier to install but I still prefer the original setup to either of the aformentioned "New" designs. We only use the original style components in my shop but I am considering a new design by an American supplier. It's not on the front burner however.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by burch View Post
    The new DMCH and the new integrated SpecialTAuto units don't utilize external baffles at all. The fuel pickup (at least on SpecialT) is attached to the unit directly, and has a small mesh screen, not dissimilar from the original filter at the end of the pickup line. You don't use the old stud with the new units at all, as they are only secured from the top.

I've been running the SpecialT one for a few days now, and so far so good. Using the old baffle as a jaunty hat when I go out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast