FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: DeLorean car insurance

My VIN:    10201

I ended up with American Collectors insurance. $350 comprehensive only on a modified vehicle at $25k. Considering I probably won't be driving for another year, i'm not too concerned about driving limitations for now.

My VIN:    4328

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    Be careful with Grundy. The reason they are so cheap is because they expect your car to be inside of a locked garage 99% of the time, with only a handful of driving sessions per year. Ask me how I know

The “unlimited mileage” that some insurance companies claim is very deceiving, as it makes you think you could drive your car everyday. The truth is they expect your car to leave the garage only a couple of times per year. That’s how they keep their risk, and your fee, low.
    So tell me more, I wanna know what happened to you?

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I need to start looking, since Im getting close to being able to haul mine up to Toby for the mechanical work I cant do myself (suspension rebuild, etc..).
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by TheStoot View Post
    So tell me more, I wanna know what happened to you?
    Short version: I called to ask them about their “unlimited” mileage. I told them how often I drive my car, and that I occasionally do 100 mile drives just for fun. Basically, his response was: we don’t want to insure you.

Why?

Because Grundy expected my car to be in a locked garage for 350 days per year (slight exaggeration).

“What about unlimited mileage?” I asked.

“Sure, for the 15 days per year that your car is allowed out of the garage you can put as many miles on it as you want.” (paraphrased).

Now, before I get inundated with “well, they never check mileage, and they don’t watch your every move so they’d never know”, I’m not in the habit of breaking rules just because I think I can get away with it. If your conscience allows you to break rules, go for it.

My VIN:    10201

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    Short version: I called to ask them about their “unlimited” mileage. I told them how often I drive my car, and that I occasionally do 100 mile drives just for fun. Basically, his response was: we don’t want to insure you.

Why?

Because Grundy expected my car to be in a locked garage for 350 days per year (slight exaggeration).

“What about unlimited mileage?” I asked.

“Sure, for the 15 days per year that your car is allowed out of the garage you can put as many miles on it as you want.” (paraphrased).

Now, before I get inundated with “well, they never check mileage, and they don’t watch your every move so they’d never know”, I’m not in the habit of breaking rules just because I think I can get away with it. If your conscience allows you to break rules, go for it.
    Yep that seems to be my takeaway from collector car insurance. Lock it up in a vault and throw away the key, then theyre ok covering it.

My VIN:    10907

I got it in writing from a Hagerty rep that I'm allowed to drive it to work 50-60 days a year. I make sure to take a pic every day of which car I drove in the parking lot just in case I ever wreck it on the way to work and they try to weasel out of paying by saying I was daily driving it.

I also switched my CRX to Hagerty this year, got a policy that allows seasonal daily driving (5 months a year) with $5000 of coverage for half what I was paying with Geico.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue;260387[B
    ]I got it in writing from a Hagerty rep [/B]that I'm allowed to drive it to work 50-60 days a year. I make sure to take a pic every day of which car I drove in the parking lot just in case I ever wreck it on the way to work and they try to weasel out of paying by saying I was daily driving it.

I also switched my CRX to Hagerty this year, got a policy that allows seasonal daily driving (5 months a year) with $5000 of coverage for half what I was paying with Geico.
    I would read the policy carefully to see if you can hold Hagerty to what the rep says. Typically a policy states that the only things that are binding is what's in the policy. No side agreements and no third party representations. As for what Hagerty can offer in the State you live in, any rules are only good in that State so anyone in another State can't compare it to what you got in your State. It's like there are 50 different Hagerty's, each with it's own special deal.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10515

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    I got it in writing from a Hagerty rep that I'm allowed to drive it to work 50-60 days a year.
    Wow... that's crazy.

I pay Grundy under $300/yr with NO mileage limit, and a stated-value of $45k... it just cannot be my daily driver, or the backup to my daily driver.

www.DeLoreanDirectory.com/insurance

Grundy

I pay $195 for $25k coverage from Grundy. I drive it whenever I want as far as I want because their website states in writing unlimited mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC VIN 6639 View Post
    I pay $195 for $25k coverage from Grundy. I drive it whenever I want as far as I want because their website states in writing unlimited mileage.
    Even though their website states it you still need to make sure that it is in writing in "your policy".

What is verbally stated/said and what can be written in other than in your policy does not mean you are covered
    if it is not written in your policy.

Just my .02 and you know, CYA.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast