FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Things easy to replace when pulling out an engine

My VIN:    2681

Club(s):   (DMA)

Things easy to replace when pulling out an engine

Okay, so as the post states, I'm going to be pulling an engine out of my D, and transplanting another stock Delorean engine in it's place.

The engine I'm putting back into the car is in good shape and I'm not planning on taking it apart prior to re-installing it, so I'm not looking for tips on what to replace/refurb inside the engine itself. Only stuff that would be made inherently easier/recommended while an engine is out of the car.

Here is the list I have thought of so far:

1. Belts for the engine
    2. Exhaust manifold gaskets (Since the exhaust has to come off for the engine to get pulled)
    3. Read main seal
    4. Engine mounts.

Anything else I should add to that list? Thanks!

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I'd replace the water pump and hoses under the intake especially if you don't know how old they are or if it has sat for a long time. While it can be done with the engine in the car, it is easier when you have the engine accessible and you're not killing yourself leaning over the rear fascia.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    1983 canadian model

The slave clutch cylinder is just there in front, if needed to be changed. And/or the clutch itself.
    Also, if the engine compartment need a respray...
    Maybe changing the fuel line from the filter for a ss braided line.

I am not a professional mechanic, but just trying here to contribute somewhat

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I agree that exhaust manifold gaskets (especially on an engine stand) and the rear main (not on an engine stand) are the big ones. Everything else on the engine is pretty serviceable with the engine in the car.

Engine mounts are a good idea, they are actually easy with the engine in the car unless you happen to snap off a mounting stud or frame bolt, then things get ugly in a hurry.

I wouldn't even bother with the oil pan gasket - the originals NEVER leak, so all you'll do is cause leaks.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The slave clutch cylinder is just there in front, if needed to be changed. And/or the clutch itself.
    Also, if the engine compartment need a respray...
    Maybe changing the fuel line from the filter for a ss braided line.

I am not a professional mechanic, but just trying here to contribute somewhat
    all kinds of things

those you mentioned
    valve cover gaskets
    oil pan gasket
    heater core hoses
    fuel lines/filter

My VIN:    2681

Club(s):   (DMA)

Good discussion guys, thanks for the ideas.

The fuel lines and rubber hoses are all brand new, I replaced them 6 months ago when doing the water pump on the current engine in the car, which is at this point, being pulled due to some other reasons for a better/more reliable one. Don't ask why, it doesn't matter, and it's happening haha. I'll be swapping those fuel lines into the new engine

I'll take Dave's advice and leave the oil pan alone.

The water pump is already replaced on the engine going into the car as well a few years ago, so no need to replace it at this point, it should last quite awhile. The hoses are newer as well, so we should be good.

Sounds like I have almost everything covered then!

My VIN:    11596

If you are doing the valve cover gaskets I think it would be easier to check valve clearance with the engine on a stand rather than in the car since the exhaust is off and you can turn the crank easier. Depends what kind of exhaust you have.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

With the engine out it makes working on it much easier but there is almost nothing that can't be done with the motor in the car. Not the case with the transmission. The rear main seal is one thing. For the manual there is the clutch and the notorious roll pins. Since the motor is out it is worth doing the exhaust manifold gaskets and studs. Before putting the motor in I would do a compression test. Once you get the motor in and running I would do an oil change.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5510

Quote Originally Posted by uhhair View Post
    2. Exhaust manifold gaskets (Since the exhaust has to come off for the engine to get pulled)
    When you pull the engine, you don't have to take the exhaust manifolds off. They can stay on, but you'll need to remove the muffler, and it might be easier to pull the engine if you remove the catalytic converter and crossover pipe.